Re: Moving toward a more professional booth presence - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Moving toward a more professional booth presence
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> They don't have to volunteer :). Just like they don't have to submit a
>> patch.
>>
>> Just like we don't have to accept the patch.
>>
>> We of course aren't talking about draconian measures here. IF we don't
>> have the right size, the person is allergic to cotton, or they are just
>> stopping by to help for an hour, it probably isn't that big of a deal.
>>
>> On the other hand, why is it we can have standards for the code we
>> accept but not the presentation of the community?
>
> Patches are rejected because they don't match the goals of the project.
> You can say the same thing about dress, but it clearly is _appearance_
> you are basing it on, which is an area we have never evaluated in the
> past.

I think you are looking at this in a slightly different way that I am
(and many of the others who have agreed in principal to this). We as a
community have been focusing on appearance for years.

Everything we do is appearance, from code readability standards within
the community, to the style sheet on the website. Heck even the hubbub
about Pgfoundry is about "appearance". It looks bad for the community if
pgfoundry goes down. It looks bad if our website is ugly. It looks bad
if our documentation isn't readable. It looks bad if our code is spaghetti.

It also looks bad, if we look like a bunch of unshaven, unshowered
masses with no organization and no official presence. I am just as
guilty (well at least the unshaven part) as the rest of us and people
who have manned booths with me, know that I originally was also against
a unified presence. We live, learn and grow.

This is just another piece natural evolution of the community into a
even more mature entity.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/