Moving toward a more professional booth presence

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Hello,

As we continue to become the dominant enterprise open source database, I
would like to see our booth presences start to reflect our PostgreSQL
*is* the database of choice nature.

In that Vein, I would like to start seeing only PostgreSQL materials at
our booths. *WAIT CONTINUE TO READ BEFORE YOU FLAME*

Usually at our booths (at least the ones that I man) we have a various
assortment of sundries including brochures (cmd included). At LW-SF last
year we had:

CMD
EDB
OTG
PostgreSQL.Org
Hyperic

Plus a couple of others.

Although many in the community pride themselves on PostgreSQL.Org's
diversity (which is a good thing), the presentation it provided was one
of general dis-organization and lack of focus.

Remember that a place like LW-SF contains lots of those people that cut
checks and make decisions.

What I would like to propose is that all materials to be displayed that
are immediately visible be PostgreSQL.Org only.

Secondly I would like to propose that we get some very nice
PostgreSQL.Org folders (blue + elephant) which would essentially be a
services directory.

A little section for Community Help, Training, Support, Consulting
etc... Each company/consultant/community member could have their own
full page flyer in the folder and *that* person's company / expense.

Otherwise we will provide the information as submitted to the
PostgreSQL.Website (one liners essentially, directory style).

Thoughts?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Moving toward a more professional booth presence

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 10:41:40AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Secondly I would like to propose that we get some very nice
> PostgreSQL.Org folders (blue + elephant) which would essentially be a
> services directory.
>
> A little section for Community Help, Training, Support, Consulting
> etc... Each company/consultant/community member could have their own
> full page flyer in the folder and *that* person's company / expense.

As long as we do this, I think it's worthwhile.  This is the obvious
thing to hand to people when they start asking, "Well, how big is the
community?  Are there support agreements I can get?" &c.  If we have
a folder to hand out at that point, it might leave the impression
that this is a community with lots of participants, and that we're
well-organized about harnessing those contributions.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
Everything that happens in the world happens at some place.
        --Jane Jacobs

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As we continue to become the dominant enterprise open source database, I
> would like to see our booth presences start to reflect our PostgreSQL
> *is* the database of choice nature.

> Otherwise we will provide the information as submitted to the
> PostgreSQL.Website (one liners essentially, directory style).

I would like to add that all booth participants should be wearing
PostgreSQL.Org t-shirts (and the shirts will be provided).

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 01, 2007 at 10:41:40AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Secondly I would like to propose that we get some very nice
>> PostgreSQL.Org folders (blue + elephant) which would essentially be a
>> services directory.
>>
>> A little section for Community Help, Training, Support, Consulting
>> etc... Each company/consultant/community member could have their own
>> full page flyer in the folder and *that* person's company / expense.
>
> As long as we do this, I think it's worthwhile.  This is the obvious
> thing to hand to people when they start asking, "Well, how big is the
> community?  Are there support agreements I can get?" &c.  If we have
> a folder to hand out at that point, it might leave the impression
> that this is a community with lots of participants, and that we're
> well-organized about harnessing those contributions.

Exactly :)

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Moving toward a more professional booth presence

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> Usually at our booths (at least the ones that I man) we have a various
> assortment of sundries including brochures (cmd included). At LW-SF last
> year we had:

I'd agree we need to cut down on the variety of paper stuff.  "Less is
more".  Sticking to .ORG-only stuff would do that.

I'd suggest:
1-page general information sheet
"PostgreSQL for Executives" brochure ala Fujitsu
1-page B&W flyer about some current/related information
    (e.g. about 8.3 when we release it, listing PostgreSQL talks at OSCON,
etc.)

> A little section for Community Help, Training, Support, Consulting
> etc... Each company/consultant/community member could have their own
> full page flyer in the folder and *that* person's company / expense.

I'm going to suggest another requirement: the listed company must be a
PostgreSQL project contributor.  That is, they must have/be donating code,
money or resources to the project, our NGOs and/or our conferences.

I think we have enough companies actually supporting the project that we
don't need to help promote those which don't.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Josh,
>
>> Usually at our booths (at least the ones that I man) we have a various
>> assortment of sundries including brochures (cmd included). At LW-SF last
>> year we had:
>
> I'd agree we need to cut down on the variety of paper stuff.  "Less is
> more".  Sticking to .ORG-only stuff would do that.
>
> I'd suggest:
> 1-page general information sheet
> "PostgreSQL for Executives" brochure ala Fujitsu
> 1-page B&W flyer about some current/related information
>     (e.g. about 8.3 when we release it, listing PostgreSQL talks at OSCON,
> etc.)

PostgreSQL for Executives should be color.

Agreed otherwise.

>> A little section for Community Help, Training, Support, Consulting
>> etc... Each company/consultant/community member could have their own
>> full page flyer in the folder and *that* person's company / expense.
>
> I'm going to suggest another requirement: the listed company must be a
> PostgreSQL project contributor.  That is, they must have/be donating code,
> money or resources to the project, our NGOs and/or our conferences.

Agreed.

> I think we have enough companies actually supporting the project that we
> don't need to help promote those which don't.

Agreed.

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Moving toward a more professional booth presence

From
Steve Atkins
Date:
On Jun 1, 2007, at 11:27 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> mpany must be a
> PostgreSQL project contributor.  That is, they must have/be
> donating code,
> money or resources to the project, our NGOs and/or our conferences.
>
> I think we have enough companies actually supporting the project
> that we
> don't need to help promote those which don't.

Are there any consulting companies who would be excluded by that (I'm
guessing not, but don't know).

Availability of commercial support is a really valuable thing to show
to potential serious users.

Cheers,
   Steve

Date:
Steve Atkins wrote:

> On Jun 1, 2007, at 11:27 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> mpany must be a
>> PostgreSQL project contributor.  That is, they must have/be donating
>> code,
>> money or resources to the project, our NGOs and/or our conferences.
>>
>> I think we have enough companies actually supporting the project that we
>> don't need to help promote those which don't.
>
> Are there any consulting companies who would be excluded by that (I'm
> guessing not, but don't know).

Yes, a ton. They are listed freely on the postgresql website, but I
still agree with the assessment that if you want our marketing energies
you need to be a partner. In the FOSS world, that means you are a
contributor.

> Availability of commercial support is a really valuable thing to show
> to potential serious users.

Yep.

Joshua D. Drake

> Cheers,
>   Steve

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Moving toward a more professional booth presence

From
Chris Browne
Date:
josh@agliodbs.com (Josh Berkus) writes:
>> Usually at our booths (at least the ones that I man) we have a various
>> assortment of sundries including brochures (cmd included). At LW-SF last
>> year we had:
>
> I'd agree we need to cut down on the variety of paper stuff.  "Less is
> more".  Sticking to .ORG-only stuff would do that.

That sounds generally like a good thing.

> I'd suggest:
> 1-page general information sheet
> "PostgreSQL for Executives" brochure ala Fujitsu
> 1-page B&W flyer about some current/related information
>     (e.g. about 8.3 when we release it, listing PostgreSQL talks at OSCON,
> etc.)

I have a 2 sided one page B&W flyer (based on something that was, I
think, originally German) that I gave out at a show here in Toronto.
I wound up with the trouble that I couldn't get it to print
double-sided, but normally I think there's a lot of merit to making
use of both sides of the sheet of paper :-).

I have LaTeX sources and such if people would like to take a look at
it.  I'll forward a copy of the PDF to Josh Berkus just 'cause it
seems like a useful idea.
--
output = reverse("ofni.sesabatadxunil" "@" "enworbbc")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/spiritual.html

Date:
> > Availability of commercial support is a really valuable thing to show
> > to potential serious users.

Yes, but in the "contributors only" department we have:
Red Hat, EDB, Greenplum, Fujitsu, Sun, SRA, NTT, Unisys, CommandPrompt, PG
Inc., Credative, Cybertec.AT, OTG, OpenMFG, OmniTI, Afilias, JPA's
company, and others I'm not thinking of right now.  Plus independant
consultants.  Seems like plenty to me.

Now, someone just needs to call all of these people and get materials from
them.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: Moving toward a more professional booth presence

From
Cornelia Boenigk
Date:
Hi all

 > Now, someone just needs to call all of these people and get
 > materials from them.

I could help with that.
In which form ? If you leave everything to the companies you will
get everything from an onliner up to a novel.

Regards
Conni

Re: Moving toward a more professional booth presence

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
Hello,

On Fri, 1 Jun 2007 14:03:57 -0700 Josh Berkus wrote:

> > > Availability of commercial support is a really valuable thing to show
> > > to potential serious users.
>
> Yes, but in the "contributors only" department we have:
> Red Hat, EDB, Greenplum, Fujitsu, Sun, SRA, NTT, Unisys, CommandPrompt, PG
> Inc., Credative, Cybertec.AT, OTG, OpenMFG, OmniTI, Afilias, JPA's
> company, and others I'm not thinking of right now.  Plus independant
> consultants.  Seems like plenty to me.
>
> Now, someone just needs to call all of these people and get materials from
> them.

Should be done by someone from the particular country.
I see some names in your list who will be at Pgday.it (Cybertec.AT, Sun
(yeah, you), Credative maybe), so this could be a good starting point.
What about the consultants? I don't think, anybody here has a list with
half of this people, or?

Kind regards

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
 (Ferenc Mantfeld)

Date:
Cornelia Boenigk wrote:
> Hi all
>
>  > Now, someone just needs to call all of these people and get
>  > materials from them.
>
> I could help with that.
> In which form ? If you leave everything to the companies you will get
> everything from an onliner up to a novel.

1 page
8.5x11
PDF only, color documents will be printed as BW.

Joshua D. Drake

> Regards
> Conni

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Moving toward a more professional booth presence

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
Hello,

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 10:41:40 -0700 Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> In that Vein, I would like to start seeing only PostgreSQL materials at
> our booths. *WAIT CONTINUE TO READ BEFORE YOU FLAME*
>
> [...]
>
> Plus a couple of others.

What about as example BSD flyers? The european BSD groups have some
really nice and informant PostgreSQL flyers and on every event they
drop some batches at our booth. Theme is PostgreSQL, of course, but
there's also a part about running PG on BSD in this flyer.

> What I would like to propose is that all materials to be displayed that
> are immediately visible be PostgreSQL.Org only.

Sounds good to me, in addition we should have flyers ect. somewhere in
a repository or on a website.

> Secondly I would like to propose that we get some very nice
> PostgreSQL.Org folders (blue + elephant) which would essentially be a
> services directory.

Good idea, but the point should be "Informations about PostgreSQL", not
some kind of a fan shop. If you sometimes look at a Debian booth, there
are T-Shirts and other merchandising stuff and you don't even can see a
flyer at all.

> Otherwise we will provide the information as submitted to the
> PostgreSQL.Website (one liners essentially, directory style).

I started a discussion about improving the existing directory back in
march, but i'm sorry, i don't had the time to write my ideas done in
code.

Kind regards

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
 (Ferenc Mantfeld)

Re: Moving toward a more professional booth presence

From
Chander Ganesan
Date:
Thoughts...

Who foots the bill for the folders (in my experience, they aren't
cheap....).  Perhaps a contribution from companies that want to put
stuff in it?  Such a contribution could also go towards offsetting
printing costs for all the other stuff - I know that can get to be
expensive...
> Steve Atkins wrote:
>>
>> On Jun 1, 2007, at 11:27 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> mpany must be a
>>> PostgreSQL project contributor.  That is, they must have/be donating
>>> code,
>>> money or resources to the project, our NGOs and/or our conferences.
>>>
>>> I think we have enough companies actually supporting the project
>>> that we
>>> don't need to help promote those which don't.
>>
>> Are there any consulting companies who would be excluded by that (I'm
>> guessing not, but don't know).
>
> Yes, a ton. They are listed freely on the postgresql website, but I
> still agree with the assessment that if you want our marketing
> energies you need to be a partner. In the FOSS world, that means you
> are a contributor.
In that same vein, perhaps it would be better to have separate sections
on the site (for example, have contributors show up , with a link at the
bottom for "other support" or something.  Might help to drive
contributions - and IMHO, folks that contribute are generally more
likely to provide reliable PostgreSQL products and services ...  For
example,

http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_support_northamerica

Could have a list of contributors on the page, then a link at the bottom
for "other support options" - along with a note to the effect that these
guys are not simply vendors, they are contributors....  Also, it might
make the lists a bit more useful...when I scroll down the Professional
Services page I see a lot of hosting companies that provide "support" -
I can't help but wonder if that means they support their hosted services

--
Chander Ganesan
The Open Technology Group

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Cornelia Boenigk wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>>  > Now, someone just needs to call all of these people and get
>>  > materials from them.
>>
>> I could help with that.
>> In which form ? If you leave everything to the companies you will get
>> everything from an onliner up to a novel.
>
> 1 page
> 8.5x11
> PDF only, color documents will be printed as BW.

O.k. following up on this, this is the current plan:

Booth members will wear PostgreSQL.Org shirts. PostgreSQL.Org will
provide the shirts. Other shirts will not be allowed for booth
volunteers. Remember it is all about PostgreSQL.Org. :)

All marketing materials will be organized via topic within a
PostgreSQL.Org professional directory (which will be a custom printed
folder).

Folder will be organized something similar to this:

1-page general information sheet
"PostgreSQL for Executives" brochure ala Fujitsu
1-page B&W flyer about some current/related information
     (e.g. about 8.3 when we release it, listing PostgreSQL talks at
OSCON, etc.)

PostgreSQL for Executives will be color. All others will be B&W.

Contributing companies and consultants may submit a single page (dual
side is fine), 8.5x11 sheet for inclusion in the folder. It is the
responsibility of the company to print and provide the inserts.

If you want to be in the marketing material, and you are not a
contributor, become a contributor :)

I will start a new thread for the folders specifically.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Joshua D. Drake
>

>> Regards
>> Conni

>> TIP 1: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
>>       subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your
>>       message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Moving toward a more professional booth presence

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> Booth members will wear PostgreSQL.Org shirts. PostgreSQL.Org will
> provide the shirts. Other shirts will not be allowed for booth
> volunteers. Remember it is all about PostgreSQL.Org. :)

Keep in mind that many/most booth people *are* volunteers, so we can't be
jerks about it.  Ultimately, we need them more than they need us, and often
it's all we can do to get a booth fully staffed.

So I think it's more applicable to have a supply of T-shirts on hand and to
strongly encourage all booth volunteers to wear them.  Volunteers who do most
of a day will be given a shirt to take home; 2nd day t-shirts, or t-shirts
worn for an hour will be washed & recycled.

Make sense?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Josh,
>
>> Booth members will wear PostgreSQL.Org shirts. PostgreSQL.Org will
>> provide the shirts. Other shirts will not be allowed for booth
>> volunteers. Remember it is all about PostgreSQL.Org. :)
>
> Keep in mind that many/most booth people *are* volunteers, so we can't be
> jerks about it.  Ultimately, we need them more than they need us, and often
> it's all we can do to get a booth fully staffed.

Well of course. I think more to the point would be:

No Command Prompt, Inc/EnterpriseDB shirts...

However, I doubt that any volunteer is going to have a problem. I mean
they did volunteer for a reason ;)

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Josh,
> >
> >> Booth members will wear PostgreSQL.Org shirts. PostgreSQL.Org will
> >> provide the shirts. Other shirts will not be allowed for booth
> >> volunteers. Remember it is all about PostgreSQL.Org. :)
> >
> > Keep in mind that many/most booth people *are* volunteers, so we can't be
> > jerks about it.  Ultimately, we need them more than they need us, and often
> > it's all we can do to get a booth fully staffed.
>
> Well of course. I think more to the point would be:
>
> No Command Prompt, Inc/EnterpriseDB shirts...
>
> However, I doubt that any volunteer is going to have a problem. I mean
> they did volunteer for a reason ;)

How do you handle commercial booth staff who want to help in the booth for
a while?  I like the consistent look idea, but the exclusion thing seems
odd.

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> Josh,

>>> Keep in mind that many/most booth people *are* volunteers, so we can't be
>>> jerks about it.  Ultimately, we need them more than they need us, and often
>>> it's all we can do to get a booth fully staffed.
>> Well of course. I think more to the point would be:
>>
>> No Command Prompt, Inc/EnterpriseDB shirts...
>>
>> However, I doubt that any volunteer is going to have a problem. I mean
>> they did volunteer for a reason ;)
>
> How do you handle commercial booth staff who want to help in the booth for
> a while?  I like the consistent look idea, but the exclusion thing seems
> odd.

Well, honestly... if the commercial entity wants to help, they shouldn't
have a problem promoting just PostgreSQL. It certainly doesn't stop them
from talking about "why" or "how" they are promoting.

Hey, yep I am Bruce, I work for EnterpriseDB and I am here promoting
PostgreSQL, thus the T-shirt, here is some greated printed materials on
PostgreSQL, more information on EnterpriseDB can be found in the folder
as well. Oh and by the way, the EDB booth is 50 yards to your left.

Oh you are looking for 24x7 PostgreSQL support? Well let me get you over
to Joshua Drake. He is a PostgreSQL contributor as well and he founded
Command Prompt, Inc., the best 24x7 PostgreSQL provider available.

;)

Date:
> > How do you handle commercial booth staff who want to help in the booth
> > for a while?  I like the consistent look idea, but the exclusion thing
> > seems odd.

You'd be handed a t-shirt to pull over your EDB shirt.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Moving toward a more professional booth presence

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
After a long battle with technology, bruce@momjian.us (Bruce Momjian), an earthling, wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> > Josh,

>> > Keep in mind that many/most booth people *are* volunteers, so we can't be
>> > jerks about it.  Ultimately, we need them more than they need us, and often
>> > it's all we can do to get a booth fully staffed.
>>
>> Well of course. I think more to the point would be:
>>
>> No Command Prompt, Inc/EnterpriseDB shirts...
>>
>> However, I doubt that any volunteer is going to have a problem. I
>> mean they did volunteer for a reason ;)
>
> How do you handle commercial booth staff who want to help in the
> booth for a while?  I like the consistent look idea, but the
> exclusion thing seems odd.

The point is that since it's an .ORG booth, the purpose is to promote
the .ORG activity.

If EnterpriseDB wants to staff a booth, it's entirely proper to pay
for one; to use the .ORG booth to promote EnterpriseDB isn't.

This isn't "be mean to EnterpriseDB Day;" the point is that there's a
fine line between proper use and "less proper use," and if you want to
stay *clearly* on the proper side of the line, wearing commercial
advertising (e.g. - Command Prompt shirts) isn't going to look
exemplary.
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "gmail.com")
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/lisp.html

Date:
Christopher Browne wrote:
> After a long battle with technology, bruce@momjian.us (Bruce Momjian), an earthling, wrote:
>> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>>>

> If EnterpriseDB wants to staff a booth, it's entirely proper to pay
> for one; to use the .ORG booth to promote EnterpriseDB isn't.
>
> This isn't "be mean to EnterpriseDB Day;" the point is that there's a
> fine line between proper use and "less proper use," and if you want to
> stay *clearly* on the proper side of the line, wearing commercial
> advertising (e.g. - Command Prompt shirts) isn't going to look
> exemplary.

Exactly.

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Moving toward a more professional booth presence

From
Dave Page
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Booth members will wear PostgreSQL.Org shirts. PostgreSQL.Org will

Please tell me we're not camel-casing the domain name in promo
materials. It looks ridiculous.

Regards, Dave

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Josh,
>
>> Booth members will wear PostgreSQL.Org shirts. PostgreSQL.Org will
>> provide the shirts. Other shirts will not be allowed for booth
>> volunteers. Remember it is all about PostgreSQL.Org. :)
>
> Keep in mind that many/most booth people *are* volunteers, so we can't be
> jerks about it.  Ultimately, we need them more than they need us, and often
> it's all we can do to get a booth fully staffed.
>
> So I think it's more applicable to have a supply of T-shirts on hand and to
> strongly encourage all booth volunteers to wear them.

Can I also suggest having at least black and white ones? You wouldn't
get me in a white one without a serious amount of cash or beer for
example, and I imagine others feel the same way.

Regards, Dave

Date:
On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 09:04:44 +0100 Dave Page wrote:

> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > So I think it's more applicable to have a supply of T-shirts on hand and to
> > strongly encourage all booth volunteers to wear them.
>
> Can I also suggest having at least black and white ones? You wouldn't
> get me in a white one without a serious amount of cash or beer for
> example, and I imagine others feel the same way.

Good idea, i also like the black ones more ... most of the time.

Kind regards

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: Moving toward a more professional booth presence

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: Moving toward a more professional booth presence

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Wednesday 13 June 2007 07:02, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 09:04:44 +0100 Dave Page wrote:
> > Josh Berkus wrote:
> > > So I think it's more applicable to have a supply of T-shirts on hand
> > > and to strongly encourage all booth volunteers to wear them.
> >
> > Can I also suggest having at least black and white ones? You wouldn't
> > get me in a white one without a serious amount of cash or beer for
> > example, and I imagine others feel the same way.
>
> Good idea, i also like the black ones more ... most of the time.

Well, if I were making "uniforms" for postgresql workers, I'd expect them to
be blue... of course your bikeshed may vary...

--
Robert Treat

Date:
On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 08:09:35 -0400 Robert Treat wrote:

> On Wednesday 13 June 2007 07:02, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> >
> > Good idea, i also like the black ones more ... most of the time.
>
> Well, if I were making "uniforms" for postgresql workers, I'd expect them to
> be blue... of course your bikeshed may vary...

Well, seems ok for me. Sorry, did not spend a thought on blue, since
i've only seen black and white shirts in the past.

Kind regards

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
 (Ferenc Mantfeld)

Re: Moving toward a more professional booth presence

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Wed, Jun 13, 2007 at 11:43:48AM -0000, Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:

> >> Booth members will wear PostgreSQL.Org shirts. PostgreSQL.Org will
>
> > Please tell me we're not camel-casing the domain name in promo
> > materials. It looks ridiculous.
>
> Postgres.org resolves quite well ...  :)

Yeah, but someone stole postgre.org :-(

//Magnus

Re: Moving toward a more professional booth presence

From
Stefan 'Kaishakunin' Schumacher
Date:
Also sprach Robert Treat (xzilla@users.sourceforge.net)
> On Wednesday 13 June 2007 07:02, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
> > >
> > > Can I also suggest having at least black and white ones? You wouldn't
> > > get me in a white one without a serious amount of cash or beer for
> > > example, and I imagine others feel the same way.
> >
> > Good idea, i also like the black ones more ... most of the time.

Black shirts rule. And I want to suggest to produce real XXXXXL
shirts. In 2004 I got a white XXL shirt from Peter Eisentraut, which
didn't fit my athletic, Bud-Spencer-like body ;-)

> Well, if I were making "uniforms" for postgresql workers, I'd expect them to
> be blue... of course your bikeshed may vary...

One should keep in mind that such a T-Shirt uniform might not fit all
events. More commercial ones might require a more formal dress, like
polo shirts or a classical suit. At the LinuxTag in Berlin were
neckties with a BSD-daemon[1] sold.

Maybe we should organize the production of a necktie with an elephant
logo?

[1] http://net-tex.dnsalias.org/~stefan/gallery/LinuxTag2007/Daemon_Krawatte_klein.jpg.html
--
PGP FPR: CF74 D5F2 4871 3E5C FFFE  0130 11F4 C41E B3FB AE33
http://www.net-tex.de

Attachment

Dave Page wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Josh,
>>
>>> Booth members will wear PostgreSQL.Org shirts. PostgreSQL.Org will
>>> provide the shirts. Other shirts will not be allowed for booth
>>> volunteers. Remember it is all about PostgreSQL.Org. :)
>> Keep in mind that many/most booth people *are* volunteers, so we can't be
>> jerks about it.  Ultimately, we need them more than they need us, and often
>> it's all we can do to get a booth fully staffed.
>>
>> So I think it's more applicable to have a supply of T-shirts on hand and to
>> strongly encourage all booth volunteers to wear them.
>
> Can I also suggest having at least black and white ones? You wouldn't
> get me in a white one without a serious amount of cash or beer for
> example, and I imagine others feel the same way.

Heh... I believe the OSCON ones are either dark blue or black, I don't
recall.

> Regards, Dave

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Moving toward a more professional booth presence

From
Stefan Kaltenbrunner
Dave Page wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Josh,
>>
>>> Booth members will wear PostgreSQL.Org shirts. PostgreSQL.Org will
>>> provide the shirts. Other shirts will not be allowed for booth
>>> volunteers. Remember it is all about PostgreSQL.Org. :)
>> Keep in mind that many/most booth people *are* volunteers, so we can't be
>> jerks about it.  Ultimately, we need them more than they need us, and often
>> it's all we can do to get a booth fully staffed.
>>
>> So I think it's more applicable to have a supply of T-shirts on hand and to
>> strongly encourage all booth volunteers to wear them.
>
> Can I also suggest having at least black and white ones? You wouldn't
> get me in a white one without a serious amount of cash or beer for
> example, and I imagine others feel the same way.

I second that - please consider black or blue (or provide a ton of beer
for all the events)

Stefan

Date:
Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
>> Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> Josh,

>>> Keep in mind that many/most booth people *are* volunteers, so we can't be
>>> jerks about it.  Ultimately, we need them more than they need us, and often
>>> it's all we can do to get a booth fully staffed.
>>>
>>> So I think it's more applicable to have a supply of T-shirts on hand and to
>>> strongly encourage all booth volunteers to wear them.
>> Can I also suggest having at least black and white ones? You wouldn't
>> get me in a white one without a serious amount of cash or beer for
>> example, and I imagine others feel the same way.
>
> I second that - please consider black or blue (or provide a ton of beer
> for all the events)

www.postgresqlparty.org

Joshua D. Drake ;)

> Stefan

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: Moving toward a more professional booth presence

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Dave, Stefan,

> Can I also suggest having at least black and white ones? You wouldn't
> get me in a white one without a serious amount of cash or beer for
> example, and I imagine others feel the same way.

The shirts are royal blue.

> One should keep in mind that such a T-Shirt uniform might not fit all
> events. More commercial ones might require a more formal dress, like
> polo shirts or a classical suit. At the LinuxTag in Berlin were
> neckties with a BSD-daemon[1] sold.

Well, that's what the blue elephant enamel pins are for.  Thanks Elein!

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Dave Page wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Josh,
> >
> >> Booth members will wear PostgreSQL.Org shirts. PostgreSQL.Org will
> >> provide the shirts. Other shirts will not be allowed for booth
> >> volunteers. Remember it is all about PostgreSQL.Org. :)
> >
> > Keep in mind that many/most booth people *are* volunteers, so we can't be
> > jerks about it.  Ultimately, we need them more than they need us, and often
> > it's all we can do to get a booth fully staffed.
> >
> > So I think it's more applicable to have a supply of T-shirts on hand and to
> > strongly encourage all booth volunteers to wear them.
>
> Can I also suggest having at least black and white ones? You wouldn't
> get me in a white one without a serious amount of cash or beer for
> example, and I imagine others feel the same way.

I am worried a dark blue t-shirt on top of a light blue EnterpriseDB
long-sleeve shirt is going to look rediculous.  I am thinking I will
just avoid helping in the booth.

I still feel this policy is very non-open-source-like, but maybe that is
the point.

Re: Moving toward a more professional booth presence

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
> > Josh Berkus wrote:
> > > Josh,

> > > Keep in mind that many/most booth people *are* volunteers, so we can't be
> > > jerks about it.  Ultimately, we need them more than they need us, and often
> > > it's all we can do to get a booth fully staffed.
> > >
> > > So I think it's more applicable to have a supply of T-shirts on hand and to
> > > strongly encourage all booth volunteers to wear them.
> >
> > Can I also suggest having at least black and white ones? You wouldn't
> > get me in a white one without a serious amount of cash or beer for
> > example, and I imagine others feel the same way.
>
> I am worried a dark blue t-shirt on top of a light blue EnterpriseDB
> long-sleeve shirt is going to look rediculous.  I am thinking I will
> just avoid helping in the booth.
>
> I still feel this policy is very non-open-source-like, but maybe that is
> the point.

You know, you could just get a large PostgreSQL sticker that goes over
any commercial logo.

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
>> Josh Berkus wrote:
>>> Josh,

>>> So I think it's more applicable to have a supply of T-shirts on hand and to
>>> strongly encourage all booth volunteers to wear them.
>> Can I also suggest having at least black and white ones? You wouldn't
>> get me in a white one without a serious amount of cash or beer for
>> example, and I imagine others feel the same way.
>
> I am worried a dark blue t-shirt on top of a light blue EnterpriseDB
> long-sleeve shirt is going to look rediculous.  I am thinking I will
> just avoid helping in the booth.

I have seen the shirts (at least a picture of them) they look pretty
good actually.

> I still feel this policy is very non-open-source-like, but maybe that is
> the point.

How is providing a uniform presence that promotes our community
non-open-source-like?

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > I still feel this policy is very non-open-source-like, but maybe that is
> > the point.
> >

> How is providing a uniform presence that promotes our community
> non-open-source-like?

You are basically saying you have to dress a specific way to help, and
if you don't/can't dress that way, we don't want you in the booth.  I
guess it is like rejecting a patch.

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> I still feel this policy is very non-open-source-like, but maybe that is
>>> the point.
>>>
>> How is providing a uniform presence that promotes our community
>> non-open-source-like?
>
> You are basically saying you have to dress a specific way to help, and
> if you don't/can't dress that way, we don't want you in the booth.  I
> guess it is like rejecting a patch.

I think the basic idea of making sure that they're always provided, and
*encouraging* people to wear them, is a very good thing.

*Requiring* people to wear them seems like a bad thing. These are after
all volunteers we're talking about - regardless of if they're there on
their own money or on company time (for a pg or other company).

//Magnus

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>>> I still feel this policy is very non-open-source-like, but maybe that is
>>> the point.
>>>
>> How is providing a uniform presence that promotes our community
>> non-open-source-like?
>
> You are basically saying you have to dress a specific way to help, and
> if you don't/can't dress that way, we don't want you in the booth.  I
> guess it is like rejecting a patch.

Well there ya go :). Kind of an odd metaphor but I think it works.

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>>>
>>> How is providing a uniform presence that promotes our community
>>> non-open-source-like?
>> You are basically saying you have to dress a specific way to help, and
>> if you don't/can't dress that way, we don't want you in the booth.  I
>> guess it is like rejecting a patch.
>
> I think the basic idea of making sure that they're always provided, and
> *encouraging* people to wear them, is a very good thing.
>
> *Requiring* people to wear them seems like a bad thing. These are after
> all volunteers we're talking about - regardless of if they're there on
> their own money or on company time (for a pg or other company).

They don't have to volunteer :). Just like they don't have to submit a
patch.

Just like we don't have to accept the patch.

We of course aren't talking about draconian measures here. IF we don't
have the right size, the person is allergic to cotton, or they are just
stopping by to help for an hour, it probably isn't that big of a deal.

On the other hand, why is it we can have standards for the code we
accept but not the presentation of the community?

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> They don't have to volunteer :). Just like they don't have to submit a
> patch.
>
> Just like we don't have to accept the patch.
>
> We of course aren't talking about draconian measures here. IF we don't
> have the right size, the person is allergic to cotton, or they are just
> stopping by to help for an hour, it probably isn't that big of a deal.
>
> On the other hand, why is it we can have standards for the code we
> accept but not the presentation of the community?

Patches are rejected because they don't match the goals of the project.
You can say the same thing about dress, but it clearly is _appearance_
you are basing it on, which is an area we have never evaluated in the
past.

In the past we used to have a _very_ mixed message with lots of
conflicting material on the table.  I wonder if we are over reacting to
try to get everyone in the same shirt.

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> They don't have to volunteer :). Just like they don't have to submit a
>> patch.
>>
>> Just like we don't have to accept the patch.
>>
>> We of course aren't talking about draconian measures here. IF we don't
>> have the right size, the person is allergic to cotton, or they are just
>> stopping by to help for an hour, it probably isn't that big of a deal.
>>
>> On the other hand, why is it we can have standards for the code we
>> accept but not the presentation of the community?
>
> Patches are rejected because they don't match the goals of the project.
> You can say the same thing about dress, but it clearly is _appearance_
> you are basing it on, which is an area we have never evaluated in the
> past.

I think you are looking at this in a slightly different way that I am
(and many of the others who have agreed in principal to this). We as a
community have been focusing on appearance for years.

Everything we do is appearance, from code readability standards within
the community, to the style sheet on the website. Heck even the hubbub
about Pgfoundry is about "appearance". It looks bad for the community if
pgfoundry goes down. It looks bad if our website is ugly. It looks bad
if our documentation isn't readable. It looks bad if our code is spaghetti.

It also looks bad, if we look like a bunch of unshaven, unshowered
masses with no organization and no official presence. I am just as
guilty (well at least the unshaven part) as the rest of us and people
who have manned booths with me, know that I originally was also against
a unified presence. We live, learn and grow.

This is just another piece natural evolution of the community into a
even more mature entity.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I wonder if we are over reacting to
> try to get everyone in the same shirt.

I wonder if pink tutus would be more universally acceptable?

/D

Re: Moving toward a more professional booth presence

From
Chander Ganesan
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
Dave Page wrote:
Josh Berkus wrote:
Josh,

[...]

You could just change your shirt instead of pulling one over another.  If you do it at the booth you might even get more people to come and visit (I guess that's where Josh B.'s objection to the non-PC term "booth bunnies" is applicable).  You could probably duck behind the new banner and do it (without too many ooglers) - or a nearby restroom?

Or just wear the EDB one over the PG one....
--
Chander Ganesan
Open Technology Group, Inc.
One Copley Parkway, Suite 210
Morrisville, NC  27560
Phone: 877-258-8987/919-463-0999
http://www.otg-nc.com

Re: Moving toward a more professional booth presence

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> It also looks bad, if we look like a bunch of unshaven, unshowered
> masses with no organization and no official presence. I am just as
> guilty (well at least the unshaven part) as the rest of us and people
> who have manned booths with me, know that I originally was also against
> a unified presence. We live, learn and grow.

Should we ask all would-be booth bunnies also attend a gym before the
event?  I fear we would look bad if the booths were manned by people
with an obesity problem.

Also, what will happen when the XXXL shirt you give me is too big for me?

Re: Moving toward a more professional booth presence

From
Cornelia Boenigk
Date:
Hi

 > I still feel this policy is very non-open-source-like, but
 > maybe that is the point.

Whether or not, in my experience it should be obvious for the
visitors which people belong to a booth, which people to ask.

 > We live, learn and grow.
Hopefully ;-))

Regards
Conni

Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> It also looks bad, if we look like a bunch of unshaven, unshowered
>> masses with no organization and no official presence. I am just as
>> guilty (well at least the unshaven part) as the rest of us and people
>> who have manned booths with me, know that I originally was also against
>> a unified presence. We live, learn and grow.
>
> Should we ask all would-be booth bunnies also attend a gym before the
> event?  I fear we would look bad if the booths were manned by people
> with an obesity problem.

Of course not and that is beyond anything I was suggesting.

> Also, what will happen when the XXXL shirt you give me is too big for me?

Use it as a night shirt?

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/