Training events policy ... first test case

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

Everyone on this list who spoke up approved of the "No more than one training
event per company per month" policy for training events.  The purpose of this
policy is to prevent training companies from messing with our events listings
in order to grab the "top 3 spots" from the home page.

EnterpriseDB has just submitted 3 trainings for November and 2 for December.
While I believe that EDB actually plans on holding all of these trainings, it
is the kind of flooding of the training listings that we're trying to
prevent.

How should we suggest they revise the training listings?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Training events policy ... first test case

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 11:58:28 -0700
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Everyone on this list who spoke up approved of the "No more than one
> training event per company per month" policy for training events.
> The purpose of this policy is to prevent training companies from
> messing with our events listings in order to grab the "top 3 spots"
> from the home page.
>
> EnterpriseDB has just submitted 3 trainings for November and 2 for
> December. While I believe that EDB actually plans on holding all of
> these trainings, it is the kind of flooding of the training listings
> that we're trying to prevent.
>
> How should we suggest they revise the training listings?

Have them submit a single event that states:

Training events from November thru December

Joshua D. Drake

PostgreSQL solutions since 1997  http://www.commandprompt.com/        UNIQUE NOT NULL

Re: Training events policy ... first test case

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robert,

> Also, given enough companies and bad scheduling luck, you can
> always get bumped off the main page, so I think we should approve them
> all.

They problem is that we *know* we have companies who are scheduling
training sessions which will never be held, in order to keep their names
in that "top 3".  Maybe we need to revisit how training events are listed
on the home page?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Training events policy ... first test case

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:

Re: Training events policy ... first test case

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Tuesday 23 October 2007 14:59, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 11:58:28 -0700
>
> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > Everyone on this list who spoke up approved of the "No more than one
> > training event per company per month" policy for training events.
> > The purpose of this policy is to prevent training companies from
> > messing with our events listings in order to grab the "top 3 spots"
> > from the home page.
> >
> > EnterpriseDB has just submitted 3 trainings for November and 2 for
> > December. While I believe that EDB actually plans on holding all of
> > these trainings, it is the kind of flooding of the training listings
> > that we're trying to prevent.
> >
> > How should we suggest they revise the training listings?
>
> Have them submit a single event that states:
>
> Training events from November thru December

That seems to suck in a number of ways; penalizes companies who offer more
diverse training schedules, penalizes users looking for training in specific
locales.  The classes between november and december have a month interval, if
no other classes are taking place during that time, I think it is ok that
thier listings show up, so for me this is not an issue.  Now, looking at each
month individually, if we approve all 3 november events, currently that would
knock out the modern course untill the 8th, which kind of sucks too.  The tie
breaker for me is that it seems what is really important to someone looking
for training is the date and location, so that two classes on different
continents should not be penalized because they are put on by the same
company (this thinking is re-enforced in that we dont show company names on
the main page).  Also, given enough companies and bad scheduling luck, you

Date:
On Tuesday 23 October 2007 17:28, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Robert,
>
> > Also, given enough companies and bad scheduling luck, you can
> > always get bumped off the main page, so I think we should approve them
> > all.
>
> They problem is that we *know* we have companies who are scheduling
> training sessions which will never be held, in order to keep their names
> in that "top 3".  Maybe we need to revisit how training events are listed
> on the home page?

Ok, but we know enterprisedb isnt one of them, so I say let them have at it,
and for companies we find out are doing this, we put them on probation and
limit them to 1 posting a month.

--
Robert Treat

Re: Training events policy ... first test case

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> > Also, given enough companies and bad scheduling luck, you can
> > always get bumped off the main page, so I think we should approve them
> > all.
>
> They problem is that we *know* we have companies who are scheduling
> training sessions which will never be held, in order to keep their names
> in that "top 3".  Maybe we need to revisit how training events are listed
> on the home page?

If we _know_ they do this why don't we put a clear policy on what's allowed (which we should do anyway) and if they
breakthat we limit them to _zero_ posts for a couple of months until they start complying?

Unrelated, we could change the frontpage to only show the first event per company. The rest would only be listed on the
detailspage.

/Magnus

Re: Training events policy ... first test case

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Magnus,

> Unrelated, we could change the frontpage to only show the first event per
> company. The rest would only be listed on the details page.

That's a great idea!

What about also making the representation of training events more compact?
Currently we have a fairly space-consumptive layout:

2007-10-22 – 2007-10-26
PostgreSQL Administration Boot Camp
(Morrisville, NC, United States)

2007-11-13 – 2007-11-15
PostgreSQL Database Implementation, Management, and Tuning
(London, United Kingdom)

2007-11-12 – 2007-11-16
Intense PostgreSQL Training (Certification Available)
(Ontario, CA, United States)

What if we did:

Upcoming Training

PostgreSQL Administration ... 2007-10-22
PostgreSQL Database Implem ...2007-11-13
Intense PostgreSQL Trainin ...2007-11-12
PostgreSQL Tuning & Perfor ...2007-12-01
etc. ...

With all links actually going to:
http://www.postgresql.org/about/eventarchive#training
(yes, we'd have to create that header link)

That would make the fighting for the "top 3" spot less intense.

--

Date:

Re: Training events policy ... first test case

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 13:10:19 -0300
"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:

> > What if we did:
> >
> > Upcoming Training
> >
> > PostgreSQL Administration ... 2007-10-22
> > PostgreSQL Database Implem ...2007-11-13
> > Intense PostgreSQL Trainin ...2007-11-12
> > PostgreSQL Tuning & Perfor ...2007-12-01
> > etc. ...
>
> I think you need *at least* Country in there somewhere, if not
> State/Province ... ppl outside the US, for instance, might grow tired
> of clicking through if the result is always something in the US, when
> all that really interests them are stuff in the UK ...

Country and State/Province.

Joshua D. Drake

> - ----
> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services
> (http://www.hub.org) Email .
> scrappy@hub.org                              MSN . scrappy@hub.org
> Yahoo . yscrappy               Skype: hub.org        ICQ . 7615664

PostgreSQL solutions since 1997  http://www.commandprompt.com/        UNIQUE NOT NULL

Re: Training events policy ... first test case

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

> > > PostgreSQL Administration ... 2007-10-22
> > > PostgreSQL Database Implem ...2007-11-13
> > > Intense PostgreSQL Trainin ...2007-11-12
> > > PostgreSQL Tuning & Perfor ...2007-12-01
> > > etc. ...
> >
> > I think you need *at least* Country in there somewhere, if not
> > State/Province ... ppl outside the US, for instance, might grow tired
> > of clicking through if the result is always something in the US, when
> > all that really interests them are stuff in the UK ...
>
> Country and State/Province.

Hmmm, let's stay on target here.  What I'm trying to do is to make those "top
3" spots less valuable so that training providers won't fight over them.
That is, so list enough on the home page to make people realize training
exists, but have all links go to the full training listings.

Right now the issue is that training events get something like 1000 views a
week while their on the home page, and < 100 views a week otherwise.  That's
enough of a difference to make providers manipulate the listings a bit.

So, I'd be happy with this as well:

USA, Atlanta ... 2007-10-22
USA, Edison ...2007-11-13
UK, London ...2007-11-12
Sao Paulo, Brazil ...2007-12-01
etc.

I *don't* buy the argument that "we can trust EDB so they're exempt from the
restrictions we level on other providers," since we don't seem to have cut
OTG any slack whatsoever despite their contributions.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Training events policy ... first test case

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 10:51:28 -0700
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> Folks,

> > > I think you need *at least* Country in there somewhere, if not
> > > State/Province ... ppl outside the US, for instance, might grow
> > > tired of clicking through if the result is always something in
> > > the US, when all that really interests them are stuff in the
> > > UK ...
> >
> > Country and State/Province.
>
> Hmmm, let's stay on target here.  What I'm trying to do is to make
> those "top 3" spots less valuable so that training providers won't
> fight over them. That is, so list enough on the home page to make
> people realize training exists, but have all links go to the full
> training listings.

I believe we are. I agree with what you are trying to do, but I also
don't think providing unnecessary clicks to our community helps us any.

> Right now the issue is that training events get something like 1000
> views a week while their on the home page, and < 100 views a week
> otherwise.  That's enough of a difference to make providers
> manipulate the listings a bit.

Certainly.

> So, I'd be happy with this as well:
>
> USA, Atlanta ... 2007-10-22
> USA, Edison ...2007-11-13
> UK, London ...2007-11-12
> Sao Paulo, Brazil ...2007-12-01
> etc.

Hmm I like that. I guess it depends on how much room we have on the
page for such a thing. One thought would be to swap LATEST NEWS for
UPCOMING TRAINING.

That would give more room to what is likely our most sought after
information on the front page.

> I *don't* buy the argument that "we can trust EDB so they're exempt
> from the restrictions we level on other providers," since we don't
> seem to have cut OTG any slack whatsoever despite their contributions.

I believe that we should not trust *any* company that is submitting
their news through a PR firm. PR firms, lie, on purpose, for profit.
They make money on manipulation, not truth or substance.

Sincerely,

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 10:51:28 -0700
> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Hmm I like that. I guess it depends on how much room we have on the
> page for such a thing. One thought would be to swap LATEST NEWS for
> UPCOMING TRAINING.
>
> That would give more room to what is likely our most sought after
> information on the front page.

I don't like that part :-)

>> I *don't* buy the argument that "we can trust EDB so they're exempt
>> from the restrictions we level on other providers," since we don't
>> seem to have cut OTG any slack whatsoever despite their contributions.
>
> I believe that we should not trust *any* company that is submitting
> their news through a PR firm. PR firms, lie, on purpose, for profit.
> They make money on manipulation, not truth or substance.

Why does it matter how they're submitting it? Plus, we're talking
events, not news here.

But if we have a policy, *everybody* should be treated the same way
against it. Including edb, and including cmd if that would become an
issue. The only exception that would be reasonable is if there was a
completely community-driven not-for-profit training event, IMHO.

//Magnus

Re: Training events policy ... first test case

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 20:30:23 +0200
Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> > That would give more room to what is likely our most sought after
> > information on the front page.
>
> I don't like that part :-)

Well I am not suggesting removing news. I think that would be bad.

> But if we have a policy, *everybody* should be treated the same way
> against it. Including edb, and including cmd if that would become an
> issue. The only exception that would be reasonable is if there was a
> completely community-driven not-for-profit training event, IMHO.

I did say *any*. Everyone should be treated fairly (although I believe
that contributors should get first billing but that is a different
thread).

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Date:

Re: Training events policy ... first test case

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Hmmm, let's stay on target here.  What I'm trying to do is to make
> those "top 3" spots less valuable so that training providers won't
> fight over them. That is, so list enough on the home page to make
> people realize training exists, but have all links go to the full
> training listings.

I suggest removing the top 3 items from the home page and put the
complete listing on a different page altogether.  A link
called "Training" should be obvious enough.  In reality, the training
that happens now or next week shouldn't really interest anyone.
Attending that sort of stuff is planned months in advance.

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Training events policy ... first test case

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Peter, All,

> I suggest removing the top 3 items from the home page and put the
> complete listing on a different page altogether.  A link
> called "Training" should be obvious enough.  In reality, the training
> that happens now or next week shouldn't really interest anyone.
> Attending that sort of stuff is planned months in advance.

I think this makes sense.  It certainly would be the easiest way to fix
things.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Training events policy ... first test case

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 19:01 -0300, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> > So, I'd be happy with this as well:
> >
> > USA, Atlanta ... 2007-10-22
> > USA, Edison ...2007-11-13
> > UK, London ...2007-11-12
> > Sao Paulo, Brazil ...2007-12-01
> > etc.
>
> I like this one ... shows that training can be found around the world ...

Not sure about that. It assumes people are more interested in location
than they are about content. People used to do "training", but now the
range of available classes is increasing and not all training is the
same, so the short description is essential, the location is not.

The main issue seems to be that there are only 3 slots.

We're wasting loads of space elsewhere on the home page and we should
make better use of that. Or, as Magnus suggested way back, have the main
page scroll down the page further.

Things are pretty much the same with blogs. People writing one line
blogs to force other people's names off the list.

Maybe we need some kind of regionalisation, randomisation or click-thru
oriented prioritisation. Good blogs stay higher, longer etc..

--  Simon Riggs 2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: Training events policy ... first test case

From
Chander Ganesan
Date:
Hello,<br /><br /> Josh Berkus wrote: <blockquote cite="mid:200710241658.21587.josh@agliodbs.com" type="cite"><pre
wrap="">Peter,All,

complete listing on a different page altogether.  A link
called "Training" should be obvious enough.  In reality, the training
that happens now or next week shouldn't really interest anyone.
I think this makes sense.  It certainly would be the easiest way to fix
things.
 </pre></blockquote> Actually, I think that its not unusual for us to see a few enrollments the week before a class...
solisting classes that are "next week" is a good idea - i'm sure this is a trend seen by all training companies....
otherwisego but for the cost of last minute travel.  In our case, we offer an "all inclusive" package, that we usually
honorup until the day before a class (assuming there is space in the class).  <br /><br /> Showing classes that are
currentlyoccurring doesn't seem like a good idea since its too late to enroll.  However, it's not uncommon for a course
startingnext week to not make it to the homepage until the week it starts...and for that to drive some last minute

Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.
One Copley Parkway, Suite 210
Morrisville, NC  27560
919-463-0999/877-258-8987

Re: Training events policy ... first test case

From
"Dave Page"

Here's a possibly crazy idea - how about we remove the 3 or 4 listings from /index.html altogether and replace them
witha dynamically generated summary saying something like:

"There are 24 training events in 9 countries scheduled over the next 6 months from OTG, EnterpriseDB, Command Prompt,
2ndQuadrant and others. View the complete schedule to find the PostgreSQL training you want."

The numbers are easy to calcuate of course, and we could just grab 3 or 4 company names randomly.

/D

Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

I like it. Takes away the whole problem, really. So +1 from me.

//Magnus

Re: Training events policy ... first test case

Date:
"Dave Page" <dpage@postgresql.org> writes:
> Here's a possibly crazy idea - how about we remove the 3 or 4 listings from /index.html altogether and replace them
witha dynamically generated summary saying something like:

> "There are 24 training events in 9 countries scheduled over the next 6 months from OTG, EnterpriseDB, Command Prompt,
2ndQuadrant and others. View the complete schedule to find the PostgreSQL training you want."

Love it, if not too difficult to implement.  Solves the whole problem.
        regards, tom lane

Date:

Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> --On Saturday, November 03, 2007 14:15:32 -0400 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>
> wrote:
>
>> "Dave Page" <dpage@postgresql.org> writes:
>>> Here's a possibly crazy idea - how about we remove the 3 or 4 listings from
>>> /index.html altogether and replace them with a dynamically generated summary
>>> saying something like:
>>> "There are 24 training events in 9 countries scheduled over the next 6
>>> months from OTG, EnterpriseDB, Command Prompt, 2nd Quadrant and others. View
>>> the complete schedule to find the PostgreSQL training you want."
>> Love it, if not too difficult to implement.  Solves the whole problem.
>
> That 'from' list could get fairly long, no?  Why not just cut out the 'from'
> part of it, leave it as '24 training events in 9 countries schedualed over the
> next 6 months' and then a click thru to the actual list?

Daves suggestion was to pull a couple of company names at random, and
then include the "and others" part. That way you'll get a circulation on
who's listed there without making the list take up half our frontpage.

I like that better than to cut the names completely. Still with click
thru to the actual list, of course.

//Magnus

Date:

Date: