Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon! - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Ian Lawrence Barwick
Subject Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
2013/4/16 Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>:

>>> Others I missed?
>>
>> LATERAL keyword?
>
> Speaking of features which are hard to explain ...

Well you were asking for a list of features... but yeah, it's not one
which would
make great headline material.

OTOH, it is kind of nifty when working with SRFs; once I got my head around it
I realized it was a feature I've been missing pretty much since SRFs
first appeared.

Do you use set-returning functions a lot?
Do you get frustrated by the error message "function expression in
FROM cannot refer to other relations of same query level" and find
yourself wondering if there's an easier way of integrating SRFs
directly into FROM clauses?
Then PostgreSQL 9.3's all-new LATERAL keyword is your new bestest
friend and will revolutionize your life (for certain values of
revolution)!

Dunno if it's any use, but I collated a list of blog articles on 9.3 features:
http://sql-info.de/postgresql/notes/postgresql-9.3-feature-preview-articles.html

Regards

Ian