Re: Release, 3rd draft - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Lance Obermeyer
Subject Re: Release, 3rd draft
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
The press release for 8.1 *not* the time to argue BSD vs. GPL.  We have two good pieces of news to report (adoption and
features). Let the reporters focus on those two items.

-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua D. Drake [mailto:jd@commandprompt.com]
Sent: Monday, October 03, 2005 3:10 PM
To: josh@agliodbs.com
Cc: pgsql-advocacy@postgresql.org; Jim Nasby
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Release, 3rd draft

>>On the BSD/GPL horse, what about...
>>
>>PostgreSQL is distributed under a BSD license, which unlike GPL licensed
>>software, allows use and distribution without fees for both commercial
>>and non-commercial applications.
>

> I am *NOT* picking a fight with the FSF.   Also, many people (myself
> included) do not agree with MySQL's draconian interpretation of the GPL.
>
> This would get us headlines, all right, but the wrong kind.

I agree with that as well. The GPL does not prohibit commercial
distribution. It does prohibity proprietary/closed source distribution.

Commercial: Of or relationg to commerce.

The GPL does not prevent that in any way. I have actually had our
attorney review the MySQL terms, and he says there a crock.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake