Re: EnterpriseDB Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Derek Rodner
Subject Re: EnterpriseDB Postgres
Date
Re: EnterpriseDB Postgres  ("Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com>)
Re: EnterpriseDB Postgres  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-advocacy
Peter, Lukas, et al,

What I would like to convey to the community is that this release is not
targeted at you.  You are already Postgres experts.  You all already
know how this works and have intimate knowledge of all of the contrib
modules and add-ons.  You are the experts.

This release is designed for the developer who has never used PostgreSQL
before. He may have heard of it and how it is better than MySQL.  But,
in the past, he has opted for MySQL because it is a simple download and
ready
for deployment in his eyes.  This release is intended for those folks.
For example, take a look at ohloh.net.  MySQL is the 5th highest rated
project.  PostgreSQL is rated much lower.  Don't we want that to be
reversed?  In my entire life, I have always been the underdog and I
thrive on that.  My college basketball team is always the underdog.
EnterpriseDB is the underdog to Oracle.  Postgres is the underdog to
MySQL.  I am starting to get sick of that and want Postgres to stop
being the underdog.  We know we are better than MySQL.  Most of the
world knows we are better than MySQL.  We are tying to bring Postgres to
the masses so they can really understand it.

Anyone who is already familiar with Postgres or any real DBA is going to
build it himself from the Postgres community and he will be able to do
it quickly.

While the wording of the press release is cause for concern in the
community because of "first-ever" and "professional grade", we need to
do this for marketing purposes.  If we had said "EnterpriseDB releases
yet another PostgreSQL distribution" then no one would cover it.

We are trying to help PostgreSQL, and in turn, help ourselves.  I would
be interested to see how the hits on www.postgresql.org and
www.slony.info, etc. increased since this announcement.

Derek M. Rodner
Director, Product Strategy