Postgres: The First Experience
Your first guide to the galaxy of Postgres
This short pamphlet provides an overview of PostgreSQL DBMS, covering the history of its development, the main features, and a product roadmap. I you are just getting started, you can use this book as a step-by-step installation and configuration guide.
We hope it will make your first experience with PostgreSQL more pleasant and help you blend into the PostgreSQL community.
A printed version of this book is often available for free at conferences where Prosgres Professional is participating.
Contents at a glance:
- What is PostgreSQL
- What’s new in PostgreSQL 12
- Installation on Linux and Windows
- Connecting to a server, writing SQL queries, and using transactions
- Learning the SQL language on a demo database
- Using PostgreSQL with your application
- Minimal server setup
- About a useful pgAdmin application
- Advanced features: full-text search, JSON format, and foreign data wrappers
- Education and certification opportunities
- Keeping up with all updates
- About the Postgres Professional company