Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon! - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!
Date
Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!
Re: 9.3 Beta 1 Coming Soon!
List pgsql-advocacy
>> * declarative matviews
>> * event triggers
>
> Regrettably the state of both of those features is nowhere near
> complete enough for wide production use.

Per Dimitri that's true of Event Triggers, but per my prior post on the
topic on this mailing list, it's not true of Materialized Views.   As
I've said before, we get one, and only one, chance to promote a new
feature and that's when the feature first appears in a PostgreSQL
release *however incomplete it is*.  If we try to promote it in a
successive release when it's "more finished", we will get zero traction
with the press.  It's not news.

Aside from that, the MatView feature in the state it's in now is useful
to *me*, even if it's not useful to *you*.  And I think that my
use-cases represent some hundreds or thousands of DBAs, so it's worth
promoting so that they will know about it.

Lets not let the perfect be the enemy of the good here.

>> * streaming-only cascading replication failover
>
> Do you mean the fast failover option?

No, I mean the ability to remaster using only streaming replication.  As
Simon points out, this could be combined with fast failover into one
"feature" in our PR.

> Regexp indexing is big enough to be there, I think.

Ooooh!  That got in?

> Custom background worker processes ?
>
> Definitively not a top 3 feature but it's promising and it could be
> interesting to attract some developer attention on this feature...

Seems to me that becomes a feature once we have at least one example
useful worker.  Any idea if someone is building one before 9.3.0?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.