Re: Release, 3rd draft - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Release, 3rd draft
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, 4 Oct 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> Didn't someone mention something like 2 000 000 beta downloads for 5.0?
>> If so, that an avg of 153k per beta ... with that many testers, is their
>> code *that* bad that they can't find all the bugs quicker then that?
>
> I don't think we should compare ourselves to the MySQL metric. It
> doesn't do us any good. The reality is, MySQL is more popular. There
> isn't any arguing that.
>
> Just because it is more popular doesn't make it better and if we try to
> compete on their metrics we are going to loose.

Sorry, hadn't worded my response to Josh particularly well ... I wasn't
suggesting that we should be doing such a comparison, *especially* not in
our press release :)

Was just trying to point out that # of beta downloads, or testers, really
doesn't mean anything, especially if there are so many bugs that it takes

----