Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon! - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Andreas Karlsson
Subject Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!
Date
List pgsql-advocacy

On 04/16/2013 02:46 AM, Ian Lawrence Barwick wrote:
> OTOH, it is kind of nifty when working with SRFs; once I got my head around it
> I realized it was a feature I've been missing pretty much since SRFs
> first appeared.
>
> Do you use set-returning functions a lot?
> Do you get frustrated by the error message "function expression in
> FROM cannot refer to other relations of same query level" and find
> yourself wondering if there's an easier way of integrating SRFs
> directly into FROM clauses?
> Then PostgreSQL 9.3's all-new LATERAL keyword is your new bestest
> friend and will revolutionize your life (for certain values of
> revolution)!

Tom fixed so LATERAL is implicit for set retuning functions so the
LATERAL keyword is now only required for subqueries.

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commit;h=2378d79ab29865f59245744beb8f04a3ce56d2ae

To me personally the addition of LATERAL might be the most important new
feature in 9.3 (together with the FK locks), and something I have wished
for a long time. But I do understand it might be hard to explain and use
in marketing.

--
Andreas Karlsson