Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)
Date
List pgsql-general
Randolf Richardson, DevNet SysOp 29 wrote:

>>- Define a 32-bit field in MySQL. Insert a 64-bit number instead. Common
>>sense tells you the value would be rejected. Yet MySQL happily folds it
>>in and carries on its merry way.
>         That's unacceptable.  To me, this is a complete show-stopper because I
> simply won't tolerate data loss due to an idiotic design flaw.

Worse. It is no data loss. It is loss of data integrity. If I know I have lost
two hours of work, I will crib but redo it. If I know around 5% of records are
messed up by database in last 5 years but don't know which, just think where do
I stand.

>>- Speed: mHz for mHz, MySQL has PostgreSQL beat for simple searches.
>>Once you start getting complex, PostgreSQL is competitive. I think this
>>speed issue is overrated: over time, PostgreSQL has sped up and MySQL
>>has slowed down which is pretty impressive, considering both have added
>>features from their early versions.
>         Do you know of any published benchmarks for this?  I need to convince
> some people who are hell-bent on MySQL being fast for everything that
> they're mis-informed, and they refuse to take anyone's word for it.

Good benchmarks are hard to come by for two reasons

1. It is very difficult not to be blamed biased.
2. Featuer compensation. What if you run a postgresql benchmark with triggers
and views, how do you test it with mysql anyways?

I would suggest you to try OSDB becnhmarks

http://osdb.sourceforge.net/

Your results will be great contribution to the community.

Or try porting pgbench to mysql innodb.

Actually I would like to see what the this benchmark does. Any prior knowledge
of the results?

>>- Scalability: MySQL dies before PostgreSQL does. PostgreSQL under
>>extreme load may slow down, but it'll finish. MySQL simply gives up.
>
> [sNip]
>
>         I've experienced this very problem with MySQL actually.  It seems that
> Apache James (an open source Java-based SMTP/POP3 mail server) running on
> FreeBSD will trigger this problem very quickly as soon as multiple users
> attempt to send large (greater than 10 MBs) file attachments -- perhaps
> JDBC is part of the problem, but in the Apache James error logs there is
> indication of MySQL connectivity problems (also during busy times on
> systems sending approximately 500,000 eMails per day).

Try dbmail. I am no mail admin but that is a mail server which works off
postgresql/mysql. http://www.dbmail.org

  Shridhar