Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon! - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Apr 15, 2013, at 6:23 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Folks,
>
> PostgreSQL 9.3 Beta 1 is coming soon.  As always, I could use your help
> in coming up with some promotional text for the features it contains.
> Here's the features I know of:
>
> * declarative matviews
> * better FK locks
> * recursive views
> * event triggers
> * writeable foreign tables
> * more JSON functions
> * data checksums
> * parallel pg_dump & dump directory format
> * automatically updatable views
> * streaming-only cascading replication failover
> * configuration directory
> * pg_isready (ping postgres)
> * postgres_fdw
>
> Others I missed?

Was the work for outputting a query to a compressor of your choice committed?  Not sure how to properly word this.

Also I believe there were SP-GiST improvements that speed up range type searches.

> We should pick 3-4 features which are worth talking about and promoting.
>  My thinking is:
>
> * declarative matviews ("Materialized View Support")
> * postgres_fdw / writeable foreign tables ("Federated Databases")
> * event triggers
> * JSON API and functions ("More JSON goodness")
>
> However, I'm not quite sure how to explain Event Triggers to the general
> public.
>
> Also, while the JSON stuff is a minor feature compared to some of the
> others (such as checksums), anything JSON gives us a lot of positive
> press among web developers, hence why I'm thinking of including it.

A bunch of the new JSON functions are indexable, correct?  That should provide some performance improvements when
searching,thus it would be good to play that up in addition to the functionality.

Jonathan