Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)
Date
List pgsql-general
There is another thing too-- MySQL manages connection permissions entirely

>within the RDBMS, while PostgreSQL relies on the pg_hba.conf.  This makes
>managing a database server in a shared hosting environment a bit harder.
>While I appreciate the PostgreSQL way of doing things, I realize that it is
>a bit harder to make work for the average web hosting provider.  I am
>currently looking at the possibility of building a solution, but no one has
>expressed interest, so I am not sure.

Ahh just run different instances for each customer.

>FWIW, here is what I have in mind:
>A PostgreSQL database with hooks into the pg_hba.conf so that new user
>accounts can be created, along with databases, etc. and all permissions
>properly managed.  Whether the pg_hba should be parsed and treated as an
>external table using PL/PerlU

I would use pl/c because you won't have the external perl requirement.

+1-503-222-2783 - jd@commandprompt.com - http://www.commandprompt.com
Editor-N-Chief - PostgreSQl.Org - http://www.postgresql.org