Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gianni Mariani
Subject Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)
Date
List pgsql-general
Uwe C. Schroeder wrote:

>Actually what I saw a lot is that the decision is made by middle to upper
>management. In order to avoid being blamed for "wrong decision" a lot of thos
>decision makers simply stick to the market leaders. If the stuff then doesn't
>work, their boss will always accept the excuse "but it's the market leader".
>Therefor the decisionmakers job is safe.

In the Real World (TM) things are far more sinister than this.  Consider
the life of this middle management dude.  He has "advice" being shoved
down his throat by people who have no idea how to do his job.  Even if
he does the Right Thing (TM) and it's a blazing success, politics rules
says he has lost as the perception is that he is not a team player.  He
will soon be out of a job - UNDER ALL CIRCUMSTANCES.

I've actually witnessed this happen more than once - successful product,
incredible achievement yet unpopular decisions and CTO/Director and
management quietly disappear.