RE: Slashdot discussion - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert D. Nelson
Subject RE: Slashdot discussion
Date
List pgsql-general
>Is anyone else noticing this: Everytime this sort of thing comes up a
>number of people invariably tell that they are using MySQL because it's
>easier to install, and that PostgreSQL is difficult ("a pain") to install.
>
>I've studied the MySQL installation instructions, and they don't strike me
>as inherently simpler. Is it only perception, or what can we do better?

For people using RPMs, Postgres is easy. rpm -ivh postgres* (or -Uvh, when
upgrading). Then "/etc/rc.d/init.d/postgres start", or whatever the command
is on your system, and if it's not installed, it installs itself. passwd
postgres to set a password for the account, and you're set. Never done
mysql, cause the rpms back on 5.2 never worked right and fubared by RPM
database. I imagine, when getting the correct rpms (I'm giving them the
benefit of the doubt, even tho I tried a dozen different rpms ;), that
installation has got to be just as simple.

Perhaps installation includes setting up the db, users, etc., after
installing the software? No idea how the two of them compare...

Rob Nelson
rdnelson@co.centre.pa.us