EnterpriseDB Postgres

From
Lukas Kahwe Smith
Date:
Hi,

I read about EnterpriseDB PostGres [1] today. Guess since its open
source it does not contain DynaTune (or what their auto tuning feature
for EnterpriseDB is called). Might be a nice addition to be able to get
this unbundled as a binary .. for this distribution? At any rate another
PostgreSQL distribution, well not another actually its "the first-ever
professional-grade distribution".

regards,
Lukas

[1] http://www.enterprisedb.com/news_events/press_releases/07_08_07.do

Re: EnterpriseDB Postgres

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Am Mittwoch, 8. August 2007 17:14 schrieb Lukas Kahwe Smith:
> I read about EnterpriseDB PostGres [1] today. Guess since its open
> source it does not contain DynaTune (or what their auto tuning feature
> for EnterpriseDB is called). Might be a nice addition to be able to get
> this unbundled as a binary .. for this distribution? At any rate another
> PostgreSQL distribution, well not another actually its "the first-ever
> professional-grade distribution".

It's basically PostgreSQL and regular add-on components installed in an
unusual way.  Certainly not the first, and arguably not professional.

http://people.planetpostgresql.org/peter/index.php?/archives/9-EnterpriseDB-and-the-Professional-Grade.html

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: EnterpriseDB Postgres

From
Dave Page
Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 8. August 2007 17:14 schrieb Lukas Kahwe Smith:
>> I read about EnterpriseDB PostGres [1] today. Guess since its open
>> source it does not contain DynaTune (or what their auto tuning feature
>> for EnterpriseDB is called). Might be a nice addition to be able to get
>> this unbundled as a binary .. for this distribution? At any rate another
>> PostgreSQL distribution, well not another actually its "the first-ever
>> professional-grade distribution".
>
> It's basically PostgreSQL and regular add-on components installed in an
> unusual way.

Unusual?

> Certainly not the first,

Barring pgInstaller, it's the first bundled distribution I recall seeing
available at no cost.

> and arguably not professional.

Thanks. The Windows build was written by me, using the same technology,
and indeed much of our existing code from pgInstaller. Please detail
what is unprofessional so I can fix both packages.

Regards, Dave

Re: EnterpriseDB Postgres

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Peter,

On Wednesday 8 August 2007 11:36, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 8. August 2007 17:14 schrieb Lukas Kahwe Smith:
> > I read about EnterpriseDB PostGres [1] today. Guess since its open
> > source it does not contain DynaTune (or what their auto tuning feature
> > for EnterpriseDB is called). Might be a nice addition to be able to get
> > this unbundled as a binary .. for this distribution? At any rate another
> > PostgreSQL distribution, well not another actually its "the first-ever
> > professional-grade distribution".
>
> It's basically PostgreSQL and regular add-on components installed in an
> unusual way.  Certainly not the first, and arguably not professional.

http://people.planetpostgresql.org/peter/index.php?/archives/9-EnterpriseDB-and-the-Professional-Grade.html

I appreciate the analysis you reported on your blog.

The PR firm, Prequent, Inc. made the announcement, Might I suggest that
somebody from this company, http://www.prequent.com/about-us.html, get on the
advocacy list so as to get up to become sensitized to the salient issues.

Robert

Re: EnterpriseDB Postgres

From
"Joshua D. Drake"