Re: Slashdot discussion - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Slashdot discussion
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 12:24:20AM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Is anyone else noticing this: Everytime this sort of thing comes up a
> number of people invariably tell that they are using MySQL because it's
> easier to install, and that PostgreSQL is difficult ("a pain") to install.

I've noticed that, too, but having installed them both (from source and from
packages), I have to say they're both "a pain" to install, at least as much
as anything is.  Of course they are.  They're complicated, and they're set
up to be flexible in installation on many machines.

It occurs to me, though, that many people may not install from source.
Maybe the RPMs are better for MySQL?  I don't use 'em, so I don't know.

Andrew Sullivan                                      Computer Services
<sullivana@bpl.on.ca>                        Burlington Public Library
+1 905 639 3611 x158                                   2331 New Street
                                   Burlington, Ontario, Canada L7R 1J4