Re: EnterpriseDB Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: EnterpriseDB Postgres
Date
Re: EnterpriseDB Postgres
List pgsql-advocacy

Dave Page wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Dave Page wrote:
>>> Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> You were including server, admin tools and drivers in a point 'n' click
> distro-independent installer? I thought Mammoth was a rebranded server
> (now community standard).

No it was a complete distribution. Not it was not point in click well
except that you could use *standard* tools ;) such as yum/apt etc.. (we
never did get yum working quite right).

>> That is why we have so many packges in FC (for example now). Go Devrim!
>
> Absolutely - and we hope that will continue, just as I will be
> continuing with pgInstaller.
>
> The EDB Postgres distros are aimed squarely at new users and those that
> want a quick and easy install - we don't want them to have to understand
> all the contrib module options in pgInstaller, or figure out the right
> combinations of RPMs (not forgetting the libpq-compat one!),

And breaking package management in the process. I am not trying to start
a war here, but really, if it was done correctly you would have set up
and apt server, a yum server etc... which is much more in line with the
goal I would think.

> We want these users to just download, run and get hooked. Later, when
> they decide to deploy, thats when they might choose to switch to the RPM
> distros or pgInstaller, so they can tailor their production systems to
> their precise needs.

But that won't happen. Instead the users will be contained in the bubble
that is the installer package (any not just EDB) and then when we say,
download the latest RPMs, debs, use apt, use ports.. whatever, they go
what? Please repeat.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Regards, Dave