Re: Slashdot discussion - Mailing list pgsql-general

From kumar1@home.com (Prasanth A. Kumar)
Subject Re: Slashdot discussion
Date
List pgsql-general
Travis Bauer <trbauer@indiana.edu> writes:

> Once I ran into a guy who said that the postgres rpm was broken in Red Hat
> 5.2.  This was when I was first getting into postgres.  I spent some time
> with it and realized that there were a number of things that had to be
> done before it would work: creating the postgres users, initializing the
> database, getting something into rc.d so it would boot up
> automatically.  The RPM was not broken, but it was a pain to get postgres
> running unless you spent some time reading about it.  My experience with
> MySQL was less painful, although dealing with user permissions was more
> complex.
<snip>

The current Red Hat RPMS do create the postgres user and initialize
the database but doesn't define any of the environment variables. One
minor comment about the RPMS at the postgress website... The current
standard in Red Hat RPMS is to gzip all man pages because the man
program will automatically decompress them. If you run a RPM through
the program rpmlint, it will provide some useful warning about other
potential packing problems also...

--
Prasanth Kumar
kumar1@home.com