Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Unihost Web Hosting
Subject Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)
Date
List pgsql-general
Hiya,

As I've mentioned before, we happilly run and offer PostgreSQL and MySQL hosting to our customers.  We also offer shell access which simplifies things a little.  I'm a little confused as to why people find having auth control from pg_hba.conf a problem?  We never use the same passwords or pam for our DBs either, since it offers a little more security should one or the other be compromised.  If you use a tool like webmin, it not really any more complicated.  Anyone who complains about it being "too hard" to offer PG as a shared hosting option just hasn't investigated the possibility.

In my experience, many ISPs and hosts don't offer it because they beleive the ROI (time, learning, extra maintenance, patching, updates,etc) will not good.

Regards

Tony.