Re: Hints about how to debug pg_dump problem? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Philip Warner
Subject Re: Hints about how to debug pg_dump problem?
Date
List pgsql-general
At 16:29 10/07/00 -0400, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

>For instance, if I have data from table1 which appears in the dump file
>before data from table2, and I'm getting a parse error on table2, shouldn't
>the data from table1 show up (assuming that nothing in it depends on the
>data from table2 being there) after the error?

I would have thought so. I have seen data lost on a reload when the backed
dies. Is this happening? Or is it really just a parse error?

>The read eventually dies with a parse error.  I'm sure there must be
>something wrong in my source database that I'm getting this, but I don't
>even know where to begin tracking down the problem.  I've dumped and re-read
>this database before, but I've added the data that is causing the problem
>since then.  Obviously, that's what the problem is; I just can't see how the
>file is getting read.  Any hints as to where to start would be much
>appreciated.

The simplest thing to do would be to copy the dump file and edit it; break
it into bits that you can run independantly, and see where the error occurs.

P.S. I assume you are using the pg_dump that came with 7.0.2 or earlier.

(A.C.N. 008 659 498)             |          /(@)   ______---_
Http://www.rhyme.com.au          |                /           \|
PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/