Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon! - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Apr 22, 2013, at 4:08 AM, Michael Banck wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Am Freitag, den 19.04.2013, 09:41 -0700 schrieb Josh Berkus:
>> So, here's what we potentially have as "worth mentioning":
>>
>> * Views (updatable, matviews)
>> * Federation (writeable fdw, pgsql_fdw)
>> * LATERAL
>> * regex indexes
>> * No more SHMMAX/SHMMALL
>>
>> Is that everything?
>
> I am not sure "No more SHMMAX/SHMMALL" should be in the top 5 - it is
> quite nice that DBAs do not have to fiddle with it anyway, but will it
> make people say "wow, *now* I will finally try PostgreSQL"?  It does not
> look like a major new feature to me, but rather (but not really) like a
> bug-fix or implementation detail.

For developers who have had so much trouble installing / running Postgres on their local machines, it is a big deal.  I
don'tknow how many people I have had to help install Postgres on their local environments because it would not run
rightout of the box.

I think to go back to an earlier point that Andres made, the important thing about the beta is to list features that
needtesting to see if they break in their development / semi-production environments and this is definitely one of
thosefeatures.

> Unless I missed some huge performance gains due to it, in which case I
> think it should be worded differently.

That I definitely agree with.  Perhaps along the lines of "Removed need to tweak OS shared memory settings?"

Jonathan