Re: Release, 3rd draft - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Michael Paesold
Subject Re: Release, 3rd draft
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> Didn't someone mention something like 2 000 000 beta downloads for 5.0? If
> so, that an avg of 153k per beta ... with that many testers, is their code
> *that* bad that they can't find all the bugs quicker then that?

Their release model is quite different, there is no such thing as a feature
freeze until about beta 10. Until about beta 5 most features that should be
in the final product are still missing. After beta, there are gamma relases,
which rather matche our betas. MySQL beta software is so successul because
those are the only releases having some of the required features. And using
the current stable version would mean that your software will be completly
incompatible to the next release (see e.g. their changes to the TIMESTAMP
type from 4 to 4.1).

;-))

Although there is *some* truth in all this rant.

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold