Re: EnterpriseDB Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Dave Page
Subject Re: EnterpriseDB Postgres
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Joshua_Kramer wrote:

>> I do think this language harms PostgreSQL because it makes it sound
>> like previously it was only available in unprofessional packaging,
>> which implies
>
> Erg, I have a dumb question.  What does this package provide over and
> above the standard PG .msi's available for Windows?  Is it merely a
> consistency so that Linux newbies can get an easy Postgres package too?
>
> I'm just wondering.  I would beleive that those inclined to develop
> using MySQL would also be inclined to develop under Windows - I didn't
> find it difficult at all to install PG 8.2.4 or pgAdminIII on my C5
> boxes...

As a disclaimer, I build both the PG msi's and I produced the one thats
available from postgres.enterprisedb.com (though I'm handing the
maintenance of that over to another team).

The EDB installer has a number of differences. For the people here, they
will largely be uninteresting (bar 2 or 3, which will likely be in PG
8.3) -

- Is it vastly simplified. For example, a number of the installer steps
are gone, including the grid of checkboxes for contrib modules. The
feature selection tree has also been reduced to 3 core elements.

- It has a few less pieces of bundled software - in particular, no
pl/java, and no oledb.

- It will (in the next version) include Apache, PHP and phpPgAdmin as an
option.

- It includes pgAdmin 1.8 beta 2(.5), and the debugger plugin to allow
pl/pgsql debugging.

- It is Vista compatible.

- It includes a simple demo database.

- pgAgent is pre-installed (but needs a pgpass.conf file which we don't
silently create).

There's probably something else I forgot, but that's about it.

Regards, Dave.