Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Randolf Richardson
Subject Re: Humor me: Postgresql vs. MySql (esp. licensing)
Date
List pgsql-general
[sNip]
> The biggest advantage MySQL still has over PostgreSQL is the same
> advantage Microsoft has over Unix - entrenchment, both in
> software and mindshare.

        Ah yes, but in Microsoft's case many people are hate them because
there is a perception that their products are the only choice.

        At least with MySQL most users are generally happy with it, so the
situation, although very similar, will be an even more difficult battle in
this database world because there is a general consensus among many Windows
OS users to move to something else (be it Linux-based or not) as long as it
doesn't prevent them from doing all the things they need to do with their
computer on a daily basis.

        SQL standards are certainly a move in the right direction with regards
to preventing the same drastic situation Microsoft has created from
occurring, but since this isn't 100% possible at this time it should at
least be a goal that's promoted throughout the community so as to ensure an
interoperable future -- those who resist it can be questioned about their
motives since it will obviously result in preventing compatibility which
would make it more difficult for users to switch between RDBMSes.

> The marketplace often does the right thing, but when one "was right"
> thing dominates the market, the "new right" thing rarely has an easy
> time.

        The marketplace "used to" do the right thing.  Now the vast majority
of decision makers are impressed by fancy looking marketing campaigns and
stupidly believe everything that's published by well-known brand names,
even when no brand name loyalty exists.  The worst problem with regards to
this is that decisions are often made based on "what the majority of other
people are supposedly doing" rather than "what actually best fits the needs
of the project."

--
Randolf Richardson - rr@8x.ca
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Please do not eMail me directly when responding
to my postings in the newsgroups.