RE: Slashdot discussion - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert D. Nelson
Subject RE: Slashdot discussion
Date
List pgsql-general
>1)  The RPM-installed binaries that come with RH 6.0/6.1 can easily and
>stealthly interfere with a src.tar.gz installation due to $PATH settings
>(accidentally drawing on /bin/p* instead of /opt/pgsql/bin/p* ...  Adding
>detection to setup/install scripts might mitigate that.

How often does that happen? If one wishes to mix tarballs and RPMs, one
needs to know the consequences. If using the tarball, uninstall the RPM. And
vice versa.

>2)  Write an install wizard script that figures everything out for the
>user based on questions/prompts.

When I installed via RPM, it asked nary a question. Should it have? :)

Rob Nelson
rdnelson@co.centre.pa.us