Re: Some restructuring of the download section - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Some restructuring of the download section
Date
List pgsql-www
On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 10:48 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> So, important things first. Since it contains a lot of cut/paste
> between different places the diff can be a bit hard to read. So I've
> pushed a preview version of it up at
> http://young-window-5672.herokuapp.com/download/. Username is webtest,
> password foobar - to make sure google doesn't end up crawling it for
> me...

Thanks for working on this - it looks good.

> * Remove the strange horizontal menu we used to select platform - it
> didn't correspond to any kind of standard way of doing webpage layout,
> and confused a lot of people

Better remove the other horizontal menu at the top of the page too then :-p

(that's a joke, but seriously, I've never heard of anyone getting
confused by that - and frankly if someone does get confused by a
horizontal list, they probably stand zero chance of using PostgreSQL
without getting confused).

> * Introduce a more granular split between Linux distributions, to be
> able to target information more specifically - instead of a huge
> if/elseif/elseif block between which distro you're on. Results in more
> pages, but a lot more structured and easy to read pages.

The large bold warnings about the installers were added because they
used to be listed at the top of the page, above the platform-specific
packaging options (because they tended to confuse people less). It's
yet to be seen if users will become confused again - we have the info
they should need now, but I suspect that doesn't necessarily mean
they'll read it before emailing us. In any case, I think those
warnings should either be removed or made non-bold now.

> * Update the snapshot download information which has been lacking love
> for a long time

Per the above for the platform packaging warning (though, if you just
un-bold it, it should refer to the packages above, not below).

> * Mac OS X (the Fink and Macports part - I think I have the rest
> covered by bugging people on IRC)

Postgres.app shouldn't be included on there (yet) for a number of reasons:

- We have noone on the packagers list maintaining releases with the
community schedule.
- We haven't had any commitment to maintain releases in line with our
support policy.
- It's still a beta.

--
Dave Page