Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig O'Shannessy
Subject Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)
Date
Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)  (Andrew Rawnsley <ronz@ravensfield.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Sun, 30 Nov 2003, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> There is another thing too-- MySQL manages connection permissions entirely
>
> >within the RDBMS, while PostgreSQL relies on the pg_hba.conf.  This makes
> >managing a database server in a shared hosting environment a bit harder.
> >While I appreciate the PostgreSQL way of doing things, I realize that it is
> >a bit harder to make work for the average web hosting provider.  I am
> >currently looking at the possibility of building a solution, but no one has
> >expressed interest, so I am not sure.
> >

> Ahh just run different instances for each customer.

This wouldn't really work for a ISP would it?  A fairly low spec machine
with a few hundred low-hit websites, maybe 60 of them wanting a database
for their blogs?

My ISP runs mysql, I don't get shell access :((, but I can remotely
connect to their mysql server from home.  If running sixty instances of
PostgreSQL, wouldn't you have to have 60 different port numbers, not to
mention a whole lot of RAM?

I've asked them to put up PostgreSQL as an alternative, but they just say
"too hard" and don't want to talk about it.