Re: Moving toward a more professional booth presence - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Moving toward a more professional booth presence
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>>>>
>>> How is providing a uniform presence that promotes our community
>>> non-open-source-like?
>> You are basically saying you have to dress a specific way to help, and
>> if you don't/can't dress that way, we don't want you in the booth.  I
>> guess it is like rejecting a patch.
>
> I think the basic idea of making sure that they're always provided, and
> *encouraging* people to wear them, is a very good thing.
>
> *Requiring* people to wear them seems like a bad thing. These are after
> all volunteers we're talking about - regardless of if they're there on
> their own money or on company time (for a pg or other company).

They don't have to volunteer :). Just like they don't have to submit a
patch.

Just like we don't have to accept the patch.

We of course aren't talking about draconian measures here. IF we don't
have the right size, the person is allergic to cotton, or they are just
stopping by to help for an hour, it probably isn't that big of a deal.

On the other hand, why is it we can have standards for the code we
accept but not the presentation of the community?

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/