Re: Slashdot discussion - Mailing list pgsql-general

From philip@adhesivemedia.com (Philip Hallstrom)
Subject Re: Slashdot discussion
Date
List pgsql-general
In article <am.pgsql.general.963210387.90464@illiad.adhesivemedia.com>,
Chris Bitmead  <chrisb@nimrod.itg.telstra.com.au> wrote:
>Graeme Merrall wrote:
>> Without wanting to starta thread war I think postgres is
>> great, but for many people the learning curve is too great and thus
>> MySQL is a good introduction.
>
>In what way is mysql easier to learn?
I think MySQL is easier to learn since there are a lot of DB features
(transactions, views, sub-queries, etc) that are missing... so there's a
lot less to learn...  I'm not entirely sure that's a good thing though
since people end up "hacking" there way around that sort of thing -- I
know I did...
There are a lot more third-party tools (someone mentioned that web admin
tool) etc... which a lot of people like.  I tend to stick to the command
line and for the most part they are both the "same" in how easy/hard it
is to learn them.
I personally find postgres' docs to be much better if only because it is
broken up into reasonable chunks... and I like the very explicit
statements indicating whether this is a postgres extension etc... (yes,
i know there is a section in mysql, but i don't think it's mentioned
with the defination of a particular statement).
-philip