[Fwd: [pgsql-www] Finishing the Portal]

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Hi guys,

Looks like we need someone, or some people, to finish off the PostgreSQL
portal site:

http://wwwdevel.postgresql.org

Ewald, I strongly suspect you'd be interested in this.  Robert, is this
your kind of thing too?

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [pgsql-www] Finishing the Portal
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 12:25:37 -0000
From: "Dave Page" <dpage@vale-housing.co.uk>

Hi All,

Due to work & uni commitments I'm not at all sure when I'm likely to be
able to find the time to finish off the last bit of the portal. The
outstanding bits afaicr are:

- Balance the look of sub pages such as mirror selectors by adding the
missing left hand bar.

- Add mirror selectors for pages where appropriate.

The plan was then to pass it to Justin for multilanguage support.

Can anyone else finish off these last bits so it doesn't remain
unfinished forever?

Thanks, Dave.

Re: [Fwd: [pgsql-www] Finishing the Portal]

From
Ewald Geschwinde
One question:
Is this based on some portaling system?
Ewald

Justin Clift schrieb:

>Hi guys,
>
>Looks like we need someone, or some people, to finish off the PostgreSQL
>portal site:
>
>http://wwwdevel.postgresql.org
>
>Ewald, I strongly suspect you'd be interested in this.  Robert, is this
>your kind of thing too?
>
>:-)
>
>Regards and best wishes,
>
>Justin Clift

Date:
No, it's proper old fashioned hand written code :-)

Expect to find bugs...

Regards, Dave.

very good :-)

I will help as much as I can.

Who can provide me with detailed information about this.

I think there is a database behind :-)
Data structure and so on..

regards Ewald

Dave Page schrieb:
No, it's proper old fashioned hand written code :-)

Expect to find bugs...

Regards, Dave.

Due to work & uni commitments I'm not at all sure when I'm
likely to be
able to find the time to finish off the last bit of the portal. The
outstanding bits afaicr are:

- Balance the look of sub pages such as mirror selectors by
adding the
missing left hand bar.

- Add mirror selectors for pages where appropriate.

The plan was then to pass it to Justin for multilanguage support.

Can anyone else finish off these last bits so it doesn't remain
unfinished forever?

Thanks, Dave.

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: [Fwd: [pgsql-www] Finishing the Portal]

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Hi Ewald,

Well, first things first, you need a user account on the server that the
code is on.

Do you have a preferred username?

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Ewald Geschwinde wrote:

> very good :-)

I will help as much as I can.

Who can provide me with detailed information about this.

I think there is a database behind :-)
Data structure and so on..

regards Ewald

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: [Fwd: [pgsql-www] Finishing the Portal]

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
You should find all that you need in /usr/local/www/www on the Jobs VM (iirc), including the SQL. The is a bit of pl/pgsql code in there for the surveys that isn't in the database because we don't have pl/pgsql installed at the moment.

It's purposely been kept quite simple.

Regards, Dave.

Due to work & uni commitments I'm not at all sure when I'm
likely to be
able to find the time to finish off the last bit of the portal. The
outstanding bits afaicr are:

- Balance the look of sub pages such as mirror selectors by
adding the
missing left hand bar.

- Add mirror selectors for pages where appropriate.

The plan was then to pass it to Justin for multilanguage support.

Can anyone else finish off these last bits so it doesn't remain
unfinished forever?

Thanks, Dave.

TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: [Fwd: [pgsql-www] Finishing the Portal]

From
Robert Treat
Date:
Well, I think this needs to be a pretty high priority thing imo so I'm
definitely willing to help out. I'd suggest we open a project on gborg
(unless we're comfortable using sourceforge) and allow everyone to work
on the code from there, unless we have some other facilities set up
already.

Robert Treat

On Mon, 2002-11-11 at 08:21, Justin Clift wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Looks like we need someone, or some people, to finish off the PostgreSQL
> portal site:
>
> http://wwwdevel.postgresql.org
>
> Ewald, I strongly suspect you'd be interested in this.  Robert, is this
> your kind of thing too?
>
> :-)
>
> Regards and best wishes,
>
> Justin Clift

Date:
I think there should be a general ban on using sourceforge for PG
*project* stuff unless there's a really good reason - we do have Gborg
(and it's developer - hi Chris - after all)!

I think that's only one step away from using MySQL for the website! :-)

Regards, Dave.

Date:
Robert Treat wrote:

> Well, I think this needs to be a pretty high priority thing imo so I'm
> definitely willing to help out. I'd suggest we open a project on gborg
> (unless we're comfortable using sourceforge) and allow everyone to work
> on the code from there, unless we have some other facilities set up
> already.

Cool.  Using GBorg to share and work on the code sounds like a good
idea.  We just *need* to ensure that the passwords aren't accidentally
uploaded there.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Robert Treat

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: [Fwd: [pgsql-www] Finishing the Portal]

From
Vince Vielhaber
Date:
On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Justin Clift wrote:

> Robert Treat wrote:
> >
> > Well, I think this needs to be a pretty high priority thing imo so I'm
> > definitely willing to help out. I'd suggest we open a project on gborg
> > (unless we're comfortable using sourceforge) and allow everyone to work
> > on the code from there, unless we have some other facilities set up
> > already.
>
> Cool.  Using GBorg to share and work on the code sounds like a good
> idea.  We just *need* to ensure that the passwords aren't accidentally
> uploaded there.

Turning the portal into a gborg project is overkill.  As Dave pointed
out there's not much left to be done, just finish it and get it over
with.  It's taken long enough already, turning it into some huge project
will only stretch it out even longer.

Vince.
--
   http://www.meanstreamradio.com       http://www.unknown-artists.com
         Internet radio: It's not file sharing, it's just radio.

Re: [Fwd: [pgsql-www] Finishing the Portal]

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Vince Vielhaber wrote:
<snip>
> Turning the portal into a gborg project is overkill.  As Dave pointed
> out there's not much left to be done, just finish it and get it over
> with.  It's taken long enough already, turning it into some huge project
> will only stretch it out even longer.

As a *huge* project, you're right, it would.  It's really just a few
files.

However, if they feel it's worth doing as GBorg project, then my feeling
is "what the heck, ok".

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Date:
On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Justin Clift wrote:

> Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> <snip>
> > Turning the portal into a gborg project is overkill.  As Dave pointed
> > out there's not much left to be done, just finish it and get it over
> > with.  It's taken long enough already, turning it into some huge project
> > will only stretch it out even longer.
>
> As a *huge* project, you're right, it would.  It's really just a few
> files.
>
> However, if they feel it's worth doing as GBorg project, then my feeling
> is "what the heck, ok".

This isn't something that someone will be running on their local pc.
This is part of the website.  As small as this portal project is
*supposed* to be and as private as it was intended to be, justify
why it should be turned into a public project beyond "what the heck".

Vince.
--

Date:
On Mon, 2002-11-11 at 10:42, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Justin Clift wrote:
>
> > Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > Turning the portal into a gborg project is overkill.  As Dave pointed
> > > out there's not much left to be done, just finish it and get it over
> > > with.  It's taken long enough already, turning it into some huge project
> > > will only stretch it out even longer.
> >
> > As a *huge* project, you're right, it would.  It's really just a few
> > files.
> >
> > However, if they feel it's worth doing as GBorg project, then my feeling
> > is "what the heck, ok".
>
> This isn't something that someone will be running on their local pc.
> This is part of the website.  As small as this portal project is
> *supposed* to be and as private as it was intended to be, justify
> why it should be turned into a public project beyond "what the heck".
>
> Vince.

I only suggested it because if we're going to have multiple developers
doing support, we need some type of collaborative structure in place. If
we can get the thing done in a few days by skipping the collaborative
structure then by all means lets skip it and *get it done*. After that
we can flame war ourselves on whether it should be open source, have
multiple developers, use sourceforge, or whatever.  Dave, in your
opinion, whats the best way to tackle getting it done?

Robert Treat

Re: [Fwd: [pgsql-www] Finishing the Portal]

From
"Dave Page"

Honestly? I think it's a few hours work for one person, assuming there
are no more design changes etc. At most it maybe warrants adding to a
cvs someplace (I believe there is one for the web stuff isn't there
Vince?). I agree with Vince (now there's a first :-) ) - Gborg is
serious overkill.

Regards, Dave.

Re: [Fwd: [pgsql-www] Finishing the Portal]

From
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Date:
On 11 Nov 2002 at 10:42, Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Justin Clift wrote:
> > Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> > <snip>
> > > Turning the portal into a gborg project is overkill.  As Dave pointed
> > > out there's not much left to be done, just finish it and get it over
> > > with.  It's taken long enough already, turning it into some huge project
> > > will only stretch it out even longer.
> > As a *huge* project, you're right, it would.  It's really just a few
> > files.
> > However, if they feel it's worth doing as GBorg project, then my feeling
> > is "what the heck, ok".
> This isn't something that someone will be running on their local pc.
> This is part of the website.  As small as this portal project is
> *supposed* to be and as private as it was intended to be, justify
> why it should be turned into a public project beyond "what the heck".

There are reasons. We are and going to be the face of the postgresql project.
It's not about setting things up and getting it running. That's technicality
and I'm sure we could do that easily.

It's not about 'getting it done' but about 'keep getting it done'. People come
and go. Not always because they don't want to work on  this but due to some
genuine problem.

Such things should keep running whether or not few people are there. I second
the opinion of haing it as a gborg project, properly access controlled and
documented as far as possible.

I would be glad to do documentation part. Let me know what I can do..

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Bugs, pl. n.:    Small living things that small living boys throw on small living
girls.

On Mon, 2002-11-11 at 10:54, Dave Page wrote:

> [...]

Well, ok then.  It is php/sql work right? You can send me the files or
send them to Ewald unless there is a better way to get at them, and if
so just send that to the respective developer and we can get on it.

Robert Treat

Re: [Fwd: [pgsql-www] Finishing the Portal]

From
Vince Vielhaber
> > I only suggested it because if we're going to have multiple
> > developers doing support, we need some type of collaborative
> > structure in place. If we can get the thing done in a few
> > days by skipping the collaborative structure then by all
> > means lets skip it and *get it done*. After that we can flame
> > war ourselves on whether it should be open source, have
> > multiple developers, use sourceforge, or whatever.  Dave, in
> > your opinion, whats the best way to tackle getting it done?
>
> Honestly? I think it's a few hours work for one person, assuming there
> are no more design changes etc. At most it maybe warrants adding to a
> cvs someplace (I believe there is one for the web stuff isn't there
> Vince?). I agree with Vince (now there's a first :-) ) - Gborg is
> serious overkill.

Picking myself up off of the floor after seeing Dave agree with me.
Gonna hafta frame this one!

Yes, there is a web cvs.

Vince.
--
   http://www.meanstreamradio.com       http://www.unknown-artists.com
         Internet radio: It's not file sharing, it's just radio.

Re: [Fwd: [pgsql-www] Finishing the Portal]

From
"Dave Page"

Ewald already has access to them I believe. For your info, they are in
/usr/local/www/www in the jobs vm.

Regards, Dave.

Re: [Fwd: [pgsql-www] Finishing the Portal]

From
Justin Clift
Dave Page wrote:
<snip>
> Honestly? I think it's a few hours work for one person, assuming there
> are no more design changes etc. At most it maybe warrants adding to a
> cvs someplace (I believe there is one for the web stuff isn't there
> Vince?). I agree with Vince (now there's a first :-) ) - Gborg is
> serious overkill.

Cool.  That probably settles that then.

:-)

Ewald has an account on the server now, and Robert will too once he
suggests a username to use.

Robert, Ewald, can you guys figure out who wants to do this?

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Regards, Dave.

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: [Fwd: [pgsql-www] Finishing the Portal]

From
Ewald Geschwinde
Date:
I try to work already on the missing parts.
Takes a little bit time. :-)

But I think at the moment there are few people who work on that.
So the better way to do documentation and that stuff is a docparser of the scourcefiles.

Regards Ewald

http://archives.postgresql.org

Date:
On Mon, 2002-11-11 at 11:05, Justin Clift wrote:
> Dave Page wrote:
> <snip>
> > Honestly? I think it's a few hours work for one person, assuming there
> > are no more design changes etc.
>
> Robert, Ewald, can you guys figure out who wants to do this?

Ewald, you seem to be ahead of me on this, why don't you look it over
and let me know what you'd like me to tackle.

Robert Treat

Re: [Fwd: [pgsql-www] Finishing the Portal]

From
Ewald Geschwinde
Date:
I will try to figure out what exactly I have todo and where

As I said before takes a little bit time. But I will give you an answer in a short time

Ewald

Robert Treat schrieb:
Honestly? I think it's a few hours work for one person, assuming there
are no more design changes etc.
Robert, Ewald, can you guys figure out who wants to do this?

Ewald, you seem to be ahead of me on this, why don't you look it over
and let me know what you'd like me to tackle.

Robert Treat

Re: [Fwd: [pgsql-www] Finishing the Portal]

From
Ewald Geschwinde
Date:
The menubar problem is done
Has taken about 30 minutes but I had to take care of my sons cause my wife was at a gym course

Now only the mirror selectors has to be done for users longe and so on

I will do this tomorrow.

Robert, if you want to do this I don't mind. :-)

But I think the urls must be selected out of the database.
the fastest way to do this is to copy the mirror files and replace the sql statement
the output should be the same.

and the buildstatistic should be updated with the file

I have added now the left menu bar to the events,news,ftpmirrors,survey

Please take a look at it. Maybe I have forgotten something

there is also a strange </font| tagin the left bar that does not seem to have a beginning but I will investigate this tomorrow

Regards Ewald

Robert Treat schrieb:
Honestly? I think it's a few hours work for one person, assuming there
are no more design changes etc.
Robert, Ewald, can you guys figure out who wants to do this?

Ewald, you seem to be ahead of me on this, why don't you look it over
and let me know what you'd like me to tackle.

Robert Treat

Re: [Fwd: [pgsql-www] Finishing the Portal]

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
Great, thanks. It does look better I think - Marc?

One thing I completely forgot - at the bottom of the news and event headlines on index.html, there are options to submit news/events. These need a simple form, again built using php/buildstatics that allow anyone to submit news or an event. I think it should just email it to the lists, then whoever of us picks it up can deal with it.

Thoughts?

Regards, Dave.

Robert Treat schrieb:
Honestly? I think it's a few hours work for one person, assuming there
are no more design changes etc.
Robert, Ewald, can you guys figure out who wants to do this?

Ewald, you seem to be ahead of me on this, why don't you look it over
and let me know what you'd like me to tackle.

Robert Treat

Re: [Fwd: [pgsql-www] Finishing the Portal]

From
Ewald Geschwinde
Date:
ok I will take that over.
robert is working on the mirror selectors already

should this be a popup or a form integrated in the page?
Ewald

Robert Treat schrieb:
Honestly? I think it's a few hours work for one person, assuming there
are no more design changes etc.
Robert, Ewald, can you guys figure out who wants to do this?

Ewald, you seem to be ahead of me on this, why don't you look it over
and let me know what you'd like me to tackle.

Robert Treat

Re: [Fwd: [pgsql-www] Finishing the Portal]

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
Whatever you think looks good.

Regards, Dave.

Robert Treat schrieb:
Honestly? I think it's a few hours work for one person, assuming there
are no more design changes etc.
Robert, Ewald, can you guys figure out who wants to do this?

Ewald, you seem to be ahead of me on this, why don't you look it over
and let me know what you'd like me to tackle.

Robert Treat

Re: [Fwd: [pgsql-www] Finishing the Portal]

From
Robert Treat
Date:
Ewald, I'd recommend using a form embedded in the page, since a pop-up
is probably going to need javascript, and we probably have a diverse
enough group of browsers to avoid javascript if possible.

Also, when it submits it needs to be inserted into the new database in
not approved status. It can then mail it to the list for someone to go
approve it.

Robert Treat

On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 04:44, Ewald Geschwinde wrote:
> ok I will take that over.
> should this be a popup or a form integrated in the page?
> Ewald
>

> Dave Page schrieb:
>

> Great, thanks. It does look better I think - Marc?
>
> One thing I completely forgot - at the bottom of the news and event
> headlines on index.html, there are options to submit news/events. These
> need a simple form, again built using php/buildstatics that allow anyone
> to submit news or an event. I think it should just email it to the
> lists, then whoever of us picks it up can deal with it.
>
> Thoughts?

Re: [Fwd: [pgsql-www] Finishing the Portal]

From
Ewald Geschwinde
Date:
I tended to do this with am embedded form cause the postgresql websites don't have popups
and pesonally I don't like popups
Ewald

Dave Page schrieb:

Great, thanks. It does look better I think - Marc?
One thing I completely forgot - at the bottom of the news and event
headlines on index.html, there are options to submit news/events. These
need a simple form, again built using php/buildstatics that allow anyone
to submit news or an event. I think it should just email it to the
lists, then whoever of us picks it up can deal with it.
Thoughts?

Re: [Fwd: [pgsql-www] Finishing the Portal]

From
Ewald Geschwinde
Date:
One question regarding the news and events forms

Who will check the news and events and approve them?

Should I send a mail to someone?
Or is one looking into the db and set the approved flag on true?
Ewald

Dave Page schrieb:

Great, thanks. It does look better I think - Marc?
One thing I completely forgot - at the bottom of the news and event
headlines on index.html, there are options to submit news/events. These
need a simple form, again built using php/buildstatics that allow anyone
to submit news or an event. I think it should just email it to the
lists, then whoever of us picks it up can deal with it.
Thoughts?

Re: [Fwd: [pgsql-www] Finishing the Portal]

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
I think we said some time ago that the messages could just go to the pgsql-www list and be handled by whoever picks them up. The list is closed after all.

Regards, Dave.

Dave Page schrieb:

Great, thanks. It does look better I think - Marc?
One thing I completely forgot - at the bottom of the news and event
headlines on index.html, there are options to submit news/events. These
need a simple form, again built using php/buildstatics that allow anyone
to submit news or an event. I think it should just email it to the
lists, then whoever of us picks it up can deal with it.
Thoughts?

Re: [Fwd: [pgsql-www] Finishing the Portal]

From
Ewald Geschwinde
Date:
ok I will enter in globals an email adress that can be changed after all
Ewald

Dave Page schrieb:

Great, thanks. It does look better I think - Marc?
One thing I completely forgot - at the bottom of the news and event
headlines on index.html, there are options to submit news/events. These
need a simple form, again built using php/buildstatics that allow anyone
to submit news or an event. I think it should just email it to the
lists, then whoever of us picks it up can deal with it.
Thoughts?

Re: [Fwd: [pgsql-www] Finishing the Portal]

From
Lee Kindness
Date:
Guys, just had a quick look at the site... It would seem the top
graphic has been messed around with quite a bit and the anti-aliasing
has come out rather badly. I've had touched this up by hand, available
at:

 http://services.csl.co.uk/postgresql/banner-left.gif

BRegards, Lee.

Ewald Geschwinde writes:
 > One question regarding the news and events forms
 >
 > Who will check the news and events and approve them?
 >
 > Should I send a mail to someone?
 > Or is one looking into the db and set the approved flag on true?
 > Ewald

Re: [Fwd: [pgsql-www] Finishing the Portal]

From
Ewald Geschwinde
Date:
I have uploaded the gif file to the images folder
I will now replace it in the files
Ewald

Lee Kindness schrieb:

>Guys, just had a quick look at the site... It would seem the top
>graphic has been messed around with quite a bit and the anti-aliasing
>has come out rather badly. I've had touched this up by hand, available
>at:
>
> http://services.csl.co.uk/postgresql/banner-left.gif
>
>BRegards, Lee.
>
>Ewald Geschwinde writes:
> > One question regarding the news and events forms
> >
> > Who will check the news and events and approve them?
> >
> > Should I send a mail to someone?
> > Or is one looking into the db and set the approved flag on true?
> > Ewald

>http://www.postgresql.org/users-lounge/docs/faq.html

Re: [Fwd: [pgsql-www] Finishing the Portal]

From
Ewald Geschwinde
Date:
The forms are built in the page and are functional
maybe some design issues.

The data will also be inserted into the database
It's now time to think about what is left
Ewald

Dave Page schrieb:

Great, thanks. It does look better I think - Marc?
One thing I completely forgot - at the bottom of the news and event
headlines on index.html, there are options to submit news/events. These
need a simple form, again built using php/buildstatics that allow anyone
to submit news or an event. I think it should just email it to the
lists, then whoever of us picks it up can deal with it.
Thoughts?

Re: [Fwd: [pgsql-www] Finishing the Portal]

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Hi Guys,

Lee, thanks heaps for doing this.  :-)

As an improvement to the existing graphic, are you ok to generate an
updated version that uses the same dark blue color for the whole
"PostgreSQL" word?  The present approach of having "Postgre" and "SQL"
in different colors isn't helping with people's perception of the
project name.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Ewald Geschwinde wrote:

> I have uploaded the gif file to the images folder
> I will now replace it in the files
> Ewald
>
> Lee Kindness schrieb:
>
> >Guys, just had a quick look at the site... It would seem the top
> >graphic has been messed around with quite a bit and the anti-aliasing
> >has come out rather badly. I've had touched this up by hand, available
> >at:
> >
> > http://services.csl.co.uk/postgresql/banner-left.gif
> >
> >BRegards, Lee.

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: [Fwd: [pgsql-www] Finishing the Portal]

From
Lee Kindness
Date:
Justin, I gave the change a go, but without knowing the original font,
or having it installed it was only ever going to look worse. Instead
i've redone the text in 48pt bold "helmet condensed", which I think
maintains the overall feel of the site.

The original, anti-alias change, and with the new text are all at:

 http://services.csl.co.uk/postgresql/

Lee.

Justin Clift writes:
 > Hi Guys,
 >
 > Lee, thanks heaps for doing this.  :-)
 >
 > As an improvement to the existing graphic, are you ok to generate an
 > updated version that uses the same dark blue color for the whole
 > "PostgreSQL" word?  The present approach of having "Postgre" and "SQL"
 > in different colors isn't helping with people's perception of the
 > project name.
 >
 > :-)
 >
 > Regards and best wishes,
 >
 > Justin Clift
 >
 > Ewald Geschwinde wrote:
 > >
 > > I have uploaded the gif file to the images folder
 > > I will now replace it in the files
 > > Ewald
 > >
 > > Lee Kindness schrieb:
 > >
 > > >Guys, just had a quick look at the site... It would seem the top
 > > >graphic has been messed around with quite a bit and the anti-aliasing
 > > >has come out rather badly. I've had touched this up by hand, available
 > > >at:
 > > >
 > > > http://services.csl.co.uk/postgresql/banner-left.gif
 > > >
 > > >BRegards, Lee.

Re: [Fwd: [pgsql-www] Finishing the Portal]

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
Hi Ewald,

I got the following error when entering a long story:

Warning: pg_exec() query failed: ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "s" in /usr/local/www/www/form_db.php on line 13

I suspect you forgot to AddSlashes() and it barfed on a single quote in my text.

some other notes:

- On the Users' Lounge mirror page, the title is 'Select a download mirror...'. This should probably be changed to 'Select a mirror site...'

- The Users' Lounge mirrors should probably point to http://mirror.site/users-lounge/

- We need to add the stats from GBorg. I forget where they come from at the moment, but will look into it.

Looking good though - thanks for the effort.

Regards, Dave.

Dave Page schrieb:

Great, thanks. It does look better I think - Marc?
One thing I completely forgot - at the bottom of the news and event
headlines on index.html, there are options to submit news/events. These
need a simple form, again built using php/buildstatics that allow anyone
to submit news or an event. I think it should just email it to the
lists, then whoever of us picks it up can deal with it.
Thoughts?

Re: [Fwd: [pgsql-www] Finishing the Portal]

From
Ewald Geschwinde
Date:
Yes this is true
I will take some parsing things into it

I'm now also subscribed to pgsql-www-main list
I will not send further mails to pgsql-www list and advocacy
Ewald

Dave Page schrieb:

Great, thanks. It does look better I think - Marc?
One thing I completely forgot - at the bottom of the news and event
headlines on index.html, there are options to submit news/events. These
need a simple form, again built using php/buildstatics that allow anyone
to submit news or an event. I think it should just email it to the
lists, then whoever of us picks it up can deal with it.
Thoughts?

Re: [Fwd: [pgsql-www] Finishing the Portal]

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Hi Lee,

Oops.  Sorry about that.

Is it worth cut and pasting the top banner from the Techdocs site?  Look
some time a while ago touching it up and making that all one color with
the existing font.

?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Lee Kindness wrote:

> Justin, I gave the change a go, but without knowing the original font,
> or having it installed it was only ever going to look worse. Instead
> i've redone the text in 48pt bold "helmet condensed", which I think
> maintains the overall feel of the site.
>
> The original, anti-alias change, and with the new text are all at:
>
>  http://services.csl.co.uk/postgresql/
>
> Lee.

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: [Fwd: [pgsql-www] Finishing the Portal]

From
Lee Kindness
Date:
Hadn't noticed that banner... i'll use it as a source and make a new
one for the devel site in a couple of hours.

Lee.

Justin Clift writes:
 > Hi Lee,
 >
 > Oops.  Sorry about that.
 >
 > Is it worth cut and pasting the top banner from the Techdocs site?  Look
 > some time a while ago touching it up and making that all one color with
 > the existing font.
 >
 > ?
 >
 > Regards and best wishes,
 >
 > Justin Clift
 >

 > Lee Kindness wrote:
 > >
 > > Justin, I gave the change a go, but without knowing the original font,
 > > or having it installed it was only ever going to look worse. Instead
 > > i've redone the text in 48pt bold "helmet condensed", which I think
 > > maintains the overall feel of the site.
 > >
 > > The original, anti-alias change, and with the new text are all at:
 > >
 > >  http://services.csl.co.uk/postgresql/
 > >
 > > Lee.

 >    - Indira Gandhi

Re: [Fwd: [pgsql-www] Finishing the Portal]

From
Lee Kindness
Date:
Right, updated using the techdocs banner as the basis. Also had to
rejig the right hand banner a bit too...

Lee Kindness writes:
 > Hadn't noticed that banner... i'll use it as a source and make a new
 > one for the devel site in a couple of hours.
 >
 > Justin Clift writes:
 >  > Is it worth cut and pasting the top banner from the Techdocs site?  Look
 >  > some time a while ago touching it up and making that all one color with
 >  > the existing font?
 >  >
 >  > Lee Kindness wrote:
 >  > > Justin, I gave the change a go, but without knowing the original font,
 >  > > or having it installed it was only ever going to look worse. Instead
 >  > > i've redone the text in 48pt bold "helmet condensed", which I think
 >  > > maintains the overall feel of the site.
 >  > >
 >  > > The original, anti-alias change, and with the new text are all at:
 >  > >
 >  > >  http://services.csl.co.uk/postgresql/

Re: [Fwd: [pgsql-www] Finishing the Portal]

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Justin Clift wrote:

> Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> <snip>
> > Turning the portal into a gborg project is overkill.  As Dave pointed
> > out there's not much left to be done, just finish it and get it over
> > with.  It's taken long enough already, turning it into some huge project
> > will only stretch it out even longer.
>
> As a *huge* project, you're right, it would.  It's really just a few
> files.
>
> However, if they feel it's worth doing as GBorg project, then my feeling
> is "what the heck, ok".

I tend to agree with Vince on this one ... if nothing else, let's just get
this done and we can making it into a larger project *after*, when delays
won't matter near as much as they do now ...

Date:
Lee Kindness wrote:

> Right, updated using the techdocs banner as the basis. Also had to
> rejig the right hand banner a bit too...
>
>  http://services.csl.co.uk/postgresql/

That's *great work* Lee.

Thank you heaps.  :)

Ewald, would you please be able to update the wwwdevel site with the new
graphics from the bottom of Lee's page?

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift