Re: Postgresql vs. MySql - need feature matrix for - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Postgresql vs. MySql - need feature matrix for
Date
List pgsql-general
If you'd like to head up this list, I'm sure people will answer any
questions you might have. Getting the two communities to agree will be
tricky, for example, you would have to break down the features into
minute detail: support subselects in SELECT clause, supports subselects
in FROM clause, supports subselects in WHERE clause.

then theres also the areas where the two project simply disagree... one
area is (something like) supporting 1 -- 1 = 0 i think, which mysql
supports but we dont. (course neither does the spec...)

and finally you need to work out how your going to define supporting
something. In postgresql we have basically two levels of supported
functionality... coded but not released, and released code. in mysql
they have alpha, beta, gamma... maybe more? and they have "plugins" that
might be needed in some functionality (think innodb for transactions,
and let's gloss over whether their implementation is acid compliant)

so just be prepared if your going to do it. also, if you do do it, i'd
like to see a feature comparison against some more interesting
candidates, like oracle or informix

Robert Treat