Re: Some restructuring of the download section - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Guillaume Lelarge
Subject Re: Some restructuring of the download section
Date
Re: Some restructuring of the download section  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
List pgsql-www
On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 08:44:24 +0800, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>
wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 3:42 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

Debian

>>> FWIW, Red-Hat-based systems have a strong distro policy against
starting
>>> servers merely because the package got installed --- the theory is
that
>>> an "everything" install should not leave the user running a bunch of
>>> servers he doesn't know about and maybe hasn't configured securely.
>>>
>>> I'm a bit surprised to hear that Debian does it differently; although
>>> it's possible that they distinguish manual from automatic install
>>> scenarios.  It's a little bit saner to do an auto service start if you
>>> know that the user explicitly requested this specific package.
>>>

>> When you use aptitude or apt-get to install the server package, it will
>> install the binaires, execute initdb, and start the server. I much
>> prefer the RPM way of doing it (IOW, not starting the server). Anyway,
>> guess there are both pros and cons in both methods.
>
> Yeah. But it's a good point that since they are different, I should
> add info to each of the pages saying exactly how it behaves on that
> specific platform.

I'm not sure this is really our responsibility. The package maintainer
should have a webpage explaining how his packages work.

--
Guillaumehttp://www.postgresql.frhttp://dalibo.com