Re: Hints about how to debug pg_dump problem? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: Hints about how to debug pg_dump problem?
Date
List pgsql-general
Andrew Sullivan wrote:
  >What I don't understand is the order in which a dump file is processed.  I
  >thought it should be processed pretty much in the order it appears, right?
  >After all, if you do
  >
  >    $ psql -e my_database < my_dumpfile
  >
  >you should just get a straight-ahead reading of the dumpfile, no?  Watching
  >the output, however, things are not getting created even though there are no
  >complaints from psql (about that data).
  >
  >For instance, if I have data from table1 which appears in the dump file
  >before data from table2, and I'm getting a parse error on table2, shouldn't
  >the data from table1 show up (assuming that nothing in it depends on the
  >data from table2 being there) after the error?

If things happen in a transaction, they are thrown away if the transaction
aborts.  Is this your case?

  >The read eventually dies with a parse error.  I'm sure there must be
  >something wrong in my source database that I'm getting this, but I don't
  >even know where to begin tracking down the problem.  I've dumped and re-read
  >this database before, but I've added the data that is causing the problem
  >since then.  Obviously, that's what the problem is; I just can't see how the
  >file is getting read.  Any hints as to where to start would be much
  >appreciated.

What does the parse error say?

     "I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto
      me, and heard my cry. He brought me up also out of an
      horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet
      upon a rock, and established my goings. And he hath
      put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God.
      Many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the
      LORD."                 Psalms 40:1-3