Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon! - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From David Fetter
Subject Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 07:59:50AM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 10:53 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> > Andres,
> >
> >> We had CREATE FOREIGN DATA WRAPPER without it doing much and added stuff
> >
> > ... and we promoted it when it was introduced.
> >
> >> I think that will lead to a future where we can't commit intermediate
> >> states of work since we now it will be used for PR regardless of its
> >> state. I am pretty sure several people would have voiced loud(er)
> >> objections for matviews to be commited if they would have known the end
> >> result of it being rather incomplete and promoted anyway. And that will
> >> hurt postgres.
> >

> That seems like a bit of a straw man; partial support for event
> triggers was committed, there have been objections raised to it's
> useful and inclusion as PR, and so we've backed away from it.
>
> > I simply don't agree that the matview feature, as it exists in 9.3, is
> > sucky and not worth talking about.  As I have said before, I think the
> > feature we have is useful now even if it's not as useful as it will be
> > later.
> >
> > We can promote a feature, but still mention its limitations and ongoing
> > work.  We've done that plenty of times before.
> >

> Maybe another path to take is to bundle all of the view related
> features together:
>
> "Postgres developers and users believe that quality view support is an
> important toolset for any database, and Postgres 9.3 includes several
> improvements to it's view support. Enhancements included in this
> release include the ability to create recursive views,

I don't think the recursive views are really worth mentioning, as
they're just a SQL spec compliant wrapper around what we can already
do with the regular CREATE VIEW AS ... WITH ... syntax.  I'm all for
spec compliance, but there's just no new capability added here.

> to create automatically updateable views, and limited support for
> built in materialized views."

These two, in contrast, are *very* handy.  Yes, you could have done
both of these things before, and many of us did, but it was a *lot*
more work, and a lot more error-prone.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!