Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon! - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From David Fetter
Subject Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 04:27:52PM +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2013-04-22 10:25:34 -0400, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> > On Apr 22, 2013, at 4:08 AM, Michael Banck wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,

> > > I am not sure "No more SHMMAX/SHMMALL" should be in the top 5 - it is
> > > quite nice that DBAs do not have to fiddle with it anyway, but will it
> > > make people say "wow, *now* I will finally try PostgreSQL"?  It does not
> > > look like a major new feature to me, but rather (but not really) like a
> > > bug-fix or implementation detail.
> >
> > For developers who have had so much trouble installing / running Postgres on their local machines, it is a big
deal. I don't know how many people I have had to help install Postgres on their local environments because it would not
runright out of the box.

> Yea. Besides not understanding pg_hba.conf its probably the most
> frequent problems I have seen with new (and not so new) users.
>
> > > Unless I missed some huge performance gains due to it, in which case I
> > > think it should be worded differently.
> >
> > That I definitely agree with.  Perhaps along the lines of "Removed need to tweak OS shared memory settings?"
>
> I'd still formulate it as "reduce" as you still need to change variables
> if you have many clusters or higher max_connections.

How about, "Removed the most common cases for tweaking OS shared
memory settings" or something along that line?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!