9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

PostgreSQL 9.3 Beta 1 is coming soon.  As always, I could use your help
in coming up with some promotional text for the features it contains.
Here's the features I know of:

* declarative matviews
* better FK locks
* recursive views
* event triggers
* writeable foreign tables
* more JSON functions
* data checksums
* parallel pg_dump & dump directory format
* automatically updatable views
* streaming-only cascading replication failover
* configuration directory
* pg_isready (ping postgres)
* postgres_fdw

Others I missed?

We should pick 3-4 features which are worth talking about and promoting.
  My thinking is:

* declarative matviews ("Materialized View Support")
* postgres_fdw / writeable foreign tables ("Federated Databases")
* event triggers
* JSON API and functions ("More JSON goodness")

However, I'm not quite sure how to explain Event Triggers to the general
public.

Also, while the JSON stuff is a minor feature compared to some of the
others (such as checksums), anything JSON gives us a lot of positive
press among web developers, hence why I'm thinking of including it.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 04/15/2013 03:23 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> We should pick 3-4 features which are worth talking about and promoting.
>    My thinking is:
>
> * declarative matviews ("Materialized View Support")
> * postgres_fdw / writeable foreign tables ("Federated Databases")
> * event triggers
> * JSON API and functions ("More JSON goodness")

I am biased of course, but the FK Locks is rather huge in terms of an
overall improvement....

JD

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC
@cmdpromptinc - 509-416-6579

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
> I am biased of course, but the FK Locks is rather huge in terms of an
> overall improvement....

No question.  It sucks for PR value though.  Any summary of the feature
will sound more like "we fixed a longstanding bug" than a real feature.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Adrian Klaver
Date:
On 04/15/2013 03:23 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> PostgreSQL 9.3 Beta 1 is coming soon.  As always, I could use your help
> in coming up with some promotional text for the features it contains.
> Here's the features I know of:
>
> * declarative matviews
> * better FK locks
> * recursive views
> * event triggers
> * writeable foreign tables
> * more JSON functions
> * data checksums
> * parallel pg_dump & dump directory format
> * automatically updatable views
> * streaming-only cascading replication failover
> * configuration directory
> * pg_isready (ping postgres)
> * postgres_fdw
>
> Others I missed?
>
> We should pick 3-4 features which are worth talking about and promoting.
>    My thinking is:
>
> * declarative matviews ("Materialized View Support")
> * postgres_fdw / writeable foreign tables ("Federated Databases")
> * event triggers
> * JSON API and functions ("More JSON goodness")
>
> However, I'm not quite sure how to explain Event Triggers to the general
> public.

Yes, would require a good deal of copy.

My 2 cents, as top 5 with PR value:

  declarative matviews ("Materialized View Support")
  postgres_fdw / writeable foreign tables ("Federated Databases")
  JSON API and functions ("More JSON goodness")
  data checksums
  streaming-only cascading replication failover

> Also, while the JSON stuff is a minor feature compared to some of the
> others (such as checksums), anything JSON gives us a lot of positive
> press among web developers, hence why I'm thinking of including it.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
Hi,

On Mon, 2013-04-15 at 15:23 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Others I missed?

Noah, Kevin and Robert (Haas) told that the COPY FREEZE is also quite
important as well. Extracted from Noah's words: "Reduce I/O arising from
an initial table load by 75%". I would like to see this in important
items list as well.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
On Apr 15, 2013, at 6:23 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Folks,
>
> PostgreSQL 9.3 Beta 1 is coming soon.  As always, I could use your help
> in coming up with some promotional text for the features it contains.
> Here's the features I know of:
>
> * declarative matviews
> * better FK locks
> * recursive views
> * event triggers
> * writeable foreign tables
> * more JSON functions
> * data checksums
> * parallel pg_dump & dump directory format
> * automatically updatable views
> * streaming-only cascading replication failover
> * configuration directory
> * pg_isready (ping postgres)
> * postgres_fdw
>
> Others I missed?

Was the work for outputting a query to a compressor of your choice committed?  Not sure how to properly word this.

Also I believe there were SP-GiST improvements that speed up range type searches.

> We should pick 3-4 features which are worth talking about and promoting.
>  My thinking is:
>
> * declarative matviews ("Materialized View Support")
> * postgres_fdw / writeable foreign tables ("Federated Databases")
> * event triggers
> * JSON API and functions ("More JSON goodness")
>
> However, I'm not quite sure how to explain Event Triggers to the general
> public.
>
> Also, while the JSON stuff is a minor feature compared to some of the
> others (such as checksums), anything JSON gives us a lot of positive
> press among web developers, hence why I'm thinking of including it.

A bunch of the new JSON functions are indexable, correct?  That should provide some performance improvements when
searching,thus it would be good to play that up in addition to the functionality.

Jonathan

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Tatsuo Ishii
Date:
> Folks,
>
> PostgreSQL 9.3 Beta 1 is coming soon.  As always, I could use your help
> in coming up with some promotional text for the features it contains.
> Here's the features I know of:
>
> * declarative matviews
> * better FK locks
> * recursive views
> * event triggers
> * writeable foreign tables
> * more JSON functions
> * data checksums
> * parallel pg_dump & dump directory format
> * automatically updatable views
> * streaming-only cascading replication failover
> * configuration directory
> * pg_isready (ping postgres)
> * postgres_fdw
>
> Others I missed?

64-bit large object API.
--
Tatsuo Ishii
SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

> We should pick 3-4 features which are worth talking about and promoting.
>   My thinking is:
>
> * declarative matviews ("Materialized View Support")
> * postgres_fdw / writeable foreign tables ("Federated Databases")
> * event triggers
> * JSON API and functions ("More JSON goodness")
>
> However, I'm not quite sure how to explain Event Triggers to the general
> public.
>
> Also, while the JSON stuff is a minor feature compared to some of the
> others (such as checksums), anything JSON gives us a lot of positive
> press among web developers, hence why I'm thinking of including it.
>
> --
> Josh Berkus
> PostgreSQL Experts Inc.
> http://pgexperts.com

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Ian Lawrence Barwick
Date:
2013/4/16 Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>:
> Folks,
>
> PostgreSQL 9.3 Beta 1 is coming soon.  As always, I could use your help
> in coming up with some promotional text for the features it contains.
> Here's the features I know of:
>
> * declarative matviews
> * better FK locks
> * recursive views
> * event triggers
> * writeable foreign tables
> * more JSON functions
> * data checksums
> * parallel pg_dump & dump directory format
> * automatically updatable views
> * streaming-only cascading replication failover
> * configuration directory
> * pg_isready (ping postgres)
> * postgres_fdw
>
> Others I missed?

LATERAL keyword?

Regards

Ian Barwick

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
>> Others I missed?
>
> LATERAL keyword?

Speaking of features which are hard to explain ...

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

Date:
On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 03:28:46PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> > I am biased of course, but the FK Locks is rather huge in terms of an
> > overall improvement....
>
> No question.  It sucks for PR value though.  Any summary of the feature
> will sound more like "we fixed a longstanding bug" than a real feature.

I will certainly have a description in the release notes, that perhaps
you can use.

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

Date:
On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 05:12:49PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> >> Others I missed?
> >
> > LATERAL keyword?
>
> Speaking of features which are hard to explain ...

Tom says LATERAL is useful when you are using a column from one of the
FROM clause tables in a set-returning function that is also in the FROM
clause.

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Ian Lawrence Barwick
Date:
2013/4/16 Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick@gmail.com>:

>>> LATERAL keyword?
>>
>> Speaking of features which are hard to explain ...

(apologies for the resubmission, I got a strange message from the
list software saying the mail was stalled due to the use of the word "w h i c h"
followed by another word)

Well you were asking for a list of features... but yeah, it's not one
that might make great headline material.

OTOH, it is kind of nifty when working with SRFs; once I got my head around it
I realized it was a feature I've been missing pretty much since SRFs
first appeared.

Do you use set-returning functions a lot?
Do you get frustrated by the error message "function expression in
FROM cannot refer to other relations of same query level" and find
yourself wondering if there's an easier way of integrating SRFs
directly into FROM clauses?
Then PostgreSQL 9.3's all-new LATERAL keyword is your new bestest
friend and will revolutionize your life (for certain values of
revolution)!

Dunno if it's any use, but I collated a list of blog articles on 9.3 features:
http://sql-info.de/postgresql/notes/postgresql-9.3-feature-preview-articles.html

Regards

Ian Barwick

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Ian Lawrence Barwick
Date:
2013/4/16 Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>:

>>> Others I missed?
>>
>> LATERAL keyword?
>
> Speaking of features which are hard to explain ...

Well you were asking for a list of features... but yeah, it's not one
which would
[...]

Simon Riggs
Date:
On 15 April 2013 23:23, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> * declarative matviews
> * event triggers

Regrettably the state of both of those features is nowhere near
complete enough for wide production use. Highlighting them as tier 1
items would be misleading. If there is a way to say these are good
steps towards the full feature set people expect then it will work.
Initial, basic, entry level etc.. (Note that I'm not commenting on the
internal implementation, just the user facing feature set).

If we say we have something when we don't we let down our users,
reduce our reputation and stifle any chance of improving them later,
since people say "I thought we already had those?". Partitioning fell
into the same problem and I'd like to avoid that.

> * streaming-only cascading replication failover

Do you mean the fast failover option?

> * configuration directory
configuration directories

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 9:51 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 15 April 2013 23:23, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
>> * declarative matviews
>> * event triggers
>
> Regrettably the state of both of those features is nowhere near
> complete enough for wide production use. Highlighting them as tier 1
> items would be misleading. If there is a way to say these are good
> steps towards the full feature set people expect then it will work.
> Initial, basic, entry level etc.. (Note that I'm not commenting on the
> internal implementation, just the user facing feature set).

I was just about to make that comment. Particularly when it comes to matviews.

However, we highlighted the json datatype pretty well in 9.2 and it
gave us a lot of good press. But it doesn't really *do* anything in
9.2 - kind of like matviews. 9.3 will make json a lot more useful - as
hopefully 9.4 can improve on the matviews. But if it's marketing only,
then the feature is there I guess...

>> * streaming-only cascading replication failover
>
> Do you mean the fast failover option?

I think he's referring to timeline switching over streaming replication.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Thom Brown
Date:
On 15 April 2013 23:23, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> PostgreSQL 9.3 Beta 1 is coming soon.  As always, I could use your help
> in coming up with some promotional text for the features it contains.
> Here's the features I know of:
>
> * declarative matviews
> * better FK locks
> * recursive views
> * event triggers
> * writeable foreign tables
> * more JSON functions
> * data checksums
> * parallel pg_dump & dump directory format
> * automatically updatable views
> * streaming-only cascading replication failover
> * configuration directory
> * pg_isready (ping postgres)
> * postgres_fdw
>
> Others I missed?

This list should cover all the main features:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postgresql#Upcoming_features

--
Thom

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On 16 April 2013 08:54, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

>>> * streaming-only cascading replication failover
>>
>> Do you mean the fast failover option?
>
> I think he's referring to timeline switching over streaming replication.

Then we should mention fast failover, since it allows us to get to 5
nines availability.

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On 16 April 2013 08:54, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> However, we highlighted the json datatype pretty well in 9.2 and it
> gave us a lot of good press. But it doesn't really *do* anything in
> 9.2 - kind of like matviews. 9.3 will make json a lot more useful - as
> hopefully 9.4 can improve on the matviews. But if it's marketing only,
> then the feature is there I guess...

If we want good marketing then we need good features as the first step.

If the argument is that it doesn't matter if a feature gets punted to
the next release, then we can punt the marketing also. We will collect
both the feature and the kudos soon enough. If we try to collect the
kudos early all we do is set the expectation that you need to wait
until the release after we announce something before it is fully
usable.

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Dimitri Fontaine
Date:
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> Others I missed?

Regexp indexing is big enough to be there, I think.

--
Dimitri Fontaine

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Dimitri Fontaine
Date:
> On 15 April 2013 23:23, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
>> * declarative matviews
>> * event triggers
>
> Regrettably the state of both of those features is nowhere near
> complete enough for wide production use. Highlighting them as tier 1
> items would be misleading. If there is a way to say these are good
> steps towards the full feature set people expect then it will work.
> Initial, basic, entry level etc.. (Note that I'm not commenting on the
> internal implementation, just the user facing feature set).

Yes, please don't mention Event Triggers anywhere. You can not solve a
single problem with them that you couldn't already solve before with a
hook, and you need to be using C to access any interesting data.

As a user, Event Triggers just don't exist in 9.3, full stop.

Dimitri Fontaine

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
damien clochard
Date:
Le 16/04/2013 00:23, Josh Berkus a écrit :
> Folks,
>
> PostgreSQL 9.3 Beta 1 is coming soon.  As always, I could use your help
> in coming up with some promotional text for the features it contains.
> Here's the features I know of:
>
> * declarative matviews
> * better FK locks
> * recursive views
> * event triggers
> * writeable foreign tables
> * more JSON functions
> * data checksums
> * parallel pg_dump & dump directory format
> * automatically updatable views
> * streaming-only cascading replication failover
> * configuration directory
> * pg_isready (ping postgres)
> * postgres_fdw
>
> Others I missed?

Custom background worker processes ?

Definitively not a top 3 feature but it's promising and it could be
interesting to attract some developer attention on this feature...

> We should pick 3-4 features which are worth talking about and promoting.
>   My thinking is:
>
> * declarative matviews ("Materialized View Support")
> * postgres_fdw / writeable foreign tables ("Federated Databases")
> * event triggers
> * JSON API and functions ("More JSON goodness")

My personal "pure-PR" top :

  * Material Views
  * JSON parser and more

Date:
>> * declarative matviews
>> * event triggers
>
> Regrettably the state of both of those features is nowhere near
> complete enough for wide production use.

Per Dimitri that's true of Event Triggers, but per my prior post on the
topic on this mailing list, it's not true of Materialized Views.   As
I've said before, we get one, and only one, chance to promote a new
feature and that's when the feature first appears in a PostgreSQL
release *however incomplete it is*.  If we try to promote it in a
successive release when it's "more finished", we will get zero traction
with the press.  It's not news.

Aside from that, the MatView feature in the state it's in now is useful
to *me*, even if it's not useful to *you*.  And I think that my
use-cases represent some hundreds or thousands of DBAs, so it's worth
promoting so that they will know about it.

Lets not let the perfect be the enemy of the good here.

>> * streaming-only cascading replication failover
>
> Do you mean the fast failover option?

No, I mean the ability to remaster using only streaming replication.  As
Simon points out, this could be combined with fast failover into one
"feature" in our PR.

> Regexp indexing is big enough to be there, I think.

Ooooh!  That got in?

> Custom background worker processes ?
>
> Definitively not a top 3 feature but it's promising and it could be
> interesting to attract some developer attention on this feature...

Seems to me that becomes a feature once we have at least one example
useful worker.  Any idea if someone is building one before 9.3.0?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Andres Freund
Date:
On 2013-04-16 09:45:17 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> >> * declarative matviews
> >> * event triggers
> >
> > Regrettably the state of both of those features is nowhere near
> > complete enough for wide production use.
>
> Per Dimitri that's true of Event Triggers, but per my prior post on the
> topic on this mailing list, it's not true of Materialized Views.   As
> I've said before, we get one, and only one, chance to promote a new
> feature and that's when the feature first appears in a PostgreSQL
> release *however incomplete it is*.  If we try to promote it in a
> successive release when it's "more finished", we will get zero traction
> with the press.  It's not news.

We had CREATE FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER without it doing much and added stuff
later. And we still can now promote postgres_fdw. We had views before,
but they weren't auto-updateable. We can promote that now...

> Aside from that, the MatView feature in the state it's in now is useful
> to *me*, even if it's not useful to *you*.  And I think that my
> use-cases represent some hundreds or thousands of DBAs, so it's worth
> promoting so that they will know about it.
>
> Lets not let the perfect be the enemy of the good here.

I think that will lead to a future where we can't commit intermediate
states of work since we now it will be used for PR regardless of its
state. I am pretty sure several people would have voiced loud(er)
objections for matviews to be commited if they would have known the end
result of it being rather incomplete and promoted anyway. And that will
hurt postgres.

> > Regexp indexing is big enough to be there, I think.
> >

> Ooooh!  That got in?

Yup, Tom committed it on the 9th. Really rather cool stuff.

> > Custom background worker processes ?
> >
> > Definitively not a top 3 feature but it's promising and it could be
> > interesting to attract some developer attention on this feature...

> Seems to me that becomes a feature once we have at least one example
> useful worker.  Any idea if someone is building one before 9.3.0?

We are actively using it for the development of BDR, not sure if thats
an interesting enough example because the whole thing is far bigger than
that piece.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 05:12:49PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> >> Others I missed?
> >
> > LATERAL keyword?
>
> Speaking of features which are hard to explain ...

...and hard to do without once you have them :)

It's worth a mention, I think.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Andres,

> We had CREATE FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER without it doing much and added stuff

... and we promoted it when it was introduced.

> I think that will lead to a future where we can't commit intermediate
> states of work since we now it will be used for PR regardless of its
> state. I am pretty sure several people would have voiced loud(er)
> objections for matviews to be commited if they would have known the end
> result of it being rather incomplete and promoted anyway. And that will
> hurt postgres.

I simply don't agree that the matview feature, as it exists in 9.3, is
sucky and not worth talking about.  As I have said before, I think the
feature we have is useful now even if it's not as useful as it will be
later.

We can promote a feature, but still mention its limitations and ongoing
work.  We've done that plenty of times before.

>> Seems to me that becomes a feature once we have at least one example
>> useful worker.  Any idea if someone is building one before 9.3.0?
>
> We are actively using it for the development of BDR, not sure if thats
> an interesting enough example because the whole thing is far bigger than
> that piece.

Yeah, and that's unlikely to be done before September.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Andreas Karlsson

On 04/16/2013 02:46 AM, Ian Lawrence Barwick wrote:
> OTOH, it is kind of nifty when working with SRFs; once I got my head around it
> I realized it was a feature I've been missing pretty much since SRFs
> first appeared.
>
> Do you use set-returning functions a lot?
> Do you get frustrated by the error message "function expression in
> FROM cannot refer to other relations of same query level" and find
> yourself wondering if there's an easier way of integrating SRFs
> directly into FROM clauses?
> Then PostgreSQL 9.3's all-new LATERAL keyword is your new bestest
> friend and will revolutionize your life (for certain values of
> revolution)!

Tom fixed so LATERAL is implicit for set retuning functions so the
LATERAL keyword is now only required for subqueries.

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=2378d79ab29865f59245744beb8f04a3ce56d2ae

To me personally the addition of LATERAL might be the most important new
feature in 9.3 (together with the FK locks), and something I have wished
for a long time. But I do understand it might be hard to explain and use
in marketing.

--
Andreas Karlsson

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Andreas Karlsson
Date:
On 04/16/2013 06:45 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Aside from that, the MatView feature in the state it's in now is useful
> to *me*, even if it's not useful to *you*.  And I think that my
> use-cases represent some hundreds or thousands of DBAs, so it's worth
> promoting so that they will know about it.

If it is promoted I think it is important to make sure it is clearly
stated what is in the release and what is not. Including the lock level
of REFRESH which currently is not well documented.

--
Andreas Karlsson

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
> "Postgres developers and users believe that quality view support is an
> important toolset for any database, and Postgres 9.3 includes several
> improvements to it's view support. Enhancements included in this
> release include the ability to create recursive views, to create
> automatically updateable views, and limited support for built in
> materialized views."

I still think that's soft-pedaling it far to much.  If we don't toot our
own horn, who will?  And "View improvements" is a pretty darned weak
promotional message compared to "Materialized View Declaration".

Regrading MatViews, let me explain why the Refresh locking isn't the
albatross which some people think it is.   Currently, my clients, and
several OSS projects, have many applications which currently use tables
as materialized views.  The common way to handle these is "BEGIN;
TRUNCATE matview; INSERT INTO matview SELECT ...; COMMIT;".   This
produces the *exact same* locking pattern as the current REFRESH.  While
more lock-sensitive patterns are possible, that doesn't mean people are,
in the mainstream, using them.

Thus 9.3 Matviews allow DB architects to do a task they have been doing,
with simpler, less code, and no loss of functionality.  Further, with
simpler, more mainainable code, we can expect app developers who haven't
previously used matviews as a concept to try them.  Further, we'll have
increases in functionality in the future (CONCURRENTLY in 9.4,
async/sync updates later, incremental updates, etc.), which never would
exist in an ad-hoc system, and which probably won't require any changes
in code built on 9.3 to take advantage of.

The purpose of advocacy, and release announcements, is to *promote*
PostgreSQL, not to advertise every bug we have and every limitation.
Nitpicky perfectionism may be useful when we're writing code, but it
seriously undermines the project if it appears in our advocacy
materials.  What other open source DBMS even has the concept of
materialized views?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Regex Indexing WAS: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

Can someone come up with an example of how to use the new Regex indexing?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
On Apr 17, 2013, at 12:51 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

>> "Postgres developers and users believe that quality view support is an
>> important toolset for any database, and Postgres 9.3 includes several
>> improvements to it's view support. Enhancements included in this
>> release include the ability to create recursive views, to create
>> automatically updateable views, and limited support for built in
>> materialized views."
>
> The purpose of advocacy, and release announcements, is to *promote*
> PostgreSQL, not to advertise every bug we have and every limitation.
> Nitpicky perfectionism may be useful when we're writing code, but it
> seriously undermines the project if it appears in our advocacy
> materials.  What other open source DBMS even has the concept of
> materialized views?

I agree on that, but also on that note, we do have future opportunities to promote feature improvements as news.  Once
wedo have full support for materialized views, that is still news, much like the JSON improvements are newsworthy in
9.3too, even though JSON support was released in 9.2.

New features are not limited to "one shot" of press.  We should promote materialized views now knowing full well we can
alwayspromote them again later, even if it's something as simple as "new materialized views support" - it sounds like
it'sbrand new, even if it is just enhanced.

Jonathan

Date:
On 17 April 2013 17:52, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> All,
>
> Can someone come up with an example of how to use the new Regex indexing?

There's an example in the dev docs:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/pgtrgm.html#AEN147751

--
Thom

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 04/17/2013 04:59 AM, Robert Treat wrote:
> "Postgres developers and users believe that quality view support is an
> important toolset for any database, and Postgres 9.3 includes several
> improvements to it's view support. Enhancements included in this
> release include the ability to create recursive views, to create
> automatically updateable views, and limited support for built in
> materialized views."

So, taking a second stab at this:

Database VIEWs allow application developers to abstract database access,
making application code simpler and version migrations easier.  As such,
PostgreSQL has improved our view support:
* Materialized View declaration
* Auto-updatable VIEWs
* Recursive Views

I think that puts the new features more strongly, and also explains how
views relate to the reader.  Yes?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
"Nicholson, Brad (Toronto, ON, CA)"
Date:
> So, taking a second stab at this:
>
> Database VIEWs allow application developers to abstract database access,
> making application code simpler and version migrations easier.  As such,
> PostgreSQL has improved our view support:
> * Materialized View declaration
> * Auto-updatable VIEWs
> * Recursive Views
>
> I think that puts the new features more strongly, and also explains how
> views relate to the reader.  Yes?

I like it - shows multiple improvements to heavily used functionality, while glossing over the incomplete nature of mat
views. It also focuses on "View Improvements" instead of one specific improvement/feature, which compactly sends a
"multipleimprovement" message.  Specifically, the mat view stuff is nice, but the updatable views is going to be
massivefor a lot of people.  That's  a feature that would have save me a lot of time in the past.

On another note - are page checksums going to make the cut?  While not exactly flashy, that is a really critical
featurefor mission critical systems - something we have sorely lacked.

Brad

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

Date:
On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 08:09:10PM +0000, Nicholson, Brad (Toronto, ON,
CA) wrote:
> On another note - are page checksums going to make the cut?  While not
> exactly flashy, that is a really critical feature for mission critical
> systems - something we have sorely lacked.

Page checksums are in, but we are now debating the algorithm.  :-(

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Michael Banck
Date:
Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 16.04.2013, 10:29 +0200 schrieb Dimitri Fontaine:
> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> > Others I missed?
>
> Regexp indexing is big enough to be there, I think.

Yeah.

On that note, does anybody else have general-purpose regexp indexing? I
did a quick google search the other day, but could only come up with
"have to write a .NET plugin" (for SQL Server) and "have to specify the
regexp during index creation" (for Oracle).  That wasn't an exhaustive
search, though, of course.

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Tel.: +49 (0) 2161 / 4643-171

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
Hohenzollernstr. 133, 41061 Mönchengladbach
Geschäftsführung: Dr. Michael Meskes, Jörg Folz

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On 4/17/13 1:50 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> So, taking a second stab at this:
>
> Database VIEWs allow application developers to abstract database access,
> making application code simpler and version migrations easier.  As such,
> PostgreSQL has improved our view support:
> * Materialized View declaration
> * Auto-updatable VIEWs

Except that materialized views aren't auto-updatable, so it would be
quite confusing to lump those together.

> * Recursive Views

You could do recursive views before.  There is just now a more compact
syntax for it.

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On 17 April 2013 17:51, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> Regrading MatViews, let me explain why the Refresh locking isn't the
> albatross which some people think it is.   Currently, my clients, and
> several OSS projects, have many applications which currently use tables
> as materialized views.  The common way to handle these is "BEGIN;
> TRUNCATE matview; INSERT INTO matview SELECT ...; COMMIT;".   This
> produces the *exact same* locking pattern as the current REFRESH.  While
> more lock-sensitive patterns are possible, that doesn't mean people are,
> in the mainstream, using them.

I agree that the above code has exactly the same locking pattern as a refresh.

Only trouble is that isn't the best way of doing it, nor in my
experience the common way of doing it.

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On 17 April 2013 18:50, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> On 04/17/2013 04:59 AM, Robert Treat wrote:
>> "Postgres developers and users believe that quality view support is an
>> important toolset for any database, and Postgres 9.3 includes several
>> improvements to it's view support. Enhancements included in this
>> release include the ability to create recursive views, to create
>> automatically updateable views, and limited support for built in
>> materialized views."
>

> So, taking a second stab at this:
>
> Database VIEWs allow application developers to abstract database access,
> making application code simpler and version migrations easier.  As such,
> PostgreSQL has improved our view support:
> * Materialized View declaration
> * Auto-updatable VIEWs
> * Recursive Views

As a headline item, I think "New and advanced features for Views"
makes sense. Taking all of the above together its clearly a great set
of related features.

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
So, taking a stab at the list again, I realize I forgot a *major*
feature:  no more SHMMAX/SHMALL thanks to posix shmem.

I also think that a good writeup of "federated databases" as a "group"
of features would be cool.  Does anyone know exactly which parts of
pgsql_fdw got in and which are waiting for 9.4?  I lost track.  Did join
pushdown get in, for example?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Gavin Flower
Date:
Speaking of features which are hard to explain ...
...and hard to do without once you have them :)

It's worth a mention, I think.

Cheers,
David.
Isn't 'Lateral Thinking' something we are meant to do more of?  :-)

Nice to weave in to the mention of the 'LATERAL' keyword, but I fear that it would confuse more than it would amuse!

Cheers,
Gavin

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 10:53 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> Andres,
>
>> We had CREATE FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER without it doing much and added stuff
>
> ... and we promoted it when it was introduced.
>
>> I think that will lead to a future where we can't commit intermediate
>> states of work since we now it will be used for PR regardless of its
>> state. I am pretty sure several people would have voiced loud(er)
>> objections for matviews to be commited if they would have known the end
>> result of it being rather incomplete and promoted anyway. And that will
>> hurt postgres.

That seems like a bit of a straw man; partial support for event
triggers was committed, there have been objections raised to it's
useful and inclusion as PR, and so we've backed away from it.

> I simply don't agree that the matview feature, as it exists in 9.3, is
> sucky and not worth talking about.  As I have said before, I think the
> feature we have is useful now even if it's not as useful as it will be
> later.
>
> We can promote a feature, but still mention its limitations and ongoing
> work.  We've done that plenty of times before.

Maybe another path to take is to bundle all of the view related
features together:

"Postgres developers and users believe that quality view support is an
important toolset for any database, and Postgres 9.3 includes several
improvements to it's view support. Enhancements included in this
release include the ability to create recursive views, to create
automatically updateable views, and limited support for built in
materialized views."

Robert Treat
conjecture: xzilla.net
consulting: omniti.com

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Andreas Karlsson escribió:

> Tom fixed so LATERAL is implicit for set retuning functions so the
> LATERAL keyword is now only required for subqueries.
>
> http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=2378d79ab29865f59245744beb8f04a3ce56d2ae

That's correct; but even without the keyword, the implementation of the
feature was necessary for lateral references of SRFs to work sanely.

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

So, here's what we potentially have as "worth mentioning":

* Views (updatable, matviews)
* Federation (writeable fdw, pgsql_fdw)
* LATERAL
* regex indexes
* No more SHMMAX/SHMMALL

Is that everything?

You know, I'm not really seeing a "theme" here.  9.3 seems like more of
a "cleanup" version ...

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 04/19/2013 09:41 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> So, here's what we potentially have as "worth mentioning":
>
> * Views (updatable, matviews)
> * Federation (writeable fdw, pgsql_fdw)
> * LATERAL
> * regex indexes
> * No more SHMMAX/SHMMALL

Feh.

  * More JSON stuff

I'm having a "seven dwarves" issue ...

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 07:59:50AM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 10:53 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> > Andres,
> >
> >> We had CREATE FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER without it doing much and added stuff
> >
> > ... and we promoted it when it was introduced.
> >
> >> I think that will lead to a future where we can't commit intermediate
> >> states of work since we now it will be used for PR regardless of its
> >> state. I am pretty sure several people would have voiced loud(er)
> >> objections for matviews to be commited if they would have known the end
> >> result of it being rather incomplete and promoted anyway. And that will
> >> hurt postgres.
> >

> That seems like a bit of a straw man; partial support for event
> triggers was committed, there have been objections raised to it's
> useful and inclusion as PR, and so we've backed away from it.
>
> > I simply don't agree that the matview feature, as it exists in 9.3, is
> > sucky and not worth talking about.  As I have said before, I think the
> > feature we have is useful now even if it's not as useful as it will be
> > later.
> >
> > We can promote a feature, but still mention its limitations and ongoing
> > work.  We've done that plenty of times before.
> >

> Maybe another path to take is to bundle all of the view related
> features together:
>
> "Postgres developers and users believe that quality view support is an
> important toolset for any database, and Postgres 9.3 includes several
> improvements to it's view support. Enhancements included in this
> release include the ability to create recursive views,

I don't think the recursive views are really worth mentioning, as
they're just a SQL spec compliant wrapper around what we can already
do with the regular CREATE VIEW AS ... WITH ... syntax.  I'm all for
spec compliance, but there's just no new capability added here.

> to create automatically updateable views, and limited support for
> built in materialized views."

These two, in contrast, are *very* handy.  Yes, you could have done
both of these things before, and many of us did, but it was a *lot*
more work, and a lot more error-prone.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 02:20:09PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> So, taking a stab at the list again, I realize I forgot a *major*
> feature:  no more SHMMAX/SHMALL thanks to posix shmem.
>
> I also think that a good writeup of "federated databases" as a "group"
> of features would be cool.  Does anyone know exactly which parts of
> pgsql_fdw got in and which are waiting for 9.4?  I lost track.  Did join
> pushdown get in, for example?

Yes :)

Look for "join" in postgres_fdw, for example :) :)

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
"Erikjan Rijkers"
Date:
On Fri, April 19, 2013 18:43, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 04/19/2013 09:41 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> So, here's what we potentially have as "worth mentioning":
>>
>> * Views (updatable, matviews)
>> * Federation (writeable fdw, pgsql_fdw)
>> * LATERAL
>> * regex indexes
>> * No more SHMMAX/SHMMALL
>   * More JSON stuff

Checksums ?  (even if it's not quite ready :-))

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
On 04/19/2013 02:16 PM, Erikjan Rijkers wrote:
> On Fri, April 19, 2013 18:43, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> On 04/19/2013 09:41 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> So, here's what we potentially have as "worth mentioning":
>>>
>>> * Views (updatable, matviews)
>>> * Federation (writeable fdw, pgsql_fdw)
>>> * LATERAL
>>> * regex indexes
>>> * No more SHMMAX/SHMMALL
>>   * More JSON stuff
>
> Checksums ?  (even if it's not quite ready :-))

Feh, this is really a "grab bag" release, isn't it?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
"Jonathan S. Katz"
Date:
On Apr 19, 2013, at 5:52 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 04/19/2013 02:16 PM, Erikjan Rijkers wrote:

>>>  * More JSON stuff
>>
>> Checksums ?  (even if it's not quite ready :-))
>
> Feh, this is really a "grab bag" release, isn't it?

I think it's a testament to how strong the last several releases have been.  This is an "enhancement release" on top of
allthe major features that have been added to the 9.x series, and while it might not be as flashy as "{async, sync}
streamingreplication" or hot standbys, this release provides a good opportunity to build on the work of the earlier 9.x
releases.

By framing it as a "building on the work of XYZ from 9.2" we can promote all the enhancements that 9.3 offers.

Jonathan

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
> By framing it as a "building on the work of XYZ from 9.2" we can promote all the enhancements that 9.3 offers.

Yeah, we'll still need some coherent messaging for the final release.
Not sure what that will be.  Our last "grab bag" release was 8.4, where
we went with the message "easier than ever!".  Not sure what we want
this time.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 04/19/2013 03:11 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

>> By framing it as a "building on the work of XYZ from 9.2" we can promote all the enhancements that 9.3 offers.
>
> Yeah, we'll still need some coherent messaging for the final release.
> Not sure what that will be.  Our last "grab bag" release was 8.4, where
> we went with the message "easier than ever!".  Not sure what we want
> this time.

Making the competition quake in their boots!

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC
@cmdpromptinc - 509-416-6579

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Chris Mair
Date:
>> By framing it as a "building on the work of XYZ from 9.2" we can promote all the enhancements that 9.3 offers.
>
> Yeah, we'll still need some coherent messaging for the final release.
> Not sure what that will be.  Our last "grab bag" release was 8.4, where
> we went with the message "easier than ever!".  Not sure what we want
> this time.

Hi.

Mac OS X Snow Leopard was advertised as an improved Leopard, without
lots of new features added.

Some tag lines they used were: "Core innovation" and "The world's most
advanced operating system. Finely tuned."

We could use someting along those lines...

Bye,
Chris.

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Fujii Masao
Date:
On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 1:45 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>>> * streaming-only cascading replication failover
>>
>> Do you mean the fast failover option?
>
> No, I mean the ability to remaster using only streaming replication.

I don't think this has been committed. You still need to take a fresh backup
when starting crashed master as new standby after failover.

> As
> Simon points out, this could be combined with fast failover into one
> "feature" in our PR.

Yes, fast failover is really useful feature for HA.

Fujii Masao

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Gabriele Bartolini
Date:
Hi guys,

Il 19/04/13 18:41, Josh Berkus ha scritto:
> You know, I'm not really seeing a "theme" here.  9.3 seems like more of
> a "cleanup" version ...

What I suggest this time is to avoid mentioning all the new features in
the beta announcement, reducing the impact of the 9.3.0 official
release. We faced this problem last year too, when we had to make the
announcement and ... everything had already been said in the beta1 release.

This would also give us more time to prepare an effective official
release announcement. In the meantime we could prepare a 9.3 wiki page
with all the new features (making sure everyone understands it is still
a beta version) and in the beta and rc releases we simply refer to this
page.

Ciao,
Gabriele

--
  Gabriele Bartolini - 2ndQuadrant Italia
  gabriele.bartolini@2ndQuadrant.it | www.2ndQuadrant.it

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On 19 April 2013 22:16, Erikjan Rijkers <er@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Checksums ?  (even if it's not quite ready :-))

Checksums are ready.... The only discussion point is the exact CRC
algorithm and the performance of it.

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Andres Freund
Date:
On 2013-04-20 08:32:58 +0200, Gabriele Bartolini wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Il 19/04/13 18:41, Josh Berkus ha scritto:
> >You know, I'm not really seeing a "theme" here.  9.3 seems like more of
> >a "cleanup" version ...
> >
> What I suggest this time is to avoid mentioning all the new features in the
> beta announcement, reducing the impact of the 9.3.0 official release. We
> faced this problem last year too, when we had to make the announcement and
> ... everything had already been said in the beta1 release.

I think this is dangerous as it reduces the amount of testing those new
features get even further. We *need* the testing. And for that the
testers need to know about the new features. Otherwise we can just skip
beta.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On 20 April 2013 11:10, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On 2013-04-20 08:32:58 +0200, Gabriele Bartolini wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> Il 19/04/13 18:41, Josh Berkus ha scritto:
>> >You know, I'm not really seeing a "theme" here.  9.3 seems like more of
>> >a "cleanup" version ...
>> >
>> What I suggest this time is to avoid mentioning all the new features in the
>> beta announcement, reducing the impact of the 9.3.0 official release. We
>> faced this problem last year too, when we had to make the announcement and
>> ... everything had already been said in the beta1 release.
>
> I think this is dangerous as it reduces the amount of testing those new
> features get even further. We *need* the testing. And for that the
> testers need to know about the new features. Otherwise we can just skip
> beta.

ISTM that if we wrote the list of Good Features *after* we wrote the
release notes we'd stand a better chance of doing it well.

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On Fri, 2013-04-19 at 14:52 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Feh, this is really a "grab bag" release, isn't it?

Every release is a grab bag release, as it should be.  Everything else
is just editorializing after the fact.  The appeal of "themed" release
is very limited for people who don't use whatever the theme is supposed
to be.

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Fujii,

> I don't think this has been committed. You still need to take a fresh backup
> when starting crashed master as new standby after failover.

I'm talking about:

m1 --> r1 --> r2

    r3

m1 fails.  Promote r1 to the new master.  This works as you'd expect
now; it didn't in 9.2.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
>> What I suggest this time is to avoid mentioning all the new features in the
>> beta announcement, reducing the impact of the 9.3.0 official release. We
>> faced this problem last year too, when we had to make the announcement and
>> ... everything had already been said in the beta1 release.
>
> I think this is dangerous as it reduces the amount of testing those new
> features get even further. We *need* the testing. And for that the
> testers need to know about the new features. Otherwise we can just skip
> beta.

I have to agree with Andres, here.  Good PR is nice, but good testing is
more important.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Michael Banck
Date:
Hi,

Am Freitag, den 19.04.2013, 09:41 -0700 schrieb Josh Berkus:
> So, here's what we potentially have as "worth mentioning":
>
> * Views (updatable, matviews)
> * Federation (writeable fdw, pgsql_fdw)
> * LATERAL
> * regex indexes
> * No more SHMMAX/SHMMALL
>
> Is that everything?

I am not sure "No more SHMMAX/SHMMALL" should be in the top 5 - it is
quite nice that DBAs do not have to fiddle with it anyway, but will it
make people say "wow, *now* I will finally try PostgreSQL"?  It does not
look like a major new feature to me, but rather (but not really) like a
bug-fix or implementation detail.

Unless I missed some huge performance gains due to it, in which case I
think it should be worded differently.

Michael

--

Date:
On Apr 22, 2013, at 4:08 AM, Michael Banck wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Freitag, den 19.04.2013, 09:41 -0700 schrieb Josh Berkus:
>> So, here's what we potentially have as "worth mentioning":
>>
>> * Views (updatable, matviews)
>> * Federation (writeable fdw, pgsql_fdw)
>> * LATERAL
>> * regex indexes
>> * No more SHMMAX/SHMMALL
>>
>> Is that everything?
>
> I am not sure "No more SHMMAX/SHMMALL" should be in the top 5 - it is
> quite nice that DBAs do not have to fiddle with it anyway, but will it
> make people say "wow, *now* I will finally try PostgreSQL"?  It does not
> look like a major new feature to me, but rather (but not really) like a
> bug-fix or implementation detail.

For developers who have had so much trouble installing / running Postgres on their local machines, it is a big deal.  I
don'tknow how many people I have had to help install Postgres on their local environments because it would not run
rightout of the box.

I think to go back to an earlier point that Andres made, the important thing about the beta is to list features that
needtesting to see if they break in their development / semi-production environments and this is definitely one of
thosefeatures.

> Unless I missed some huge performance gains due to it, in which case I
> think it should be worded differently.

That I definitely agree with.  Perhaps along the lines of "Removed need to tweak OS shared memory settings?"

Jonathan

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Andres Freund
Date:
On 2013-04-22 10:25:34 -0400, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> On Apr 22, 2013, at 4:08 AM, Michael Banck wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Am Freitag, den 19.04.2013, 09:41 -0700 schrieb Josh Berkus:
> >> So, here's what we potentially have as "worth mentioning":
> >>
> >> * Views (updatable, matviews)
> >> * Federation (writeable fdw, pgsql_fdw)
> >> * LATERAL
> >> * regex indexes
> >> * No more SHMMAX/SHMMALL
> >>
> >> Is that everything?
> >
> > I am not sure "No more SHMMAX/SHMMALL" should be in the top 5 - it is
> > quite nice that DBAs do not have to fiddle with it anyway, but will it
> > make people say "wow, *now* I will finally try PostgreSQL"?  It does not
> > look like a major new feature to me, but rather (but not really) like a
> > bug-fix or implementation detail.
>
> For developers who have had so much trouble installing / running Postgres on their local machines, it is a big deal.
Idon't know how many people I have had to help install Postgres on their local environments because it would not run
rightout of the box.

Yea. Besides not understanding pg_hba.conf its probably the most
frequent problems I have seen with new (and not so new) users.

> > Unless I missed some huge performance gains due to it, in which case I
> > think it should be worded differently.
>
> That I definitely agree with.  Perhaps along the lines of "Removed need to tweak OS shared memory settings?"

I'd still formulate it as "reduce" as you still need to change variables
if you have many clusters or higher max_connections.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 04:27:52PM +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2013-04-22 10:25:34 -0400, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> > On Apr 22, 2013, at 4:08 AM, Michael Banck wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,

> > > I am not sure "No more SHMMAX/SHMMALL" should be in the top 5 - it is
> > > quite nice that DBAs do not have to fiddle with it anyway, but will it
> > > make people say "wow, *now* I will finally try PostgreSQL"?  It does not
> > > look like a major new feature to me, but rather (but not really) like a
> > > bug-fix or implementation detail.
> >
> > For developers who have had so much trouble installing / running Postgres on their local machines, it is a big
deal. I don't know how many people I have had to help install Postgres on their local environments because it would not
runright out of the box.

> Yea. Besides not understanding pg_hba.conf its probably the most
> frequent problems I have seen with new (and not so new) users.
>
> > > Unless I missed some huge performance gains due to it, in which case I
> > > think it should be worded differently.
> >
> > That I definitely agree with.  Perhaps along the lines of "Removed need to tweak OS shared memory settings?"
>
> I'd still formulate it as "reduce" as you still need to change variables
> if you have many clusters or higher max_connections.

How about, "Removed the most common cases for tweaking OS shared
memory settings" or something along that line?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Florian Weimer
* Josh Berkus:

> PostgreSQL 9.3 Beta 1 is coming soon.  As always, I could use your help
> in coming up with some promotional text for the features it contains.
> Here's the features I know of:

The 9.3 release notes mention unix_socket_directories (plural), but
I've already got that with 9.2 on Fedora.  Or is this a Fedora thing?

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
On 4/25/13 6:51 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Josh Berkus:
>
>> PostgreSQL 9.3 Beta 1 is coming soon.  As always, I could use your help
>> in coming up with some promotional text for the features it contains.
>> Here's the features I know of:
>
> The 9.3 release notes mention unix_socket_directories (plural), but
> I've already got that with 9.2 on Fedora.  Or is this a Fedora thing?

Yes.

Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!

From
Nikolas Everett

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 10:00 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
On 4/25/13 6:51 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Josh Berkus:
>
>> PostgreSQL 9.3 Beta 1 is coming soon.  As always, I could use your help
>> in coming up with some promotional text for the features it contains.
>> Here's the features I know of:
>
> The 9.3 release notes mention unix_socket_directories (plural), but
> I've already got that with 9.2 on Fedora.  Or is this a Fedora thing?

Yes.

It is backported in all the RPMs I've seen.  I believe it works on the 8.4 packaged in RHEL6 as well.

Date:
On 04/17/2013 10:21 AM, Thom Brown wrote:
> On 17 April 2013 17:52, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> Can someone come up with an example of how to use the new Regex indexing?
>
> There's an example in the dev docs:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/pgtrgm.html#AEN147751

Is regex indexing available only through Trigram, then?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.