Release, 3rd draft

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

Please take a look at the current draft, (both in docs and in CVS).  I've
made a few changes:

1) Added a summary paragraph per Lance's suggestion.  I merged it with the
1st paragraph and re-wrote the 2nd so that it flows.

2) Lance, I still need a title for you.  What are you, R&D director?  What?

3) I replaced the "these are the features" sentences with sub-headers.
Those sentences seemed redundant with the summary para.

4) After some reflection, I cut the stuff with OSDL.  It's too much.   We
mention 8-way and 16-way machines up above.  If we really want the OSDL
stuff, then I'd say cut Merlin's quote and get one from Mark Wong.

Comments?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Release, 3rd draft

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 12:01:40PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Please take a look at the current draft, (both in docs and in CVS).  I've
> made a few changes:
>
> 1) Added a summary paragraph per Lance's suggestion.  I merged it with the
> 1st paragraph and re-wrote the 2nd so that it flows.
>
> 2) Lance, I still need a title for you.  What are you, R&D director?  What?

His title is Director of Products.

> 3) I replaced the "these are the features" sentences with sub-headers.
> Those sentences seemed redundant with the summary para.
>
> 4) After some reflection, I cut the stuff with OSDL.  It's too much.   We
> mention 8-way and 16-way machines up above.  If we really want the OSDL
> stuff, then I'd say cut Merlin's quote and get one from Mark Wong.
>
> Comments?
>
> --
> --Josh
>
> Josh Berkus
> Aglio Database Solutions
> San Francisco

Re: Release, 3rd draft

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
1st para:

If we're going to go with 2pc, it should be 2PC IMO. But I think it
would be better to spell it out (two-phase ocmmit).

New Advanced Features, para 2:
s#INOUT#IN/OUT#

The table partitioning section is a bit misleading in that it doesn't
actually help with large tables, it just makes partitioning a bit more
effective.

On the BSD/GPL horse, what about...

PostgreSQL is distributed under a BSD license, which unlike GPL licensed
software, allows use and distribution without fees for both commercial
and non-commercial applications.

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 12:01:40PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Please take a look at the current draft, (both in docs and in CVS).  I've
> made a few changes:
>
> 1) Added a summary paragraph per Lance's suggestion.  I merged it with the
> 1st paragraph and re-wrote the 2nd so that it flows.
>
> 2) Lance, I still need a title for you.  What are you, R&D director?  What?
>
> 3) I replaced the "these are the features" sentences with sub-headers.
> Those sentences seemed redundant with the summary para.
>
> 4) After some reflection, I cut the stuff with OSDL.  It's too much.   We
> mention 8-way and 16-way machines up above.  If we really want the OSDL
> stuff, then I'd say cut Merlin's quote and get one from Mark Wong.
>
> Comments?
>
> --
> --Josh
>
> Josh Berkus
> Aglio Database Solutions
> San Francisco

Re: Release, 3rd draft

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

5) I've just checked our download stats.  So far, we've only had about
11,000 beta downloads.   If there's no accelleration, that could mean
about 20,000 downloads at the time of release. So, question, is 20,000
beta downloads impressive at all?  Or does this make it a bad quote?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Release, 3rd draft

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
I'd try and focus more on # of beta testers, not # of downloads ... how
many "unique visitors" have downloaded the beta copy?  "Over 1000 beta
testers ..." is more impressive, I think, then "20k downloads of the beta"

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Folks,
>
> 5) I've just checked our download stats.  So far, we've only had about
> 11,000 beta downloads.   If there's no accelleration, that could mean
> about 20,000 downloads at the time of release. So, question, is 20,000
> beta downloads impressive at all?  Or does this make it a bad quote?
>
> --
> --Josh
>
> Josh Berkus
> Aglio Database Solutions
> San Francisco

----

Re: Release, 3rd draft

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Jim,

> If we're going to go with 2pc, it should be 2PC IMO. But I think it
> would be better to spell it out (two-phase ocmmit).

Oh, right, missed that.

> New Advanced Features, para 2:
> s#INOUT#IN/OUT#

Really?  I thought the technical term for the 3 types of params were IN,
OUT, and INOUT.

> The table partitioning section is a bit misleading in that it doesn't
> actually help with large tables, it just makes partitioning a bit more
> effective.

Suggested replacement language?

> On the BSD/GPL horse, what about...
>
> PostgreSQL is distributed under a BSD license, which unlike GPL licensed
> software, allows use and distribution without fees for both commercial
> and non-commercial applications.

I am *NOT* picking a fight with the FSF.   Also, many people (myself
included) do not agree with MySQL's draconian interpretation of the GPL.

This would get us headlines, all right, but the wrong kind.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Release, 3rd draft

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
How does it compare to 8.0?

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 12:42:03PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> 5) I've just checked our download stats.  So far, we've only had about
> 11,000 beta downloads.   If there's no accelleration, that could mean
> about 20,000 downloads at the time of release. So, question, is 20,000
> beta downloads impressive at all?  Or does this make it a bad quote?
>
> --
> --Josh
>
> Josh Berkus
> Aglio Database Solutions
> San Francisco

Re: Release, 3rd draft

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Jim, Marc,

> How does it compare to 8.0?

Badly.  8.0 had a 6-month beta and was our first Windows version, so there
were over 200,000 downloads of the beta ... 80% Windows.

> I'd try and focus more on # of beta testers, not # of downloads ... how
> many "unique visitors" have downloaded the beta copy?  "Over 1000 beta
> testers ..." is more impressive, I think, then "20k downloads of the
> beta" ...

Unfortunately, we don't seem to be collecting that information ... so I
have no way of discerning "unique visitors".

--Josh

--
__Aglio Database Solutions_______________
Josh Berkus               Consultant

Re: Release, 3rd draft

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
Whatever number is chosen, note that the MySQL people quoted 2 million
downloads of their beta (ref:
http://www.mysql.com/news-and-events/news/article_959.html). Granted
they've been in beta significantly longer, and have had more beta
releases than us, but for someone comparing the press releases... Might
definitly be good to pick different wording so it can't be directly
compared.

//Magnus

> I'd try and focus more on # of beta testers, not # of
> downloads ... how many "unique visitors" have downloaded the
> beta copy?  "Over 1000 beta testers ..." is more impressive,
> I think, then "20k downloads of the beta"
>
> On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> > Folks,
> >
> > 5) I've just checked our download stats.  So far, we've
> only had about
> > 11,000 beta downloads.   If there's no accelleration, that
> could mean
> > about 20,000 downloads at the time of release. So,
> question, is 20,000
> > beta downloads impressive at all?  Or does this make it a bad quote?
> >
> > --
> > --Josh
> >
> > Josh Berkus
> > Aglio Database Solutions
> > San Francisco

> >               http://archives.postgresql.org
> >

> ----
> Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services
> (http://www.hub.org)
> Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy
>  ICQ: 7615664

Re: Release, 3rd draft

From
"Lance Obermeyer"
Date:
That's not a very impressive number.  I'm concerned that it will compare poorly against MySQL.  That fact that MySQL 5
stinksand has needed such a long beta is beside the point.

We could just delete the "Given that 8.1 has already had x downloads of the beta" statement.  We could also appeal to
anindustry trend instead of an 8.1 beta metric.  Something like "Given the acceleration around all things open source,
I'mexpecting..."

Date:
On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 12:45:05PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Jim,
>
> > If we're going to go with 2pc, it should be 2PC IMO. But I think it
> > would be better to spell it out (two-phase ocmmit).
>
> Oh, right, missed that.
>
> > New Advanced Features, para 2:
> > s#INOUT#IN/OUT#
>
> Really?  I thought the technical term for the 3 types of params were IN,
> OUT, and INOUT.

Well, it's inconsistent with the usage in the first paragraph (IN/OUT).
And usually when I see a reference to the *concept* (which is what I'd
say the PR is), it's usually called IN/OUT as an umbrella term for
IN/OUT/INOUT.

> > The table partitioning section is a bit misleading in that it doesn't
> > actually help with large tables, it just makes partitioning a bit more
> > effective.
>
> Suggested replacement language?

Got a meeting so this is just a quick hack...

...the query planner is now able to entirely avoid scanning tables that
it knows will not have any data to satisfy a query. This feature, called
Constraint Elimination, utilizes constraints placed on tables to decide
if they have any valid data for a given query. This is the foundation
upon which table partitioning can be built.

> > On the BSD/GPL horse, what about...
> >
> > PostgreSQL is distributed under a BSD license, which unlike GPL licensed
> > software, allows use and distribution without fees for both commercial
> > and non-commercial applications.
>
> I am *NOT* picking a fight with the FSF.   Also, many people (myself
> included) do not agree with MySQL's draconian interpretation of the GPL.
>
> This would get us headlines, all right, but the wrong kind.

Is there such a thing? :)

In any case, I definately think we need to raise awareness of the
licensing issue.

Re: Release, 3rd draft

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

>>On the BSD/GPL horse, what about...
>>
>>PostgreSQL is distributed under a BSD license, which unlike GPL licensed
>>software, allows use and distribution without fees for both commercial
>>and non-commercial applications.
>

> I am *NOT* picking a fight with the FSF.   Also, many people (myself
> included) do not agree with MySQL's draconian interpretation of the GPL.
>
> This would get us headlines, all right, but the wrong kind.

I agree with that as well. The GPL does not prohibit commercial
distribution. It does prohibity proprietary/closed source distribution.

Commercial: Of or relationg to commerce.

The GPL does not prevent that in any way. I have actually had our
attorney review the MySQL terms, and he says there a crock.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Release, 3rd draft

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Whatever number is chosen, note that the MySQL people quoted 2 million
> downloads of their beta (ref:
> http://www.mysql.com/news-and-events/news/article_959.html). Granted
> they've been in beta significantly longer, and have had more beta
> releases than us, but for someone comparing the press releases... Might
> definitly be good to pick different wording so it can't be directly
> compared.
>
> //Magnus

I would say ignore the number of beta downloads and focus on the number
of community members assisting.

A good example would be the Distributed build and testing environment
that we use (pgBuildFarm).

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Release, 3rd draft

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Jim, Josh, Lance:

> I would say ignore the number of beta downloads and focus on the number
> of community members assisting.

What's the number of unique posters to pgsql-bugs and pgsql-hackers since
beta started?   Can anyone get me that number?

> Well, it's inconsistent with the usage in the first paragraph (IN/OUT).
> And usually when I see a reference to the *concept* (which is what I'd
> say the PR is), it's usually called IN/OUT as an umbrella term for
> IN/OUT/INOUT.

OK.

> ...the query planner is now able to entirely avoid scanning tables that
> it knows will not have any data to satisfy a query. This feature, called
> Constraint Elimination, utilizes constraints placed on tables to decide
> if they have any valid data for a given query. This is the foundation
> upon which table partitioning can be built.

Too technical.  And we don't want to imply that we *don't* have table
partitioning; we have it as much as MySQL or Ingres has.   Basically this
blurb is a careful balance between saying "We have Table Partitioning!"
and overhyping the feature.

> In any case, I definately think we need to raise awareness of the
> licensing issue.

Can you draft a short (4-6 line) paragraph for inclusion in the web-based
presskit (NOT the release)?   WITHOUT saying anything bad about the GPL?

--Josh

--
__Aglio Database Solutions_______________
Josh Berkus               Consultant
josh@agliodbs.com     www.agliodbs.com
Ph: 415-752-2500    Fax: 415-752-2387
2166 Hayes Suite 200    San Francisco, CA

Re: Release, 3rd draft

From
"Lance Obermeyer"
Date:
The press release for 8.1 *not* the time to argue BSD vs. GPL.  We have two good pieces of news to report (adoption and
features). Let the reporters focus on those two items.

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Jim, Josh, Lance:
>

>>I would say ignore the number of beta downloads and focus on the number
>>of community members assisting.
>

> What's the number of unique posters to pgsql-bugs and pgsql-hackers since
> beta started?   Can anyone get me that number?

In Sept-05 there were: 1466 posts to hackers I have no idea how many of
those were unique posters.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

License blurb (was: Release, 3rd draft)

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 01:13:37PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Can you draft a short (4-6 line) paragraph for inclusion in the web-based
> presskit (NOT the release)?   WITHOUT saying anything bad about the GPL?

How about...

Many open-source licenses place serious restrictions on commercial use
of software. These licenses are often "viral" in nature, requiring that
any software built using the licensed software must use the same
open-source license. This means any product built using that open-source
software must be made open-source itself. PostgreSQL uses the <a
href='..'>BSD license</a>, which only requires that the licensed source
code maintain it's copywrite and licensing information. Other than
that, you are free to do whatever you want with the code, including
re-distribute it commercially.

Other ideas welcome.

Re: Release, 3rd draft

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 01:51:31PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
> >Jim, Josh, Lance:
> >

> >>I would say ignore the number of beta downloads and focus on the number
> >>of community members assisting.
> >

> >What's the number of unique posters to pgsql-bugs and pgsql-hackers since
> >beta started?   Can anyone get me that number?
> >

> In Sept-05 there were: 1466 posts to hackers I have no idea how many of
> those were unique posters.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake

I think others are right; we're not going to be able to make the beta
numbers look good and should just drop the mention of it.

TBH, I'm actually wondering if we'll hit the same numbers we did with
8.0. Windows support was a huge feature, and I suspect it drove a lot of
those downloads are windows...

Hmm, looking at
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-advocacy/2005-09/msg00057.php,
there were 700,000 windows downloads out of 1M, meaning 300k non-windows
downloads, which is exactly the number we had for 'the previous version'
(whichever version that is). So based on that, *all* our growth has been
on windows.

Are we really 2x more popular on windows than on *nix?

I'm really thinking we need a trivially easy way for users to register
that they've started using version xyz of the database. I think we're
barely better than making WAGs here.

Re: License blurb (was: Release, 3rd draft)

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Jim,

> Many open-source licenses place serious restrictions on commercial use
> of software. These licenses are often "viral" in nature, requiring that
> any software built using the licensed software must use the same
> open-source license. This means any product built using that open-source
> software must be made open-source itself. PostgreSQL uses the <a
> href='..'>BSD license</a>, which only requires that the licensed source
> code maintain it's copywrite and licensing information. Other than
> that, you are free to do whatever you want with the code, including
> re-distribute it commercially.

Too negative.   We want to emphasize the positives of *our* license while not
criticizing other people's.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Date:
> Too negative.   We want to emphasize the positives of *our* license while not
> criticizing other people's.

PostgreSQL uses the <a> href='..'>BSD license</a>, which only requires
that the licensed source code maintain it's copyright and licensing
information. This provides for a very flexible and business friendly
licensing model.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 02:18:13PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Jim,
>
> > Many open-source licenses place serious restrictions on commercial use
> > of software. These licenses are often "viral" in nature, requiring that
> > any software built using the licensed software must use the same
> > open-source license. This means any product built using that open-source
> > software must be made open-source itself. PostgreSQL uses the <a
> > href='..'>BSD license</a>, which only requires that the licensed source
> > code maintain it's copywrite and licensing information. Other than
> > that, you are free to do whatever you want with the code, including
> > re-distribute it commercially.
>
> Too negative.   We want to emphasize the positives of *our* license while not
> criticizing other people's.

One issue is that many people seem to equate the two, so I think it's
going to be difficult/impossible to not have some negative verbage about
other licenses. But, I'll give it a shot...

PostgreSQL uses the BSD license. Unlike many other open-source licenses,
code licensed under a BSD license is completely free for any use,
commercial or not. The only requirement is that the licensed code must
always maintain it's license and copyright information.

Maybe also a sentence about checking with legal before deciding on a
product (since that will always be a win for us), but I can't think of a
way to word it. The idea is to get people to actually look into both
licenses instead of believing the word on the street. It's tempting to
just say "compare our 1/4 page license to the multi-page licenses you'll
find elsewhere". :P

Re: License blurb (was: Release, 3rd draft)

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

> > Too negative.   We want to emphasize the positives of *our* license while not
> > criticizing other people's.
>
> One issue is that many people seem to equate the two, so I think it's
> going to be difficult/impossible to not have some negative verbage about
> other licenses. But, I'll give it a shot...

See my last post. It isn't that hard. You just completely ignore the
fact that the GPL even exists or any other license for that matter.

There is only one open source license for this PR and that is the BSD
license. We don't even have to mention the others.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 02:58:56PM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> > > Too negative.   We want to emphasize the positives of *our* license while not
> > > criticizing other people's.
> >
> > One issue is that many people seem to equate the two, so I think it's
> > going to be difficult/impossible to not have some negative verbage about
> > other licenses. But, I'll give it a shot...
>
> See my last post. It isn't that hard. You just completely ignore the
> fact that the GPL even exists or any other license for that matter.
>
> There is only one open source license for this PR and that is the BSD
> license. We don't even have to mention the others.

Well, the original request was for something to go on the website and
specifically not in the PR. As such, the effect I want is for people to
actively investigate what the different licensing schemes mean, and to
ensure people understand that we're very different from the GPL (and
understand what restrictions other licenses have for those not aware).
That's why I think it's important to mention other licenses.

I do think your blurb would be great for the PR though.

Re: License blurb (was: Release, 3rd draft)

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Monday 03 October 2005 17:58, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > > Too negative.   We want to emphasize the positives of *our* license
> > > while not criticizing other people's.
> >
> > One issue is that many people seem to equate the two, so I think it's
> > going to be difficult/impossible to not have some negative verbage about
> > other licenses. But, I'll give it a shot...
>
> See my last post. It isn't that hard. You just completely ignore the
> fact that the GPL even exists or any other license for that matter.
>
> There is only one open source license for this PR and that is the BSD
> license. We don't even have to mention the others.

Agreed.  I happen to use a lot of GPL software, and don't feel the need to
beat up on it.

"PostgreSQL is licensed under the business friendly BSD license, meaning it is
safe for use in both commercial products and open source projects, without
the worry of additional license fees."

--
Robert Treat

Re: Release, 3rd draft

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Jim, Josh, Lance:
>
>> I would say ignore the number of beta downloads and focus on the number
>> of community members assisting.
>
> What's the number of unique posters to pgsql-bugs and pgsql-hackers since
> beta started?   Can anyone get me that number?

Very approx:

# grep ^From: pgsql-bugs.2005[01][890] | awk -F: '{print $3}' | sort -u | wc -l
      218
# grep ^From: pgsql-hackers.2005[01][890] | awk -F: '{print $3}' | sort -u | wc -l
      272

----

Re: Release, 3rd draft

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

> # grep ^From: pgsql-bugs.2005[01][890] | awk -F: '{print $3}' | sort -u
> | wc -l 218
> # grep ^From: pgsql-hackers.2005[01][890] | awk -F: '{print $3}' | sort
> -u | wc -l 272

Well, that's no good either.  Do we give up on the whole download counts
thing, or state the numbers in some other way (i.e. "15,000 downloads per
month")?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Release, 3rd draft

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Tue, 4 Oct 2005, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Folks,
>
>> # grep ^From: pgsql-bugs.2005[01][890] | awk -F: '{print $3}' | sort -u
>> | wc -l 218
>> # grep ^From: pgsql-hackers.2005[01][890] | awk -F: '{print $3}' | sort
>> -u | wc -l 272
>
> Well, that's no good either.  Do we give up on the whole download counts
> thing, or state the numbers in some other way (i.e. "15,000 downloads per
> month")?

Nothing we are going to come up with is going to be as "impressive" as
MySQLs numbers, if that is what you are striving for here :(  Personally,
I don't think that, in light of the fact that their 5.0 has been beta for
*eons* now, that their numbers are that impressive, but one has to put it
into perspective to arrive at that (5.0 has been beta for *how* long now,
over a year?) ...

Based on them being at version 5.0.13, according to FreeBSD ports, and I
believe, still beta ... that is 13 beta releases *so far* to our usual,
what, 4?

Didn't someone mention something like 2 000 000 beta downloads for 5.0?
If so, that an avg of 153k per beta ... with that many testers, is their
code *that* bad that they can't find all the bugs quicker then that?

----

Re: Release, 3rd draft

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

> Didn't someone mention something like 2 000 000 beta downloads for 5.0?
> If so, that an avg of 153k per beta ... with that many testers, is their
> code *that* bad that they can't find all the bugs quicker then that?

I don't think we should compare ourselves to the MySQL metric. It
doesn't do us any good. The reality is, MySQL is more popular. There
isn't any arguing that.

Just because it is more popular doesn't make it better and if we try to
compete on their metrics we are going to loose.

We have to compete on our metrics...

PostgreSQL is the most advanced Open Source Database with enterprise
features that serious database developers demand, such as two-phase
commit, point in time recovery and tablespaces. Other popular (have to
have this caveat because of Ingres) Open Source Databases don't even
come close.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Release, 3rd draft

From
"Michael Paesold"
Date:
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Didn't someone mention something like 2 000 000 beta downloads for 5.0? If
> so, that an avg of 153k per beta ... with that many testers, is their code
> *that* bad that they can't find all the bugs quicker then that?

Their release model is quite different, there is no such thing as a feature
freeze until about beta 10. Until about beta 5 most features that should be
in the final product are still missing. After beta, there are gamma relases,
which rather matche our betas. MySQL beta software is so successul because
those are the only releases having some of the required features. And using
the current stable version would mean that your software will be completly
incompatible to the next release (see e.g. their changes to the TIMESTAMP
type from 4 to 4.1).

;-))

Although there is *some* truth in all this rant.

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold

Re: Release, 3rd draft

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Tue, 4 Oct 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> Didn't someone mention something like 2 000 000 beta downloads for 5.0?
>> If so, that an avg of 153k per beta ... with that many testers, is their
>> code *that* bad that they can't find all the bugs quicker then that?
>
> I don't think we should compare ourselves to the MySQL metric. It
> doesn't do us any good. The reality is, MySQL is more popular. There
> isn't any arguing that.
>
> Just because it is more popular doesn't make it better and if we try to
> compete on their metrics we are going to loose.

Sorry, hadn't worded my response to Josh particularly well ... I wasn't
suggesting that we should be doing such a comparison, *especially* not in
our press release :)

Was just trying to point out that # of beta downloads, or testers, really
doesn't mean anything, especially if there are so many bugs that it takes
>1year to get a product released ...

----

Re: Release, 3rd draft

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 08:41:53PM +0200, Michael Paesold wrote:
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>
> >Didn't someone mention something like 2 000 000 beta downloads for 5.0? If
> >so, that an avg of 153k per beta ... with that many testers, is their code
> >*that* bad that they can't find all the bugs quicker then that?
>
> Their release model is quite different, there is no such thing as a feature
> freeze until about beta 10. Until about beta 5 most features that should be
> in the final product are still missing. After beta, there are gamma
> relases, which rather matche our betas.

Hmm, maybe we should include anonymous CVS checkouts and updates then.
I could give the number of CVS checkouts I did to my private CVSup
mirror; if all CVSup users do the same, we could come up with a
reasonably comparable number to MySQL beta downloads.  Or not.

--
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.PlanetPostgreSQL.org
"Estoy de acuerdo contigo en que la verdad absoluta no existe...

Re: Release, 3rd draft

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 11:46:05AM -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> > Didn't someone mention something like 2 000 000 beta downloads for 5.0?
> > If so, that an avg of 153k per beta ... with that many testers, is their
> > code *that* bad that they can't find all the bugs quicker then that?
>
> I don't think we should compare ourselves to the MySQL metric. It
> doesn't do us any good. The reality is, MySQL is more popular. There
> isn't any arguing that.
>
> Just because it is more popular doesn't make it better and if we try to
> compete on their metrics we are going to loose.
>
> We have to compete on our metrics...
>
> PostgreSQL is the most advanced Open Source Database with enterprise
> features that serious database developers demand, such as two-phase
> commit, point in time recovery and tablespaces. Other popular (have to
> have this caveat because of Ingres) Open Source Databases don't even
> come close.

You forgot to mention that we read and write to disk, instead of
/dev/random and /dev/null. ;P

Re: Release, 3rd draft

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

> > I don't think we should compare ourselves to the MySQL metric. It
> > doesn't do us any good. The reality is, MySQL is more popular. There
> > isn't any arguing that.

Right.  However, this removes the whole thrust of the Lance quote.   Does
anyone have a suggestion on what to do with the PR instead?

--Josh

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Release, 3rd draft

From
"Lance Obermeyer"
Date:
I don't agree.  We have a great thing to say about 8.0 adoption.  We've crossed the million downloads barrier and we
needto ring the bell.  A million is an absolute number that doesn't need to be compared.

Where we are on thin ice is the 8.1 beta.  We shouldn't compare our 20k against their 2000k.  If we go with the
industrytrend suggestion I made yesterday (or something equivalent), we'll be fine.

> > I don't think we should compare ourselves to the MySQL metric. It
> > doesn't do us any good. The reality is, MySQL is more popular. There
> > isn't any arguing that.

Right.  However, this removes the whole thrust of the Lance quote.   Does
anyone have a suggestion on what to do with the PR instead?

--Josh

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Release, 3rd draft

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 03:00:49PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Folks,
>
> > > I don't think we should compare ourselves to the MySQL metric. It
> > > doesn't do us any good. The reality is, MySQL is more popular. There
> > > isn't any arguing that.
>
> Right.  However, this removes the whole thrust of the Lance quote.   Does
> anyone have a suggestion on what to do with the PR instead?

Well, it only removes part of it; that about our current beta. The last
version clearly showed a trend of increased downloads over the version
before that. Though I agree that the quote loses some of it's effect.

Re: Release, 3rd draft

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Jim C. Nasby wrote:

>On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 03:00:49PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>

>>Folks,

>>Right.  However, this removes the whole thrust of the Lance quote.   Does
>>anyone have a suggestion on what to do with the PR instead?
>>

>Well, it only removes part of it; that about our current beta. The last
>version clearly showed a trend of increased downloads over the version
>before that. Though I agree that the quote loses some of it's effect.

Why not mix it in with the previous numbers from 8.x...

The 8 series continues it incredible growth as we release 8.1 with over
X number of downloads etc....

Re: Release, 3rd draft

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Lance,

> Where we are on thin ice is the 8.1 beta.  We shouldn't compare our 20k
> against their 2000k.  If we go with the industry trend suggestion I made
> yesterday (or something equivalent), we'll be fine.

Well, since it's your quote, want to say something?

Also, we could just not mention the number ... although then reporters are
liable to ask.

--Josh

--
__Aglio Database Solutions_______________
Josh Berkus               Consultant
josh@agliodbs.com     www.agliodbs.com
Ph: 415-752-2500    Fax: 415-752-2387
2166 Hayes Suite 200    San Francisco, CA

Re: Release, 3rd draft

From
"Lance Obermeyer"
Date:
"The project is clearly accelerating in the minds of database users," said Lance Obermeyer, Director of Products at
PervasiveSoftware, one of PostgreSQL's corporate sponsors.
"Given the growing interest in open source infrastructure software, we're expecting PostgreSQL to pick up even more
steam."

> Where we are on thin ice is the 8.1 beta.  We shouldn't compare our 20k
> against their 2000k.  If we go with the industry trend suggestion I made
> yesterday (or something equivalent), we'll be fine.

Well, since it's your quote, want to say something?

Also, we could just not mention the number ... although then reporters are
liable to ask.

--Josh

--
__Aglio Database Solutions_______________
Josh Berkus               Consultant
josh@agliodbs.com     www.agliodbs.com
Ph: 415-752-2500    Fax: 415-752-2387
2166 Hayes Suite 200    San Francisco, CA

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: Release, 3rd draft

From
"Lance Obermeyer"
Date:
I'm wondering about the second paragraph, which is

These features will continue the adoption trend established by
PostgreSQL 8.0. Designed, built and tested by a large and thriving
community and backed by a growing number of corporate sponsors and support
companies, PostgreSQL enjoys growing user interest. Version 8.0 has been downloaded
1 million times in its first 7 months.  This compares with about 300,000
over a similar period for the prior release.

ISTM that the second sentence in the paragraph is misplaced.  It is certainly true that PG is the work of a community,
andthat should be said.  However, it is stuck in between two sentences about adoption.  Perhaps the sentence should be
movedinto the first paragraph?

Re: Release, 3rd draft

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Lance,

> ISTM that the second sentence in the paragraph is misplaced.  It is certainly true that PG is the work of a
community,and that should be said.  However, it is stuck in between two sentences about adoption.  Perhaps the sentence
shouldbe moved into the first paragraph?

I'll give it a try, see how it looks.

Thanks for new quote.

--Josh

Re: Release, 3rd draft

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> Would it make sense to have a couple of the community popular make
> quotes? I am not trying to take away from Pervasive here, just thinking
> that if we had Green Plum, Pervasive and Command Prompt all mentioning
> a 1-2 sentence blurb about their particular markets with PostgreSQL it
> may lend weight.

This is a press release, not a feature story.   I'm working on somewhere
on the PressKit page to put a list of support companies.

--Josh

Re: Release, 3rd draft

From
"Joshua D. Drake"