Re: EnterpriseDB Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Decibel!
Subject Re: EnterpriseDB Postgres
Date
Re: EnterpriseDB Postgres  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 07:28:22PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> Joshua_Kramer wrote:
> >
> >> I do think this language harms PostgreSQL because it makes it sound
> >> like previously it was only available in unprofessional packaging,
> >> which implies
> >
> > Erg, I have a dumb question.  What does this package provide over and
> > above the standard PG .msi's available for Windows?  Is it merely a
> > consistency so that Linux newbies can get an easy Postgres package too?
> >
> > I'm just wondering.  I would beleive that those inclined to develop
> > using MySQL would also be inclined to develop under Windows - I didn't
> > find it difficult at all to install PG 8.2.4 or pgAdminIII on my C5
> > boxes...
>
> As a disclaimer, I build both the PG msi's and I produced the one thats
> available from postgres.enterprisedb.com (though I'm handing the
> maintenance of that over to another team).
>
> The EDB installer has a number of differences. For the people here, they
> will largely be uninteresting (bar 2 or 3, which will likely be in PG
> 8.3) -

Given the target of newbies, something we should probably add to that
list is turning autovacuum on. Leaving that off is going to leave a bad
taste in the mouth of a lot of folks, far worse than our minimalist
configuration.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim Nasby                        decibel@decibel.org

Attachment