Re: Release, 3rd draft - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Release, 3rd draft
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 08:41:53PM +0200, Michael Paesold wrote:
> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>
> >Didn't someone mention something like 2 000 000 beta downloads for 5.0? If
> >so, that an avg of 153k per beta ... with that many testers, is their code
> >*that* bad that they can't find all the bugs quicker then that?
>
> Their release model is quite different, there is no such thing as a feature
> freeze until about beta 10. Until about beta 5 most features that should be
> in the final product are still missing. After beta, there are gamma
> relases, which rather matche our betas.

Hmm, maybe we should include anonymous CVS checkouts and updates then.
I could give the number of CVS checkouts I did to my private CVSup
mirror; if all CVSup users do the same, we could come up with a
reasonably comparable number to MySQL beta downloads.  Or not.

--
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.PlanetPostgreSQL.org
"Estoy de acuerdo contigo en que la verdad absoluta no existe...