Re: [Help] INSTALLing 7.02 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: [Help] INSTALLing 7.02
Date
List pgsql-general
D Herssein wrote:
  >Hi,
  >    If anyone out there would be so kind as to point out what may be the
  >problem I would appreciate it immensely.
  >(PS - I tried without the --with-CC and got the same error at the same
  >place)
  >
  > ./configure --with-CC=/usr/opt/SUNWmd/sbin/cc
  >checking for gcc... /usr/opt/SUNWmd/sbin/cc
  >checking whether the C compiler (/usr/opt/SUNWmd/sbin/cc  ) works... no
  >configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
  >cannot create executables.

Have you compiled anything on this machine before?  Sun and HP and no doubt
others used to supply a default compiler that could only be used for
building kernels; if you wanted a proper compiler you had to pay extra.

If that is your case, you need to download a binary of gcc for your
machine, or pay for the proper Sun compiler.

     "I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto
      me, and heard my cry. He brought me up also out of an
      horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet
      upon a rock, and established my goings. And he hath
      put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God.
      Many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the
      LORD."                 Psalms 40:1-3