Slashdot discussion

Date:
OK, thanks to the www.phpbuilder.com PostgreSQL/MySQL comparison, there
is another PostgreSQL/MySQL thread on shashdot.org.  Looks interesting,
and of course, we are looking good too.

Re: Slashdot discussion

From
Graeme Merrall
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> OK, thanks to the www.phpbuilder.com PostgreSQL/MySQL comparison, there
> is another PostgreSQL/MySQL thread on shashdot.org.  Looks interesting,
> and of course, we are looking good too.
I stuck my two cents in of course. :)
I think most people are of the opinion that each too is good to fit a
certain niche. Without wanting to starta thread war I think postgres is
great, but for many people the learning curve is too great and thus
MySQL is a good introduction.
I think a lot of people get started in MySQL and move up to Postgres.

Cheers,
 Graeme

Re: Slashdot discussion

From
Chris Bitmead
Date:
Graeme Merrall wrote:
> Without wanting to starta thread war I think postgres is
> great, but for many people the learning curve is too great and thus
> MySQL is a good introduction.

In what way is mysql easier to learn?

Re: Slashdot discussion

From
Graeme Merrall
Date:
Chris Bitmead wrote:

> Graeme Merrall wrote:
> > Without wanting to starta thread war I think postgres is
> > great, but for many people the learning curve is too great and thus
> > MySQL is a good introduction.
Well speaking personally I found the documentation for MySQL better, the
install process simpler and getting stuff done just generally easier.
Things like phpMyAdmin just aren't out there for postgres although the
pgsql port is a pretty damn fine effort and I've never seen anything
like pgaccess for mysql. It may have been that I got my start in mSQL to
the transition was a little easier. Having said that, having now seen
Oracle and various other larger RDBMS's I understand the niches that
postgres and mysql fill. Postgres is now my DB of choice so I'm not
anti-mysql or anti-pgsql and if I don't like the docs that's fine, I
should just do something about it.
One thing that really cheeses me off are ppl going "Your documentation
sucks - do something about it" in an open source situation. There's the
CVS big fella, get writing. And if I was in a situation to do that, I
would.

Cheers,
 Graeme

Re: Slashdot discussion

From
Giles Lean
Date:
> I think most people are of the opinion that each too is good to fit a
> certain niche. Without wanting to starta thread war I think postgres is
> great, but for many people the learning curve is too great and thus
> MySQL is a good introduction.

I'm curious about this.  For me PostgreSQL was easy to build, it was
trivially easy to create a non-superuser user account (important when
just learning!), and the online documentation is both easy to follow
and is in nice small pages.  Bruce's book helps too, of course.

In contrast, MySQL is a right pain to build at least on a low end
non-Linux system, and to create a non-superuser account involves
ridiculous amounts of study of the permissions model MySQL uses.

After surmounting those challenges I still find the MySQL
documentation difficult and it isn't helped by being in such large
HTML pages.  (I see in another response someone else found this the
other way around though!)

Finally, PostgreSQL offers features that are a real boon to my
application such as referential integrity and transactions.  I'm sold.
(I'll even finish the error logging code I promised Real Soon Now;
stuff happened but I'm back on it.)

Regards,

Giles

P.S. My tolerance is negligible for anything that goes "beep" the way
mysql insists on doing when giving error messages.  Like anyone needs
that when they're trying to figure out SQL syntax!  Having to figure
out SQL syntax is pennance enough, surely ...

Re: Slashdot discussion

Date:
> P.S. My tolerance is negligible for anything that goes "beep" the way
> mysql insists on doing when giving error messages.  Like anyone needs
> that when they're trying to figure out SQL syntax!  Having to figure
> out SQL syntax is pennance enough, surely ...

MySQL beeps at you on an error.  Ewe.

Re: Slashdot discussion

From
philip@adhesivemedia.com (Philip Hallstrom)
Date:
In article <am.pgsql.general.963210387.90464@illiad.adhesivemedia.com>,
Chris Bitmead  <chrisb@nimrod.itg.telstra.com.au> wrote:
>Graeme Merrall wrote:
>> Without wanting to starta thread war I think postgres is
>> great, but for many people the learning curve is too great and thus
>> MySQL is a good introduction.
>
>In what way is mysql easier to learn?
I think MySQL is easier to learn since there are a lot of DB features
(transactions, views, sub-queries, etc) that are missing... so there's a
lot less to learn...  I'm not entirely sure that's a good thing though
since people end up "hacking" there way around that sort of thing -- I
know I did...
There are a lot more third-party tools (someone mentioned that web admin
tool) etc... which a lot of people like.  I tend to stick to the command
line and for the most part they are both the "same" in how easy/hard it
is to learn them.
I personally find postgres' docs to be much better if only because it is
broken up into reasonable chunks... and I like the very explicit
statements indicating whether this is a postgres extension etc... (yes,
i know there is a section in mysql, but i don't think it's mentioned
with the defination of a particular statement).
-philip

Re: Slashdot discussion

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Bruce Momjian writes:

> OK, thanks to the www.phpbuilder.com PostgreSQL/MySQL comparison, there
> is another PostgreSQL/MySQL thread on shashdot.org.  Looks interesting,
> and of course, we are looking good too.

Is anyone else noticing this: Everytime this sort of thing comes up a
number of people invariably tell that they are using MySQL because it's
easier to install, and that PostgreSQL is difficult ("a pain") to install.

I've studied the MySQL installation instructions, and they don't strike me
as inherently simpler. Is it only perception, or what can we do better?

Re: Slashdot discussion

Date:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > OK, thanks to the www.phpbuilder.com PostgreSQL/MySQL comparison, there
> > is another PostgreSQL/MySQL thread on shashdot.org.  Looks interesting,
> > and of course, we are looking good too.
>
> Is anyone else noticing this: Everytime this sort of thing comes up a
> number of people invariably tell that they are using MySQL because it's
> easier to install, and that PostgreSQL is difficult ("a pain") to install.
>
> I've studied the MySQL installation instructions, and they don't strike me
> as inherently simpler. Is it only perception, or what can we do better?

I am confused by this also.

Re: Slashdot discussion

From
Ed Loehr
Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> I've studied the MySQL installation instructions, and they don't strike me
> as inherently simpler. Is it only perception, or what can we do better?

Good question.  My 2 cents...

1)  The RPM-installed binaries that come with RH 6.0/6.1 can easily and
stealthly interfere with a src.tar.gz installation due to $PATH settings
(accidentally drawing on /bin/p* instead of /opt/pgsql/bin/p* ...  Adding
detection to setup/install scripts might mitigate that.

2)  Write an install wizard script that figures everything out for the
user based on questions/prompts.

Regards,
Ed Loehr

Re: Slashdot discussion

Date:
> I've studied the MySQL installation instructions, and they don't strike me
> as inherently simpler. Is it only perception, or what can we do better?

IMHO it's partly a documentation problem, and partly a matter of people
not having looked at recent versions.  A few years back it did take some
know-how to get Postgres installed.

I think the install-procedure docs in 7.0 are markedly better than they
were before, but they could still use further improvement.

Your work on configure/build/install scripts will help too of course ;-)

            regards, tom lane

Re: Slashdot discussion

From
Graeme Merrall
Date:
> Is anyone else noticing this: Everytime this sort of thing comes up a
> number of people invariably tell that they are using MySQL because it's
> easier to install, and that PostgreSQL is difficult ("a pain") to install.
>
> I've studied the MySQL installation instructions, and they don't strike me
> as inherently simpler. Is it only perception, or what can we do better?
Possibly because for most people the process is a simple './configure;
make; make install'

Pgsql doesn't do this. Not the install process is any less better but
more because pgsql is a different beast and it's desifgned to work
differently. Just as (say) you can't install Oracle the same way as
MySQL, you can't install pgsql the same way either. The price of freedom
is enternal vigilance or in our case, the price of a more powerful DB is
a harder install :)
I had the ermm.. joy of installing Oracle in a dev situation and that
was much tricker then a pgsql install. env vars, directory set up -
sheesh :)

Cheers,
 Graeme

Re: Slashdot discussion

From
DAROLD Gilles
Date:
Chris Bitmead wrote:

> Graeme Merrall wrote:
> > Without wanting to starta thread war I think postgres is
> > great, but for many people the learning curve is too great and thus
> > MySQL is a good introduction.
>
> In what way is mysql easier to learn?

To my point of view postgres is more easy to install and to start from.
I have
began to learn SQL and database with postgres95. It's still the most
easiest
database to install and to manage. The only thing it's to read
documentation
and Postgres is now very well documented.  I have tried to run mysql
many
time but I never be patient enought to see it run. Beginers knowledge is
perhaps
more advanced than in Postgres mailing list because every one have a
friend
who have run mysql ... Not me :-)

Re: Slashdot discussion

From
"Christopher Smith"

> Is anyone else noticing this: Everytime this sort of thing comes up a
> number of people invariably tell that they are using MySQL because it's
> easier to install, and that PostgreSQL is difficult ("a pain") to install.
>
> I've studied the MySQL installation instructions, and they don't strike me
> as inherently simpler. Is it only perception, or what can we do better?

It's not that, to me it's support. I was looking at doing a postgres / php based
website, but couldn't find anything about this combination anywhere, it's all
mysql. I'm now writing my own, and getting some feedback :)
http://designmagick.50megs.com/postgresql-tutorial/
any comments would be great (I know about the serial function, I've updated it
but haven't uploaded the new version yet).

Chris.

Re: Slashdot discussion

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Graeme Merrall wrote:

> > Is anyone else noticing this: Everytime this sort of thing comes up a
> > number of people invariably tell that they are using MySQL because it's
> > easier to install, and that PostgreSQL is difficult ("a pain") to install.
> >
> > I've studied the MySQL installation instructions, and they don't strike me
> > as inherently simpler. Is it only perception, or what can we do better?
> Possibly because for most people the process is a simple './configure;
> make; make install'
>
> Pgsql doesn't do this. Not the install process is any less better but

huh?  all i do is './configure;make;make install' ...

Re: Slashdot discussion

From
Graeme Merrall
Date:
The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Graeme Merrall wrote:
>

> > > Is anyone else noticing this: Everytime this sort of thing comes up a
> > > number of people invariably tell that they are using MySQL because it's
> > > easier to install, and that PostgreSQL is difficult ("a pain") to install.
> > >
> > > I've studied the MySQL installation instructions, and they don't strike me
> > > as inherently simpler. Is it only perception, or what can we do better?
> > Possibly because for most people the process is a simple './configure;
> > make; make install'
> >
> > Pgsql doesn't do this. Not the install process is any less better but
>
> huh?  all i do is './configure;make;make install' ...

I was referring to creating a new user etc which although mysql says it
would be a good idea to do, doesn't recommend from the start.
Hmm.. mind you, I've yet to do a v7.x install so I should just kepe my
trap shut :)

Re: Slashdot discussion

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Graeme Merrall wrote:

> The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> > > Possibly because for most people the process is a simple './configure;
> > > make; make install'
> > >
> > > Pgsql doesn't do this. Not the install process is any less better but
> >
> > huh?  all i do is './configure;make;make install' ...
>
> I was referring to creating a new user etc which although mysql says it
> would be a good idea to do, doesn't recommend from the start.
> Hmm.. mind you, I've yet to do a v7.x install so I should just kepe my
> trap shut :)

what?  mysql let's you install as root?? :)

Re: Slashdot discussion

Date:
Just a comment on the Slashdot thread in general.  I see us really
gaining on MySQL.  Every month we get farther.  Our rate of improvement
means we should leave them in the dust in 1-2 years.

Re: Slashdot discussion

From
selkovjr@mcs.anl.gov
Date:
> > Bruce Momjian writes:
> >
> > > OK, thanks to the www.phpbuilder.com PostgreSQL/MySQL comparison, there
> > > is another PostgreSQL/MySQL thread on shashdot.org.  Looks interesting,
> > > and of course, we are looking good too.
> >
> > Is anyone else noticing this: Everytime this sort of thing comes up a
> > number of people invariably tell that they are using MySQL because it's
> > easier to install, and that PostgreSQL is difficult ("a pain") to install.
> >
> > I've studied the MySQL installation instructions, and they don't strike me
> > as inherently simpler. Is it only perception, or what can we do better?
>
> I am confused by this also.

Most of us tend to think of the development of the human species as if
the natural evolution was still a factor. It isn't anymore -- not so
much as it used to be. Back in the 19th century, what where the
chances of survival for a child born with a three-chamber heart? What
are these now?

Because of the ever diminishing evolutionary pressure, we become ever
more different and the concept of "bad" becomes murky. What once was
deadly is just abnormal today, and may even be OK tomorrow. How could
such an increasing variety pass unnoticed in the world of software,
which, like other tools in general, is arguably an extension of one's
organism?

I recall the days just about 20 years back, when Bill first emerged
with his BASIC. Who in their sane mind would then bet on its
survival, let alone see any commercial value in it? Even today, I know
lots of people who believe that Bill's BASIC was and is the best
software available to them. Who cares whether it works or not? It's
good. Period.

Bottom line -- we will eventually come to peace with the following
ugly facts:

* Bad things survive
* Useless things flourish
* The perception of the difficulty and simplicity is random
* The presence of features may repel users as much as the lack thereof
* A fairly large population *prefers* to do things in the hard way
* Free market is not automatically a smart one (look at the destiny
  of the Dvorak keyboard or how they harass the GM food manufacturers).

Sad as all this is, we are going to leave with it. But you folks are
doing a great job!

--Gene

Re: Slashdot discussion

From
Chris Bitmead
Date:
Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > OK, thanks to the www.phpbuilder.com PostgreSQL/MySQL comparison, there
> > is another PostgreSQL/MySQL thread on shashdot.org.  Looks interesting,
> > and of course, we are looking good too.
>
> Is anyone else noticing this: Everytime this sort of thing comes up a
> number of people invariably tell that they are using MySQL because it's
> easier to install, and that PostgreSQL is difficult ("a pain") to install.
>
> I've studied the MySQL installation instructions, and they don't strike me
> as inherently simpler. Is it only perception, or what can we do better?

I think postgres is pretty easy to install. But for newbies, I think
mention should be made of "createuser" within the top level "INSTALL"
document. I think figuring out getting permission to create a database
is
something new users struggle a bit with.

Re: Slashdot discussion

From
Chris Bitmead
Ed Loehr wrote:

> Good question.  My 2 cents...
>
> 1)  The RPM-installed binaries that come with RH 6.0/6.1 can easily and
> stealthly interfere with a src.tar.gz installation due to $PATH settings
> (accidentally drawing on /bin/p* instead of /opt/pgsql/bin/p* ...  Adding
> detection to setup/install scripts might mitigate that.

That's a good point too. The INSTALL instructions should probably
contain
info on how to remove the default redhat or debian postgres
installation.

Re: Slashdot discussion

From
"J.R. Belding"
PostgreSQL:

Early on, it was quite a bit easier to find resources on the Internet
pertaining to MySQL.  PostgreSQL info is out there, but I had to look a
bit further to find it.  #mysql has much more activity than does
#postgresql, and since I prefer this method of communication over
mailing-lists, I found this to be very much in MySQL's favor.

The MySQL installation was somewhat more straightforward, but I didn't
find the PostgreSQL installation to be terribly intimidating.

I found MySQL to be significantly easier to use, however, once I started
experimenting with basic functionality.  Most tasks in MySQL were
straightforward, so I was surprised to find that the same tasks in
PostgreSQL required much more effort (for example dropping a column, or
changing a column's data type).  Further, I ran across a web-based
administrative program called WebMin that has a MySQL module. For a
novice user like myself, this kind of GUI simplifies things tremendously
and has really made working with MySQL much more pleasant in comparison.

As I learned more about the advanced features PostgreSQL offered, I
became concerned that MySQL might not be desirable for my application.
But I shortly realized that while PostgreSQL includes support for
advanced functionality such as Transactions, Subselects, Views, etc.,
it's not likely that I'll have the skills to take advantage of these
features for quite some time.  And since it seems reasonable to expect
that MySQL will add many of these features in the near future, it makes
sense for me to go with MySQL for my application.

Of course, I reserve the right to change my mind. :-)

Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > OK, thanks to the www.phpbuilder.com PostgreSQL/MySQL comparison, there
> > is another PostgreSQL/MySQL thread on shashdot.org.  Looks interesting,
> > and of course, we are looking good too.
>
> Is anyone else noticing this: Everytime this sort of thing comes up a
> number of people invariably tell that they are using MySQL because it's
> easier to install, and that PostgreSQL is difficult ("a pain") to install.
>
> I've studied the MySQL installation instructions, and they don't strike me
> as inherently simpler. Is it only perception, or what can we do better?
>
> --
> Peter Eisentraut                  Sernanders väg 10:115
> peter_e@gmx.net                   75262 Uppsala
> http://yi.org/peter-e/            Sweden

Re: Slashdot discussion

From
Jeff Waugh
Date:
> J.R. Belding wrote:
>
> #mysql has much more activity than does #postgresql, and since I prefer
> this method of communication over mailing-lists, I found this to be very
> much in MySQL's favor.

Hmm. So which server do most postgresql people hang out on?

- Jeff

-- jdub@aphid.net --------------------------------- http://linux.conf.au/ --

              linux.conf.au - coming to Sydney in January 2001

    Installing Linux Around Australia - http://linux.org.au/installfest/

Re: Slashdot discussion

From
Thomas
Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Just a comment on the Slashdot thread in general.  I see us really
> gaining on MySQL.  Every month we get farther.  Our rate of improvement
> means we should leave them in the dust in 1-2 years.

Do you think it's a good idea to turn fsync off by default?  I think most
first-time users will not know about turning fsync off when comparing
PostgreSQL and MySQL, and mistakenly judge PostgreSQL's slowness.

Regards,
Thomas.

Re: Slashdot discussion

From
"Oliver Elphick"
Date:
Chris Bitmead wrote:
  >That's a good point too. The INSTALL instructions should probably
  >contain
  >info on how to remove the default redhat or debian postgres
  >installation.

For Debian, at least, this is a standard operation for any package; i.e.,
`dpkg --remove package' or `dpkg --purge package'.  (--purge removes the
configuration files as well.)  dpkg will complain if this would cause any
dependency to be violated.

I'm not sure that there's much use in putting this in the INSTALL; any
Debian user ought to know it any case, and Debian users don't generally
expect to read the upstream install files because they expect the
package maintainer to have handled anything necessary.
PostgreSQL is in the main Debian distribution, so there ought to be no
special issues about its installation or removal.

     "I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto
      me, and heard my cry. He brought me up also out of an
      horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet
      upon a rock, and established my goings. And he hath
      put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God.
      Many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the
      LORD."                 Psalms 40:1-3

RE: Slashdot discussion

From
"Robert D. Nelson"
Date:
>Is anyone else noticing this: Everytime this sort of thing comes up a
>number of people invariably tell that they are using MySQL because it's
>easier to install, and that PostgreSQL is difficult ("a pain") to install.
>
>I've studied the MySQL installation instructions, and they don't strike me
>as inherently simpler. Is it only perception, or what can we do better?

For people using RPMs, Postgres is easy. rpm -ivh postgres* (or -Uvh, when
upgrading). Then "/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgres start", or whatever the command
is on your system, and if it's not installed, it installs itself. passwd
postgres to set a password for the account, and you're set. Never done
mysql, cause the rpms back on 5.2 never worked right and fubared by RPM
database. I imagine, when getting the correct rpms (I'm giving them the
benefit of the doubt, even tho I tried a dozen different rpms ;), that
installation has got to be just as simple.

Perhaps installation includes setting up the db, users, etc., after
installing the software? No idea how the two of them compare...

Rob Nelson
rdnelson@co.centre.pa.us

RE: Slashdot discussion

From
"Robert D. Nelson"
Date:
>1)  The RPM-installed binaries that come with RH 6.0/6.1 can easily and
>stealthly interfere with a src.tar.gz installation due to $PATH settings
>(accidentally drawing on /bin/p* instead of /opt/pgsql/bin/p* ...  Adding
>detection to setup/install scripts might mitigate that.

How often does that happen? If one wishes to mix tarballs and RPMs, one
needs to know the consequences. If using the tarball, uninstall the RPM. And
vice versa.

>2)  Write an install wizard script that figures everything out for the
>user based on questions/prompts.

When I installed via RPM, it asked nary a question. Should it have? :)

Rob Nelson
rdnelson@co.centre.pa.us

Re: Slashdot discussion

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, J.R. Belding wrote:

> PostgreSQL:
>

> Early on, it was quite a bit easier to find resources on the Internet
> pertaining to MySQL.  PostgreSQL info is out there, but I had to look a
> bit further to find it.  #mysql has much more activity than does
> #postgresql, and since I prefer this method of communication over
> mailing-lists, I found this to be very much in MySQL's favor.
>
> The MySQL installation was somewhat more straightforward, but I didn't
> find the PostgreSQL installation to be terribly intimidating.
>
> I found MySQL to be significantly easier to use, however, once I started
> experimenting with basic functionality.  Most tasks in MySQL were
> straightforward, so I was surprised to find that the same tasks in
> PostgreSQL required much more effort (for example dropping a column, or
> changing a column's data type).  Further, I ran across a web-based
> administrative program called WebMin that has a MySQL module. For a
> novice user like myself, this kind of GUI simplifies things tremendously
> and has really made working with MySQL much more pleasant in comparison.
>
> As I learned more about the advanced features PostgreSQL offered, I
> became concerned that MySQL might not be desirable for my application.
> But I shortly realized that while PostgreSQL includes support for
> advanced functionality such as Transactions, Subselects, Views, etc.,

transactions:

  begin;
  select <value> from table;
  update <value> in table;
  end;

subselect:

SELECT a.field
  FROM atable a, btable b
 WHERE a.key = b.key
   AND a.field2 IN ( SELECT field2
                       FROM ctable
                      WHERE field1 = value );

CREATE VIEW a_field
SELECT a.field
  FROM atable a, btable b
 WHERE a.key = b.key
   AND a.field2 IN ( SELECT field2
                       FROM ctable
                      WHERE field1 = value );

next? :)

it makes even more sense if you can put it into context of something, but
you get the idea, I hope :)

Re: Slashdot discussion

From
The Hermit Hacker
Date:
On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Jeff Waugh wrote:

> > J.R. Belding wrote:
> >
> > #mysql has much more activity than does #postgresql, and since I prefer
> > this method of communication over mailing-lists, I found this to be very
> > much in MySQL's favor.
>

> Hmm. So which server do most postgresql people hang out on?

EFNet, channel #PostgreSQL ... always someone there, but activity on it
tends to be sporatic ...

Re: Slashdot discussion

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 12:24:20AM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Is anyone else noticing this: Everytime this sort of thing comes up a
> number of people invariably tell that they are using MySQL because it's
> easier to install, and that PostgreSQL is difficult ("a pain") to install.

I've noticed that, too, but having installed them both (from source and from
packages), I have to say they're both "a pain" to install, at least as much
as anything is.  Of course they are.  They're complicated, and they're set
up to be flexible in installation on many machines.

It occurs to me, though, that many people may not install from source.
Maybe the RPMs are better for MySQL?  I don't use 'em, so I don't know.

Andrew Sullivan                                      Computer Services
<sullivana@bpl.on.ca>                        Burlington Public Library
+1 905 639 3611 x158                                   2331 New Street
                                   Burlington, Ontario, Canada L7R 1J4

Re: Slashdot discussion

From
Travis Bauer
Date:
Once I ran into a guy who said that the postgres rpm was broken in Red Hat
5.2.  This was when I was first getting into postgres.  I spent some time
with it and realized that there were a number of things that had to be
done before it would work: creating the postgres users, initializing the
database, getting something into rc.d so it would boot up
automatically.  The RPM was not broken, but it was a pain to get postgres
running unless you spent some time reading about it.  My experience with
MySQL was less painful, although dealing with user permissions was more
complex.

Travis Bauer | CS Grad Student | IU |www.cs.indiana.edu/~trbauer

kumar1@home.com (Prasanth A. Kumar)
Date:
Travis Bauer <trbauer@indiana.edu> writes:

> Once I ran into a guy who said that the postgres rpm was broken in Red Hat
> 5.2.  This was when I was first getting into postgres.  I spent some time
> with it and realized that there were a number of things that had to be
> done before it would work: creating the postgres users, initializing the
> database, getting something into rc.d so it would boot up
> automatically.  The RPM was not broken, but it was a pain to get postgres
> running unless you spent some time reading about it.  My experience with
> MySQL was less painful, although dealing with user permissions was more
> complex.
<snip>

The current Red Hat RPMS do create the postgres user and initialize
the database but doesn't define any of the environment variables. One
minor comment about the RPMS at the postgress website... The current
standard in Red Hat RPMS is to gzip all man pages because the man
program will automatically decompress them. If you run a RPM through
the program rpmlint, it will provide some useful warning about other
potential packing problems also...

--
Prasanth Kumar
kumar1@home.com

Re: Slashdot discussion

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
Travis Bauer wrote:

> Once I ran into a guy who said that the postgres rpm was broken in Red Hat
> 5.2.  This was when I was first getting into postgres.  I spent some time
> with it and realized that there were a number of things that had to be
> done before it would work: creating the postgres users, initializing the
> database, getting something into rc.d so it would boot up
> automatically.  The RPM was not broken, but it was a pain to get postgres

And, if most people's experience with the RedHat 5.2 RPM's is what
they're going on, they need to get with the program -- RH 5.2 shipped
PostgreSQL *6.3.2* which is absolutely ancient.  Although, at the time,
6.3.2 was better than nothing.

The newer RPM's, hopefully, have corrected many of the problems that
existed with the _horrid_ 6.3.2 RPMset RedHat shipped with 5.1/5.2 (5.0
shipped *6.2.1*, which we won't even talk about -- although it was a
better RPM set than *6.1.1*, which is where I first experienced the 'Joy
of PostgreSQL')  And, yes, the 6.3.2 RPMset was _horrid_ -- only there
were you entreated to the joy of an upgrade from one release of 6.3.2 to
another release of 6.3.2 totally breaking your database without warning
(thanks to the misconcieved postgresql-data subpackage).

The PostgreSQL group has come light years from the days of 6.1.1 -- I
cannot overemphasize that!  Although, I won't go as far as the 6.5
release statement of "This represents the team's Final Mastery..." :-).

The documentation is several orders of magnitude better in 7.x than
6.1.1 or even as late as 6.3.2.  The web site is also much much better
-- I still remember the logo breaking through the brick wall.

So, if most people's experience with PostgreSQL is that old.....

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: Slashdot discussion

From
Lamar Owen
Date:
"Prasanth A. Kumar" wrote:

> Travis Bauer <trbauer@indiana.edu> writes:
>
> > Once I ran into a guy who said that the postgres rpm was broken in Red Hat
> > 5.2.  This was when I was first getting into postgres.  I spent some time
> > with it and realized that there were a number of things that had to be
> > done before it would work: creating the postgres users, initializing the
> > database, getting something into rc.d so it would boot up
> > automatically.  The RPM was not broken, but it was a pain to get postgres
> > running unless you spent some time reading about it.  My experience with
> > MySQL was less painful, although dealing with user permissions was more
> > complex.
> <snip>
>
> The current Red Hat RPMS do create the postgres user and initialize
> the database but doesn't define any of the environment variables.

And where should they be defined?  /etc/profile, perhaps?  Do I really
want ot go there with ENVVARS?  (maybe I do -- maybe I don't :-))

> One
> minor comment about the RPMS at the postgress website... The current
> standard in Red Hat RPMS is to gzip all man pages because the man
> program will automatically decompress them. If you run a RPM through
> the program rpmlint, it will provide some useful warning about other
> potential packing problems also...

The only other rpmlint-able problem with the 7.0.2-2 set is the dangling
symlink of os.h in -devel (which will be fixed in the next release).
(and rpmlint's broken idea of file and directory permissions, which are
set the way they are for a reason...., and its broken idea of Vendor and
Distribution......).

The man pages are compressed in the latest RawHide release -- however,
due to my desire for cross-distribution capability with these RPM's,
since each distribution seems to have a different idea of where things
ought to go, and what format they ought to be in... --buildpolicy in the
latest RPM version fixes this sort of thing.  The spec file itself is
built with this in mind, allowing for the manpages to be compressed in
any format or not compressed at all (due to the use of the appended * in
the %files listing). Of course, that is a build-time thing -- my goal is
not binary RPM compatibility, but SOURCE RPM compatibility.

But, thanks for the critique anyway! :-)

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

Re: Slashdot discussion

From
Thomas Good
Date:
On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Lamar Owen wrote:

> And, if most people's experience with the RedHat 5.2 RPM's is what
> they're going on, they need to get with the program -- RH 5.2 shipped
> PostgreSQL *6.3.2* which is absolutely ancient.  Although, at the time,
> 6.3.2 was better than nothing.

Hello Lamar,

'Better than nothing' - hmm...

Perhaps better than MySQL?  Definitely better than PROGRESS which is
what it replaced in my shop.  I have one linux box running Pg up over
190 days - and it gets hammered on daily.  Mind you I don't run RedHat
on production machines - it's a little too cute and a little too unstable.
I use slackware.

Anyway, I have some development boxes using newer versions of Pg
(both FBSD and Linux - even a RedHat workstation) but there is nothing
wrong with 6.3.2.  Sure 7+ boasts more features and better performance
but there is nothing fatally flawed in 6.3.2.  Trust me, 190 days for
a linux box running linux is pretty good.  Especially when the users
are social workers - afraid of technology and overly fond of abusing the
text data type.

6.3.2 is certainly 'better than nothing' and, aside from slow vacuums,
I have no complaints.  Of course, I have the old logo taped to the cover
of my notebook:  a printout of the various pg manuals and Bruce's book.
Being a bit of a blockhead I kind of fancy to exploding bricks.  ;-)

BTW, re the slashdot business...

Maybe MySQL is 'perceived' as easier to use than Pg - like Access (Abcess?)
is perceived as being friendlier than a real database.  But the reality
is that MySQL always struck me as being more of a toy than an industrial
strength db - and installation isn't really that much easier.

I still recall my first build with Pg.  The docs were very good and I
had it up and running on my first attempt.  The only difficulty I had
was determining what IF to use.  I started with ecpg then switched to
DBI.  I think now I'd like to have a crack on the new and improved ecpg.
I see that Michael's done alot of work - of course it was always 'better
than nothing'!  ;-)

Cheers,
Tom
               SVCMC - Center for Behavioral Health
Thomas Good                          tomg@ { admin | q8 } .nrnet.org
IS Coordinator / DBA                 Phone: 718-354-5528
                                     Fax:   718-354-5056