Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Randolf Richardson
Subject Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)
Date
List pgsql-general
[sNip]
>> Do you know of any published benchmarks for this?  I need to
>> convince some people who are hell-bent on MySQL being fast for
>> everything that they're mis-informed, and they refuse to take
>> anyone's word for it.
>
> Publishing benchmarks is more than a little troublesome.
>
> The sorts of ways to make PostgreSQL _really shine_, performance-wise,
> involves making use of features that MySQL simply doesn't have.  Fancy
> footwork with stored procedures, for instance.

        Then a different approach is needed.  One idea I can think of is to
come up with a set of both simple and complex objectives, and then see
which databases yield the best results.  I believe this type of testing
would reveal more useful results for someone who's faced with the task of
choosing the right database engine for the job.

> And "they" would (somewhat rightly) object that this would represent a
> test that is "intended to make MySQL fail."

        Unfortunately this is what happens whenever we compare Apples to
Oranges.  Let's refrain from bringing Bananas into this.  ;-D

> And if you start publishing results, MySQL AB might be able to send
> "attack lawyers" at you, irrespective of whether there's a case with

        They can do this regardless of what statements are made.  In fact,
they could even take issue with something completely irrelevant and,
although the courts may laugh it out of the courtroom, it could be very
much like a DoS attack, but I doubt MySQL would be so bold since it would
likely be portrayed as bad publicity from the anti-corporation types who
seem to be quite easy to find in just about every open source community.

> merit.  Virtually all of the commercial databases have a licensing
> clause that forbids publishing benchmarks without the express consent
> of the vendor, and a decent case can be made that this is a legitimate
> 'right' for the vendor to have.

        In that case MySQL could be in a lot of legal trouble in the future
given this web page where they include comparisons with database engine
products from various vendors (e.g., Microsoft, Oracle, SyBase, etc.):

                MySQL Benchmarks
                http://www.mysql.com/information/benchmarks-old.html

> In any case, I would think it doubtful that there is anything
> reasonable to present to people that are so religiously "hell-bent,"
> in any case.  If they don't want to believe you, they will find
> excuses to disbelieve whatever results you may give them.

        Not everyone is hell-bent on brand names when it comes to determining
which products best fit the job at hand.

--
Randolf Richardson - rr@8x.ca
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Please do not eMail me directly when responding
to my postings in the newsgroups.