Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig O'Shannessy
Subject Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)
Date
List pgsql-general
I'd agree that this is probably laziness, or to be fairer, a ROI issue,
and again comes down to MySql having more mindshare.

I was mainly saying that the statement "Ahh just run different instances
for each customer." doesn't sit very well with me, and I doubt it would
for any ISP.

I can't see much problem with pg_hba.conf, it would make the installation
automation a bit more "hacky" probably, because you'd probably write
shell/sed/awk scripts to modify the pg_hba.conf, and have to SIGHUP
postmaster.  It'd also makes it a bit hard to query the information in
said file from an automated website admin program, but doesn't seem like a
biggie.

I wasn't meaning to imply that *I* thought it was "too hard", just what I
got told by my ISP.  They could have meant many kinds of "hard", from "too
little time, too much to do" through to "I'm not so bright and the
database contractors too expensive".

Craig.