Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)
Date
List pgsql-general
Shridhar Daithankar wrote:

> Good benchmarks are hard to come by for two reasons
>
> 1. It is very difficult not to be blamed biased.
> 2. Featuer compensation. What if you run a postgresql benchmark with triggers
> and views, how do you test it with mysql anyways?

Good benchmark implementations you mean.

If you look for example at the TPC-W definitions, they define an
artificial bookstore web interface, from what communications have to be
encrypted down to what consitency constraints have to be guaranteed.
They do not force you to implement these constraints in any particular
way or tell you what part of the application logic has to run where. If
you're using PostgreSQL, you are absolutely fine implementing whatever
makes sense as a view, a stored procedure, whatever comes handy. Of
course, for the comparision to that other databaze, you have to
implement all these requirements in your middleware ... and then you get
into this biased blaming and so on and so forth.

Jan