Re: Slashdot discussion - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: Slashdot discussion
Date
List pgsql-general
Chris Bitmead wrote:
  >That's a good point too. The INSTALL instructions should probably
  >contain
  >info on how to remove the default redhat or debian postgres
  >installation.

For Debian, at least, this is a standard operation for any package; i.e.,
`dpkg --remove package' or `dpkg --purge package'.  (--purge removes the
configuration files as well.)  dpkg will complain if this would cause any
dependency to be violated.

I'm not sure that there's much use in putting this in the INSTALL; any
Debian user ought to know it any case, and Debian users don't generally
expect to read the upstream install files because they expect the
package maintainer to have handled anything necessary.
PostgreSQL is in the main Debian distribution, so there ought to be no
special issues about its installation or removal.

     "I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto
      me, and heard my cry. He brought me up also out of an
      horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet
      upon a rock, and established my goings. And he hath
      put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God.
      Many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the
      LORD."                 Psalms 40:1-3