Some restructuring of the download section

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Per discussions I've had with people for a long time now, I finally
got around to making some changes to the structure of the download
section last week, to make it a little bit less cluttered and
confusing. And I think minus a few details they're about ready to go.
And then I promptly forgot about posting it here...

So, important things first. Since it contains a lot of cut/paste
between different places the diff can be a bit hard to read. So I've
pushed a preview version of it up at
http://young-window-5672.herokuapp.com/download/. Username is webtest,
password foobar - to make sure google doesn't end up crawling it for
me...

I've pushed my development branch to github. It contains a lot of
minor changes and back/forth changes, so the history is probably not
very interested, but you can view the full diff to master at
https://github.com/mhagander/pgweb/compare/master...downloadrefactor,
or clone that github repo if you want to make some changes off it.

The main difference for people to actually see are, other than
generally trying to make it easier to read:
* Add more distinct links in the navigation bar. The Download one
becomes redundant, but it also makes it much easier to "get back" to
the starting point
* Remove the strange horizontal menu we used to select platform - it
didn't correspond to any kind of standard way of doing webpage layout,
and confused a lot of people
* Introduce a more granular split between Linux distributions, to be
able to target information more specifically - instead of a huge
if/elseif/elseif block between which distro you're on. Results in more
pages, but a lot more structured and easy to read pages.
* Put much more actual information on the per-distribution/per-os
pages. E.g. instead of "you can use yum", it has "how and why to use
yum" (and similar for other distros)
* Remove individual (and usually inconsistent) packager crediting -
this should be credited on the main project (/community/contributors/
page) like all other contributors.
* Update the snapshot download information which has been lacking love
for a long time
* In some pages, get rid of 200-char long rows and just fold them into
normal rows (e.g. the windows download page). Generates a big diff,
though...

Constructive comments are most welcome ;)

Also, I need help to update the details for operating systems/distros
and install methods that I don't know myself. I'd appreciate it if
someone who does could look at e.g. the RedHat pages and then
construct similar pages for the following OSes (either send me the
text, or just do a fork+pullreq on github):
* FreeBSD (Palle has promised to work on this alrady)
* OpenBSD (I suggest you wait until Palle is done with FreeBSD, since
I suspect they will be very similar)
* SuSE
* Mac OS X (the Fink and Macports part - I think I have the rest
covered by bugging people on IRC)
* Solaris

It's no worse than it is before, but it would be good to  be able to
improve the information on those pages as well.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: Some restructuring of the download section

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 10:48 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> So, important things first. Since it contains a lot of cut/paste
> between different places the diff can be a bit hard to read. So I've
> pushed a preview version of it up at
> http://young-window-5672.herokuapp.com/download/. Username is webtest,
> password foobar - to make sure google doesn't end up crawling it for
> me...

Thanks for working on this - it looks good.

> * Remove the strange horizontal menu we used to select platform - it
> didn't correspond to any kind of standard way of doing webpage layout,
> and confused a lot of people

Better remove the other horizontal menu at the top of the page too then :-p

(that's a joke, but seriously, I've never heard of anyone getting
confused by that - and frankly if someone does get confused by a
horizontal list, they probably stand zero chance of using PostgreSQL
without getting confused).

> * Introduce a more granular split between Linux distributions, to be
> able to target information more specifically - instead of a huge
> if/elseif/elseif block between which distro you're on. Results in more
> pages, but a lot more structured and easy to read pages.

The large bold warnings about the installers were added because they
used to be listed at the top of the page, above the platform-specific
packaging options (because they tended to confuse people less). It's
yet to be seen if users will become confused again - we have the info
they should need now, but I suspect that doesn't necessarily mean
they'll read it before emailing us. In any case, I think those
warnings should either be removed or made non-bold now.

> * Update the snapshot download information which has been lacking love
> for a long time

Per the above for the platform packaging warning (though, if you just
un-bold it, it should refer to the packages above, not below).

> * Mac OS X (the Fink and Macports part - I think I have the rest
> covered by bugging people on IRC)

Postgres.app shouldn't be included on there (yet) for a number of reasons:

- We have noone on the packagers list maintaining releases with the
community schedule.
- We haven't had any commitment to maintain releases in line with our
support policy.
- It's still a beta.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Date:
On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 7:53 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 10:48 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>>
>> So, important things first. Since it contains a lot of cut/paste
>> between different places the diff can be a bit hard to read. So I've
>> pushed a preview version of it up at
>> http://young-window-5672.herokuapp.com/download/. Username is webtest,
>> password foobar - to make sure google doesn't end up crawling it for
>> me...
>
> Thanks for working on this - it looks good.
>
>> * Remove the strange horizontal menu we used to select platform - it
>> didn't correspond to any kind of standard way of doing webpage layout,
>> and confused a lot of people
>
> Better remove the other horizontal menu at the top of the page too then :-p
>
> (that's a joke, but seriously, I've never heard of anyone getting
> confused by that - and frankly if someone does get confused by a
> horizontal list, they probably stand zero chance of using PostgreSQL
> without getting confused).

Yeah, I realize that was a joke. So maybe my phrasing was bad.

The way it was positioned as a horizontal menu *where it was*, and the
way it looks, doesn't really conform to anything that people do
elsewhere. If other sites use things like that *at all*, it's for
links to places further down on the same page or such - certainly not
for what's actually the most important links on the whole page...

>> * Introduce a more granular split between Linux distributions, to be
>> able to target information more specifically - instead of a huge
>> if/elseif/elseif block between which distro you're on. Results in more
>> pages, but a lot more structured and easy to read pages.
>
> The large bold warnings about the installers were added because they
> used to be listed at the top of the page, above the platform-specific
> packaging options (because they tended to confuse people less). It's
> yet to be seen if users will become confused again - we have the info
> they should need now, but I suspect that doesn't necessarily mean
> they'll read it before emailing us. In any case, I think those
> warnings should either be removed or made non-bold now.

I wouldn't want to remove them at all, since they're clearly still correct.

In fact, given the number of people I've run into who've had problems
because of that, I'd rather leave them as bold as well. But I'll be
happy to defer that decision to someone who's neither you nor me ;)

>> * Update the snapshot download information which has been lacking love
>> for a long time
>
> Per the above for the platform packaging warning (though, if you just
> un-bold it, it should refer to the packages above, not below).

Oh, nice one. Fixed.

>> * Mac OS X (the Fink and Macports part - I think I have the rest
>> covered by bugging people on IRC)
>
> Postgres.app shouldn't be included on there (yet) for a number of reasons:
>
> - We have noone on the packagers list maintaining releases with the
> community schedule.
> - We haven't had any commitment to maintain releases in line with our
> support policy.
> - It's still a beta.

agreed. That was actually mostly put in there as an example of how it
would look, and in the hope that they would finish it. And then I
forgot about commenting it out :-) Also done now.

--

Date:
On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 2:14 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

>> The large bold warnings about the installers were added because they
>> used to be listed at the top of the page, above the platform-specific
>> packaging options (because they tended to confuse people less). It's
>> yet to be seen if users will become confused again - we have the info
>> they should need now, but I suspect that doesn't necessarily mean
>> they'll read it before emailing us. In any case, I think those
>> warnings should either be removed or made non-bold now.
>
> I wouldn't want to remove them at all, since they're clearly still correct.
>
> In fact, given the number of people I've run into who've had problems
> because of that, I'd rather leave them as bold as well.

Citations please? I don't recall ever hearing of people running into
such problems. I still maintain that it should be pretty blindingly
obvious that a graphical installer isn't an RPM or DEB - and that
being the case it seems like clutter on the page that is distracting
from the more important text that's there and will achieve little
except cause fewer people to actually read everything else.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com
Twitter: @pgsnake

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: Some restructuring of the download section

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
On Sun, 2012-06-17 at 17:48 +0800, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> [...]
> though...
>
> Constructive comments are most welcome ;)
>
> Also, I need help to update the details for operating systems/distros
> and install methods that I don't know myself. I'd appreciate it if
> someone who does could look at e.g. the RedHat pages and then
> construct similar pages for the following OSes (either send me the
> text, or just do a fork+pullreq on github):
> * FreeBSD (Palle has promised to work on this alrady)
> * OpenBSD (I suggest you wait until Palle is done with FreeBSD, since
> I suspect they will be very similar)
> * SuSE
> * Mac OS X (the Fink and Macports part - I think I have the rest
> covered by bugging people on IRC)
> * Solaris
>
> It's no worse than it is before, but it would be good to  be able to
> improve the information on those pages as well.

Seems good to me, though I would add PGXN on the "Additional Software"
part (before pgFoundry).

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info

Re: Some restructuring of the download section

From
"Kevin Grittner"
Date:
[resending because I accidentally failed to copy the list]
Dave Page  wrote:
> Magnus Hagander  wrote:
>>
>>> The large bold warnings about the installers [...] should either
>>> be removed or made non-bold now.
>>
>> I wouldn't want to remove them at all, since they're clearly still
>> correct.
> I still maintain that it should be pretty blindingly obvious that a
> graphical installer isn't an RPM or DEB
I think that there are an awful lot of people capable of running
PostgreSQL who don't understand Linux packaging systems.  FWIW, at
least half the tech support staff where I work would fail to assume
that a downloaded graphical installer would not integrate the
software in the same way that, say, the graphical "Package Manager"
on Ubuntu or the graphical form of yast (on SUSE) does.  I think the
warning is appropriate.
> and that being the case it seems like clutter on the page that is
> distracting from the more important text that's there and will
> achieve little except cause fewer people to actually read
> everything else.
I will agree that it should probably not be bold.  When I pulled one
of these pages up, it tended to be the first thing I read because it
was the only bold item on the page -- my eye was drawn there right
away.
In terms of confusing entries, though, describing the non-yum option
as a "one click installer" makes it sound like it is the fast and
easy way to do this.  My experiences with the yum packages is that
there are no clicks needed.  I type the apt-get command or pick the
package in the GUI package manager and a few secons later I have a
running PostgreSQL instance without any further interaction, and
which will automatically be updated with new minor releases.  I think
we should provide some guidance on the reasons one would want to pick
one or the other.
One other minor point, I don't think we should use initials like PPA
without defining them somewhere.  How is someone not versed in Linux
installer jargon supposed to know what a PPA is and whether they
should consider using one?
-Kevin

On Sunday, June 17, 2012, Kevin Grittner wrote:

In terms of confusing entries, though, describing the non-yum option
as a "one click installer" makes it sound like it is the fast and
easy way to do this.  My experiences with the yum packages is that
there are no clicks needed.  I type the apt-get command or pick the
package in the GUI package manager and a few secons later I have a
running PostgreSQL instance without any further interaction, and
which will automatically be updated with new minor releases.  I think
we should provide some guidance on the reasons one would want to pick
one or the other.

(this is background info, not an argument against the proposed changes):

Well the whole point is that they are faster and easier to get started - one package contains server, docs, GUI etc, and following a few clicks everything is up and running. Personally I dislike the term 1-click installer as it's clearly inaccurate (it's more like 5 clicks), but that's the name that has become known and recognised.

The platform native packaging systems are marginally easier to update (StackBuilder will update the installers), but have proven in the past to confuse some users because it's hard to know what to install (though part of what Magnus has done aims to make that easier), and they all install software but don't do any of the setup for you - no initdb, no service setup etc.

The reason the original design was implemented, and the installers were written, is that this was a real problem that caused regular emails to webmaster@postgresql.org and other places. We reduced that to practically zero by putting the 'no-brainer' option at the top of the page.

--

Date:
On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 11:27 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

> On Sunday, June 17, 2012, Kevin Grittner wrote:
>>

>> In terms of confusing entries, though, describing the non-yum option
>> as a "one click installer" makes it sound like it is the fast and
>> easy way to do this.  My experiences with the yum packages is that
>> there are no clicks needed.  I type the apt-get command or pick the
>> package in the GUI package manager and a few secons later I have a
>> running PostgreSQL instance without any further interaction, and
>> which will automatically be updated with new minor releases.  I think
>> we should provide some guidance on the reasons one would want to pick
>> one or the other.
>

> (this is background info, not an argument against the proposed changes):
>
> Well the whole point is that they are faster and easier to get started - one

Well, you already know I disagree on this ;)

But even in those cases that they *are* easier to get started with, it
comes with a cost later on.

> The platform native packaging systems are marginally easier to update
> (StackBuilder will update the installers), but have proven in the past to
> confuse some users because it's hard to know what to install (though part of
> what Magnus has done aims to make that easier), and they all install
> software but don't do any of the setup for you - no initdb, no service setup
> etc.

Uh, that part is just incorrect. Several sets of platform packages
certainly do initdb for you. And AFAIK every single one of them on
Linux at least do service setup for you.

> The reason the original design was implemented, and the installers were
> written, is that this was a real problem that caused regular emails to
> webmaster@postgresql.org and other places. We reduced that to practically
> zero by putting the 'no-brainer' option at the top of the page.

It's moved some of those to other lists of course, but yes, it
certainly helped to cut down the number of peopl ewho had that
problem. My hope with the redesign is to give them advice that's as
easy to use, but produce a better result (=OS integration).

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Some restructuring of the download section

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 10:59 PM, Kevin Grittner
<Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:

> Dave Page  wrote:

>>> I wouldn't want to remove them at all, since they're clearly still
>>> correct.
>
>> I still maintain that it should be pretty blindingly obvious that a
>> graphical installer isn't an RPM or DEB
>
> I think that there are an awful lot of people capable of running
> PostgreSQL who don't understand Linux packaging systems.  FWIW, at
> least half the tech support staff where I work would fail to assume
> that a downloaded graphical installer would not integrate the
> software in the same way that, say, the graphical "Package Manager"
> on Ubuntu or the graphical form of yast (on SUSE) does.  I think the
> warning is appropriate.
>
>> and that being the case it seems like clutter on the page that is
>> distracting from the more important text that's there and will
>> achieve little except cause fewer people to actually read
>> everything else.
>
> I will agree that it should probably not be bold.  When I pulled one
> of these pages up, it tended to be the first thing I read because it
> was the only bold item on the page -- my eye was drawn there right
> away.

True. That didn't happen to me because it happens to be right at the
edge of a page. Maybe make the "Note" part italic, and just leave the
rest as normal font could work?

> In terms of confusing entries, though, describing the non-yum option
> as a "one click installer" makes it sound like it is the fast and
> easy way to do this.  My experiences with the yum packages is that
> there are no clicks needed.  I type the apt-get command or pick the

Oooh.. How can I get apt-get to work with yum? ;)

(Sorry, couldn't help it)

> package in the GUI package manager and a few secons later I have a
> running PostgreSQL instance without any further interaction, and
> which will automatically be updated with new minor releases.  I think
> we should provide some guidance on the reasons one would want to pick
> one or the other.

Such as "This repository will integrate with your normal systems and
patch management, and provide automatic updates for all supported
versions of PostgreSQL throughout the support lifetime of
PostgreSQL.", which is there? ;)

Any suggestions for a wording that would be better?

> One other minor point, I don't think we should use initials like PPA
> without defining them somewhere.  How is someone not versed in Linux
> installer jargon supposed to know what a PPA is and whether they
> should consider using one?

Well, I'd rather avoid using "Personal Package Archive", because it
sounds scary ;) As in it sounds like something that's not supported,
to those who don't know what it is. (And frankly, I think that's a big
mistake on Ubuntu's part - that it's still Personal Package Archive
even if it's stuff that comes from a team, for example.  But there's
nothing *we* can do about that.)

But I guess we could add a simple "(Personal Package Archive)" after
the term the first time, would that satisfy as a definition?

--

Date:
On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 9:25 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 2:14 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>>
>>> The large bold warnings about the installers were added because they
>>> used to be listed at the top of the page, above the platform-specific
>>> packaging options (because they tended to confuse people less). It's
>>> yet to be seen if users will become confused again - we have the info
>>> they should need now, but I suspect that doesn't necessarily mean
>>> they'll read it before emailing us. In any case, I think those
>>> warnings should either be removed or made non-bold now.
>>
>> I wouldn't want to remove them at all, since they're clearly still correct.
>>
>> In fact, given the number of people I've run into who've had problems
>> because of that, I'd rather leave them as bold as well.
>
> Citations please? I don't recall ever hearing of people running into
> such problems. I still maintain that it should be pretty blindingly

As I've said previously, it's mainly been from people who aren't on
our lists, so I can't easily point there. I know it's up on the lists
every now and then as well, but it's getting too late in the evening
to spend time searching for that.

I've heard it from customers. I've heard it from people I've met at
conferences. I've heard it in IRC channels. I've heard it in
usergroups.

--

Date:
On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 4:39 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

>> The platform native packaging systems are marginally easier to update
>> (StackBuilder will update the installers), but have proven in the past to
>> confuse some users because it's hard to know what to install (though part of
>> what Magnus has done aims to make that easier), and they all install
>> software but don't do any of the setup for you - no initdb, no service setup
>> etc.
>
> Uh, that part is just incorrect. Several sets of platform packages
> certainly do initdb for you. And AFAIK every single one of them on
> Linux at least do service setup for you.

Hmm, clearly it's been a while since I did a PG installation on Debian
(oddly!), as that does seem to leave the server up and running. I'm
fairly certain it didn't in the past.

RPMs on the other hand, do not. You have to do something like:

yum install postgresql-server
service postgresql initdb
chkconfig postgresql on
service postgresql start

(tested on CentOS 6.2).

--

Date:
On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

>>> I wouldn't want to remove them at all, since they're clearly still correct.
>>>
>>> In fact, given the number of people I've run into who've had problems
>>> because of that, I'd rather leave them as bold as well.
>>
>> Citations please? I don't recall ever hearing of people running into
>> such problems. I still maintain that it should be pretty blindingly
>
> As I've said previously, it's mainly been from people who aren't on
> our lists, so I can't easily point there. I know it's up on the lists
> every now and then as well, but it's getting too late in the evening
> to spend time searching for that.
>
> I've heard it from customers. I've heard it from people I've met at
> conferences. I've heard it in IRC channels. I've heard it in
> usergroups.

So why don't I hear it? I get enough private emails from users with
other questions/comments - presumably as my name is next to the
download link.

Regardless though - I'm fine with leaving it there, or removing it. I
would rather remove it to simplify the text, but most importantly
don't think it should be bold, for exactly the reason Kevin gave.

--

Date:
On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 4:51 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 4:43 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Citations please? I don't recall ever hearing of people running into
>>> such problems. I still maintain that it should be pretty blindingly
>>
>> As I've said previously, it's mainly been from people who aren't on
>> our lists, so I can't easily point there. I know it's up on the lists
>> every now and then as well, but it's getting too late in the evening
>> to spend time searching for that.
>>
>> I've heard it from customers. I've heard it from people I've met at
>> conferences. I've heard it in IRC channels. I've heard it in
>> usergroups.

One other thought - presumably the people telling you this are not
reading the bold text that's there at the moment? Which probably means
those people aren't reading the rest of what's there either, so
there's likely not much we can do to help them.

In other words, maybe they aren't the best people to consider when we
think about anything other than simplifying those pages.

--

Date:
On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 11:58 PM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:

>>> As I've said previously, it's mainly been from people who aren't on
>>> our lists, so I can't easily point there. I know it's up on the lists
>>> every now and then as well, but it's getting too late in the evening
>>> to spend time searching for that.
>>>
>>> I've heard it from customers. I've heard it from people I've met at
>>> conferences. I've heard it in IRC channels. I've heard it in
>>> usergroups.
>
> One other thought - presumably the people telling you this are not
> reading the bold text that's there at the moment? Which probably means
> those people aren't reading the rest of what's there either, so
> there's likely not much we can do to help them.

Well, it's certainly gone down since the warning was added :-) A
number of them had just done it, found the problem, fixed it
themselves and then took a chance to report it once they ran into
someone who actually works on the site...

> In other words, maybe they aren't the best people to consider when we
> think about anything other than simplifying those pages.

That's a pretty good point though, that still holds at least partially :)

--

Date:
Magnus Hagander  wrote:
> Kevin Grittner  wrote:
> True. That didn't happen to me because it happens to be right at
> the edge of a page.
For me that depends on the page.  With RedHat I have to scroll down
to see it.  With SuSE it slaps me right upside the head by sitting
right in the middle of the page when it comes up.
> Maybe make the "Note" part italic, and just leave the rest as
> normal font could work?
That might be about right.
>> I think we should provide some guidance on the reasons one would
>> want to pick one or the other.
>
> Such as "This repository will integrate with your normal systems
> and patch management, and provide automatic updates for all
> supported versions of PostgreSQL throughout the support lifetime of
> PostgreSQL.", which is there? ;)
Only on the RedHat page.  There is different language, perhaps even
stronger, on the "Other Linux" page.  But the other pages don't have
anything similar, and they probably should.
> Any suggestions for a wording that would be better?
I'm afraid I don't know enough about the one-click installer and the
various options (GUI and otherwise) on other OS's.  I pretty much
know my way around the Synaptic Package Manager and apt-get on
Ubuntu, and yast and zypper on SuSE.  And, of course, I rarely use
any of those for PostgreSQL because I'm generally building from
source.  The one time I remember choosing the postgresql-8.4 package
in Ubuntu, I had a running server cluster on my workstation in about
30 seconds without doing anything further.
>> One other minor point, I don't think we should use initials like
>> PPA without defining them somewhere. How is someone not versed in
>> Linux installer jargon supposed to know what a PPA is and whether
>> they should consider using one?
>
> Well, I'd rather avoid using "Personal Package Archive", because it
> sounds scary ;) As in it sounds like something that's not
> supported, to those who don't know what it is. (And frankly, I
> think that's a big mistake on Ubuntu's part - that it's still
> Personal Package Archive even if it's stuff that comes from a team,
> for example. But there's nothing *we* can do about that.)
Yeah, that's a fair point, but I think that people who would be
scared by that would be even more scared by initials which aren't
defined, would do a web search to find out what it means, and still
get to the  "Personal Package Archive" phrase.  Having had to search
for the phrase might not boost confidence at that point.
> But I guess we could add a simple "(Personal Package Archive)"
> after the term the first time, would that satisfy as a definition?
I'm not sure what makes the most sense -- it should not be repeated a
lot or stressed, but neither should it be too hard to find if someone
wants to do so.  Is a footnote an option?  Maybe a short note with it
to describe what that really means, so as to boost confidence?
-Kevin

Re: Some restructuring of the download section

Date:
Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
> On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 4:39 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> Uh, that part is just incorrect. Several sets of platform packages
>> certainly do initdb for you. And AFAIK every single one of them on
>> Linux at least do service setup for you.

> Hmm, clearly it's been a while since I did a PG installation on Debian
> (oddly!), as that does seem to leave the server up and running. I'm
> fairly certain it didn't in the past.
> RPMs on the other hand, do not.

FWIW, Red-Hat-based systems have a strong distro policy against starting
servers merely because the package got installed --- the theory is that
an "everything" install should not leave the user running a bunch of
servers he doesn't know about and maybe hasn't configured securely.

I'm a bit surprised to hear that Debian does it differently; although
it's possible that they distinguish manual from automatic install
scenarios.  It's a little bit saner to do an auto service start if you
know that the user explicitly requested this specific package.
        regards, tom lane

Re: Some restructuring of the download section

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Magnus,

Wow, much more comprehensible.  I'm sure I'll find some nits later, but
it's so much easier to understand now that it's hard to find anything
worth adjusting.

Except ...

http://young-window-5672.herokuapp.com/download/snapshots/

For Snapshots page, I think the Source Code text block should be the top
section, instead of the bottom, since the most updated snapshots are
usually source.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Some restructuring of the download section

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Dave, Magnus,

I do think we should keep the warning about One-Click being an
alternative to RPM/Deb/Whatever and not complimentary to it.  However, I
don't think it needs to be Bold.

Cynically, I don't think people will actually read the warning, but when
I get complaints about it, I like to point out that it's there.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Date:
> Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
> > On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 4:39 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> >> Uh, that part is just incorrect. Several sets of platform packages
> >> certainly do initdb for you. And AFAIK every single one of them on
> >> Linux at least do service setup for you.
>
> > Hmm, clearly it's been a while since I did a PG installation on Debian
> > (oddly!), as that does seem to leave the server up and running. I'm
> > fairly certain it didn't in the past.
> > RPMs on the other hand, do not.
>
> FWIW, Red-Hat-based systems have a strong distro policy against starting
> servers merely because the package got installed --- the theory is that
> an "everything" install should not leave the user running a bunch of
> servers he doesn't know about and maybe hasn't configured securely.
>
> I'm a bit surprised to hear that Debian does it differently; although
> it's possible that they distinguish manual from automatic install
> scenarios.  It's a little bit saner to do an auto service start if you
> know that the user explicitly requested this specific package.

When you use aptitude or apt-get to install the server package, it will
install the binaires, execute initdb, and start the server. I much
prefer the RPM way of doing it (IOW, not starting the server). Anyway, I
guess there are both pros and cons in both methods.

--
Guillaume
http://blog.guillaume.lelarge.info
http://www.dalibo.com

Re: Some restructuring of the download section

From
Martin Atukunda
Date:
Looks good and *is* much more readable than the current version on the site.

I would suggest (in a bid to make even more readable) that we indent
the paragraphs so that its clear under which heading the content is.

For instance I find the section on Binary Distributions a lot easier
to read because of the indentation introduced by the list.

just my 2c

- Martin -

> [...]
> someone who does could look at e.g. the RedHat pages and then
> construct similar pages for the following OSes (either send me the
> text, or just do a fork+pullreq on github):
> * FreeBSD (Palle has promised to work on this alrady)
> * OpenBSD (I suggest you wait until Palle is done with FreeBSD, since
> I suspect they will be very similar)
> * SuSE
> * Mac OS X (the Fink and Macports part - I think I have the rest
> covered by bugging people on IRC)
> * Solaris
>
> It's no worse than it is before, but it would be good to  be able to
> improve the information on those pages as well.
>
> --
>  Magnus Hagander
>  Me: http://www.hagander.net/
>  Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Some restructuring of the download section

Date:
On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 12:21 AM, Kevin Grittner
<Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
> Magnus Hagander  wrote:
>> Kevin Grittner  wrote:
>
>> True. That didn't happen to me because it happens to be right at
>> the edge of a page.
>
> For me that depends on the page.  With RedHat I have to scroll down
> to see it.  With SuSE it slaps me right upside the head by sitting
> right in the middle of the page when it comes up.

That explains it - I've been looking mianly at the redhat page to view things :)

>> Maybe make the "Note" part italic, and just leave the rest as
>> normal font could work?
>
> That might be about right.

Ok, I've tried that and pushed it.

>>> I think we should provide some guidance on the reasons one would
>>> want to pick one or the other.
>>
>> Such as "This repository will integrate with your normal systems
>> and patch management, and provide automatic updates for all
>> supported versions of PostgreSQL throughout the support lifetime of
>> PostgreSQL.", which is there? ;)
>
> Only on the RedHat page.  There is different language, perhaps even
> stronger, on the "Other Linux" page.  But the other pages don't have
> anything similar, and they probably should.

Yeah I'll add it to my list to get something like that in.

>> Any suggestions for a wording that would be better?
>
> I'm afraid I don't know enough about the one-click installer and the
> various options (GUI and otherwise) on other OS's.  I pretty much
> know my way around the Synaptic Package Manager and apt-get on
> Ubuntu, and yast and zypper on SuSE.  And, of course, I rarely use
> any of those for PostgreSQL because I'm generally building from
> source.  The one time I remember choosing the postgresql-8.4 package
> in Ubuntu, I had a running server cluster on my workstation in about
> 30 seconds without doing anything further.

Yeah, that is one of the many advantages :)

>>> One other minor point, I don't think we should use initials like
>>> PPA without defining them somewhere. How is someone not versed in
>>> Linux installer jargon supposed to know what a PPA is and whether
>>> they should consider using one?
>>
>> Well, I'd rather avoid using "Personal Package Archive", because it
>> sounds scary ;) As in it sounds like something that's not
>> supported, to those who don't know what it is. (And frankly, I
>> think that's a big mistake on Ubuntu's part - that it's still
>> Personal Package Archive even if it's stuff that comes from a team,
>> for example. But there's nothing *we* can do about that.)
>
> Yeah, that's a fair point, but I think that people who would be
> scared by that would be even more scared by initials which aren't
> defined, would do a web search to find out what it means, and still
> get to the  "Personal Package Archive" phrase.  Having had to search
> for the phrase might not boost confidence at that point.

Hmm. True. Ok, I've added it for now in parenthesis.

>> But I guess we could add a simple "(Personal Package Archive)"
>> after the term the first time, would that satisfy as a definition?
>
> I'm not sure what makes the most sense -- it should not be repeated a
> lot or stressed, but neither should it be too hard to find if someone
> wants to do so.  Is a footnote an option?  Maybe a short note with it
> to describe what that really means, so as to boost confidence?

Yeah - I tried something like that - hopefully it looks ok?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Some restructuring of the download section

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> On Sun, 2012-06-17 at 12:40 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> writes:
>>
>> > Hmm, clearly it's been a while since I did a PG installation on Debian
>> > (oddly!), as that does seem to leave the server up and running. I'm
>> > fairly certain it didn't in the past.
>> > RPMs on the other hand, do not.
>>
>> FWIW, Red-Hat-based systems have a strong distro policy against starting
>> servers merely because the package got installed --- the theory is that
>> an "everything" install should not leave the user running a bunch of
>> servers he doesn't know about and maybe hasn't configured securely.
>>
>> I'm a bit surprised to hear that Debian does it differently; although
>> it's possible that they distinguish manual from automatic install
>> scenarios.  It's a little bit saner to do an auto service start if you
>> know that the user explicitly requested this specific package.
>>

> When you use aptitude or apt-get to install the server package, it will
> install the binaires, execute initdb, and start the server. I much
> prefer the RPM way of doing it (IOW, not starting the server). Anyway, I
> guess there are both pros and cons in both methods.

Yeah. But it's a good point that since they are different, I should
add info to each of the pages saying exactly how it behaves on that
specific platform.

--

Date:
On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 4:28 AM, Martin Atukunda <matlads@gmail.com> wrote:
> Looks good and *is* much more readable than the current version on the site.
>
> I would suggest (in a bid to make even more readable) that we indent
> the paragraphs so that its clear under which heading the content is.
>
> For instance I find the section on Binary Distributions a lot easier
> to read because of the indentation introduced by the list.

Hi!

That might well be a good idea, but it's "out of scope" for this
patch. We're not going to use a different layout for just these pages,
we're using the standard stylesheets from the website. Unfortunately
they are a little bit unclear on exafctly these things. I believe it's
already on the TODO list for whenever we do the next website style
update, to get that more clear.

But thanks for the suggestion anyway!

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Some restructuring of the download section

From
Bjorn Munch
Date:
On 17/06 17.48, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> Also, I need help to update the details for operating systems/distros
> and install methods that I don't know myself. I'd appreciate it if
> someone who does could look at e.g. the RedHat pages and then
> construct similar pages for the following OSes (either send me the
> text, or just do a fork+pullreq on github):

OK one comment about the details for Solaris. I can't easily access
non-web stuff from within the firewall, but it's just one small
change:

I'd like to remove OpenSolaris form the list of "Solarises" mentioned;
I replaced that with Solaris 11 several minor versions ago, so Solaris
10 and 11 will be the platforms packaged for in the foreseeable
future.

- Bjorn (Solaris tar ball builder)

Date:
On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 08:44:24 +0800, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>
wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

Debian

>>> FWIW, Red-Hat-based systems have a strong distro policy against
starting
>>> servers merely because the package got installed --- the theory is
that
>>> an "everything" install should not leave the user running a bunch of
>>> servers he doesn't know about and maybe hasn't configured securely.
>>>
>>> I'm a bit surprised to hear that Debian does it differently; although
>>> it's possible that they distinguish manual from automatic install
>>> scenarios.  It's a little bit saner to do an auto service start if you
>>> know that the user explicitly requested this specific package.
>>>

>> When you use aptitude or apt-get to install the server package, it will
>> install the binaires, execute initdb, and start the server. I much
>> prefer the RPM way of doing it (IOW, not starting the server). Anyway,
>> guess there are both pros and cons in both methods.
>
> Yeah. But it's a good point that since they are different, I should
> add info to each of the pages saying exactly how it behaves on that
> specific platform.

I'm not sure this is really our responsibility. The package maintainer
should have a webpage explaining how his packages work.

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com

Re: Some restructuring of the download section

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

>> Yeah. But it's a good point that since they are different, I should
>> add info to each of the pages saying exactly how it behaves on that
>> specific platform.
>
> I'm not sure this is really our responsibility. The package maintainer
> should have a webpage explaining how his packages work.

It is our responsibility to some extent (unfortunately), and is
precisely what's driven this and previous designs of these pages. We
get too many confused users emailing us if it's not crystal clear how
they should install and setup binary packages (that's why the
installers were at the top of the page; they made it extremely simple
to get up and running for those that didn't bother to read past the
first couple of lines of text).

--

Date:
On Tuesday, June 19, 2012, Bjorn Munch wrote:
On 17/06 17.48, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> Also, I need help to update the details for operating systems/distros
> and install methods that I don't know myself. I'd appreciate it if
> someone who does could look at e.g. the RedHat pages and then
> construct similar pages for the following OSes (either send me the
> text, or just do a fork+pullreq on github):

OK one comment about the details for Solaris. I can't easily access
non-web stuff from within the firewall, but it's just one small
change:

You can browse the files on githjub if you want ;) In theory, you can even edit them from a webbrowser I think - I've never tried that myself though...

I'd like to remove OpenSolaris form the list of "Solarises" mentioned;
I replaced that with Solaris 11 several minor versions ago, so Solaris
10 and 11 will be the platforms packaged for in the foreseeable
future.

ok, that's easy enough - changed in my local copy.

Should we perhaps extract some of the information from the README file and put it on this webpage instead, to make it more in line with the other pages? (Note that I say that without having actually looked at the README file since I'm on a non-wifi flight - so if the information corresponding to the stuff we have for other platforms isn't in the README file, perhaps we can write at least some of that?)

//Magnus

--

Date:
wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

Debian

>>> FWIW, Red-Hat-based systems have a strong distro policy against
starting
>>> servers merely because the package got installed --- the theory is
that
>>> an "everything" install should not leave the user running a bunch of
>>> servers he doesn't know about and maybe hasn't configured securely.
>>>
>>> I'm a bit surprised to hear that Debian does it differently; although
>>> it's possible that they distinguish manual from automatic install
>>> scenarios.  It's a little bit saner to do an auto service start if you
>>> know that the user explicitly requested this specific package.
>>>

>> When you use aptitude or apt-get to install the server package, it will
>> install the binaires, execute initdb, and start the server. I much
>> prefer the RPM way of doing it (IOW, not starting the server). Anyway,
>> guess there are both pros and cons in both methods.
>
> Yeah. But it's a good point that since they are different, I should
> add info to each of the pages saying exactly how it behaves on that
> specific platform.

I'm not sure this is really our responsibility. The package maintainer
should have a webpage explaining how his packages work.

One of the main reasons for this change is that it *is* our responsibility. People come to us to get PostgreSQL. If we can't tell them how to install it, they turn away. This is one of the reasons why people end up using the oneclicks even in cases where it's not a good idea - because we do tell them how to do that ("click here, then follow the instructions").

But it is also information that we can, relatively easy, provide for the end user, that is very valuable to those who aren't experienced in the platform.

//Magnus

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Some restructuring of the download section

From
Pierre-Emmanuel André
Date:
On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 05:48:38PM +0800, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> [...]
> though...
>
> Constructive comments are most welcome ;)
>
> Also, I need help to update the details for operating systems/distros
> and install methods that I don't know myself. I'd appreciate it if
> someone who does could look at e.g. the RedHat pages and then
> construct similar pages for the following OSes (either send me the
> text, or just do a fork+pullreq on github):
> * FreeBSD (Palle has promised to work on this alrady)
> * OpenBSD (I suggest you wait until Palle is done with FreeBSD, since
> I suspect they will be very similar)
> * SuSE
> * Mac OS X (the Fink and Macports part - I think I have the rest
> covered by bugging people on IRC)
> * Solaris
>
> It's no worse than it is before, but it would be good to  be able to
> improve the information on those pages as well.

Hi,

The new page have a better look and i think that it's more readable.

Pierre-Emmanuel André <pea at raveland.org>
GPG key: 0x7AE329DC

Re: Some restructuring of the download section

From
Raymond O'Donnell
Date:
Hi all,

An aside to this discussion - is there anywhere online where one can see
the new version of the website that you're discussing? - or do you have
to have a development environment installed locally?

Thanks,

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod@iol.ie

Date:
On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 12:50 PM, Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> An aside to this discussion - is there anywhere online where one can see
> the new version of the website that you're discussing? - or do you have
> to have a development environment installed locally?

that was in the first post, but reposting here for thsoe who missed it:

--

Date:
On 20/06/2012 11:51, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 12:50 PM, Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> An aside to this discussion - is there anywhere online where one can see
>> the new version of the website that you're discussing? - or do you have
>> to have a development environment installed locally?
>
> that was in the first post, but reposting here for thsoe who missed it:
>
> --
> So, important things first. Since it contains a lot of cut/paste
> between different places the diff can be a bit hard to read. So I've
> pushed a preview version of it up at
> http://young-window-5672.herokuapp.com/download/. Username is webtest,

Thanks Magnus - I missed the first one, and only got interested recently.

Ray.

--

Date:
On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 12:51 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 12:50 PM, Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> An aside to this discussion - is there anywhere online where one can see
>> the new version of the website that you're discussing? - or do you have
>> to have a development environment installed locally?
>
> that was in the first post, but reposting here for thsoe who missed it:

Since there have been no further comments for a while, I've clened it
up with the latest round of comments, and pushed it to the website
now.

There's still work to be done - I'm still waiting for the updated info
from the different BSDs for example, but that's info we don't have to
day anyway, so it shouldn't stand in the way of improving the other
parts.

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/
 Work: http://www.redpill-linpro.com/

Re: Some restructuring of the download section

From
Palle Girgensohn
Date:
Ah, sorry about the sparse BSD info, I ran out of time. I on vacation now for a while, but will try to find some time
toupdate the info within the next couple of weeks. No computer access now for ten days...

Palle

Date:
On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 04:27:59PM +0100, Dave Page wrote:

> On Sunday, June 17, 2012, Kevin Grittner wrote:
>

>     In terms of confusing entries, though, describing the non-yum option
>     as a "one click installer" makes it sound like it is the fast and
>     easy way to do this.  My experiences with the yum packages is that
>     there are no clicks needed.  I type the apt-get command or pick the
>     package in the GUI package manager and a few secons later I have a
>     running PostgreSQL instance without any further interaction, and
>     which will automatically be updated with new minor releases.  I think
>     we should provide some guidance on the reasons one would want to pick
>     one or the other.
>

> (this is background info, not an argument against the proposed changes):
>
> Well the whole point is that they are faster and easier to get started - one
> package contains server, docs, GUI etc, and following a few clicks everything
> is up and running. Personally I dislike the term 1-click installer as it's
> clearly inaccurate (it's more like 5 clicks), but that's the name that has
> become known and recognised.

FYI, I use the term "click-through installers".

http://enterprisedb.com