Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)

From
"John Wells"
Date:
Yes, I know you've seen the above subject before, so please be gentle with
the flamethrowers.

I'm preparing to enter a discussion with management at my company
regarding going forward as either a MySql shop or a Postgresql shop.

It's my opinion that we should be using PG, because of the full ACID
support, and the license involved.  A consultant my company hired before
bringing me in is pushing hard for MySql, citing speed and community
support, as well as ACID support.

My biggest concern with MySQL is licensing.  We need to keep costs low,
and last I remember the parent company was being pretty strict on "fair
use" under the GPL.  If I recall, they even said a company would have to
license the commercial version if it were simply used operationally within
the company.

Also, I was under the impression that Postgresql had pretty much caught up
with MySql in the speed category...is this not the case?

Finally, ACID support in mysql always seemed kind of a hack....perhaps
this has changed?

Thanks for any input (armament ;) ) you can provide.

John

Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)

From
"John Wells"
Date:
Sorry for the repost again.  I emailed the Admin asking to cancel it (I
originally posted from a non-subscribed address), but perhaps he missed
it.

John

John Wells said:
> Yes, I know you've seen the above subject before, so please be gentle with
> the flamethrowers.
>
> I'm preparing to enter a discussion with management at my company
> regarding going forward as either a MySql shop or a Postgresql shop.
>
> It's my opinion that we should be using PG, because of the full ACID
> support, and the license involved.  A consultant my company hired before
> bringing me in is pushing hard for MySql, citing speed and community
> support, as well as ACID support.
>
> My biggest concern with MySQL is licensing.  We need to keep costs low,
> and last I remember the parent company was being pretty strict on "fair
> use" under the GPL.  If I recall, they even said a company would have to
> license the commercial version if it were simply used operationally within
> the company.
>
> Also, I was under the impression that Postgresql had pretty much caught up
> with MySql in the speed category...is this not the case?
>
> Finally, ACID support in mysql always seemed kind of a hack....perhaps
> this has changed?
>
> Thanks for any input (armament ;) ) you can provide.
>
> John

Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)

From
Al Hulaton
Date:
> I'm preparing to enter a discussion with management at my company
> regarding going forward as either a MySql shop or a Postgresql shop.

- PostgreSQL supports constraints. MySQL doesn't; programmers need to
take care of that from the client side

- Define a 32-bit field in MySQL. Insert a 64-bit number instead. Common
sense tells you the value would be rejected. Yet MySQL happily folds it
in and carries on its merry way.

- Triggers: PostgreSQL yes, MySQL no. Translates into more work for your
MySQL developers in both creating your app and moving it forward with
each rev.

- Transactions: We've been here before. Suffice to say, MySQL+InnoDB is
almost there. Plain ol' MySQL doesn't have it, which tells you something
about their philosophy towards database design.

- Speed: mHz for mHz, MySQL has PostgreSQL beat for simple searches.
Once you start getting complex, PostgreSQL is competitive. I think this
speed issue is overrated: over time, PostgreSQL has sped up and MySQL
has slowed down which is pretty impressive, considering both have added
features from their early versions.

- Scalability: MySQL dies before PostgreSQL does. PostgreSQL under
extreme load may slow down, but it'll finish. MySQL simply gives up.

If the project is for slapping dynamic html on a page with data not
crucial for business, MySQL is probably fine. But if we're talking
business processes, data you care dearly about, MySQL is out. Lack of
constraints is the deal-breaker for me.

PostgreSQL is more comparable to Oracle. MySQL is more like Access --
quick and dirty.

But boy, they sure are good at marketing. Probably because MySQL is
developed by a single company with venture cap and a public relations
company whereas PostgreSQL is developed out in the open by a close-knit
community.

--
Best,
Al Hulaton    |  Sr. Account Engineer  |  Command Prompt, Inc.

Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)

From
Diogo Biazus
Date:
John Wells wrote:

>Yes, I know you've seen the above subject before, so please be gentle with
>the flamethrowers.
>
>I'm preparing to enter a discussion with management at my company
>regarding going forward as either a MySql shop or a Postgresql shop.
>
>It's my opinion that we should be using PG, because of the full ACID
>support, and the license involved.  A consultant my company hired before
>bringing me in is pushing hard for MySql, citing speed and community
>support, as well as ACID support.
>
>My biggest concern with MySQL is licensing.  We need to keep costs low,
>and last I remember the parent company was being pretty strict on "fair
>use" under the GPL.  If I recall, they even said a company would have to
>license the commercial version if it were simply used operationally within
>the company.
>
>Also, I was under the impression that Postgresql had pretty much caught up
>with MySql in the speed category...is this not the case?
>
>Finally, ACID support in mysql always seemed kind of a hack....perhaps
>this has changed?
>
>Thanks for any input (armament ;) ) you can provide.

Take a look at this document: http://sql-info.de/mysql/gotchas.html
You will find that there are some "features" that are realy undesirable
in a serious SGBD.

--
Diogo Biazus
diogo@ikono.com.br

Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)

From
"Dann Corbit"