Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, 2003-11-29 at 04:26, Randolf Richardson wrote:
>         Keep in mind that (at least in Canada) contractual agreements are only
> valid when an aspect called "consideration" exists, which means that both
> parties benefit in some way (which must not be grossly unfair to one side).
>
>         With all this mish-mash of various licenses, I wonder how
> "consideration" would fit in to it all.

Consideration is a concept in contract law.  It has no relevance to
licences, which are NOT contracts.

The essence of a contract is that each party gives something (the
consideration) to the other.  A licence is one-sided.  (However, a
licence may itself be the consideration, as when you pay for commercial
software.)

     "But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord
      and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and
      for ever. Amen."           II Peter 3:18