Re: Some restructuring of the download section - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: Some restructuring of the download section
Date
List pgsql-www
On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 12:21 AM, Kevin Grittner
<Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov> wrote:
> Magnus Hagander  wrote:
>> Kevin Grittner  wrote:
>
>> True. That didn't happen to me because it happens to be right at
>> the edge of a page.
>
> For me that depends on the page.  With RedHat I have to scroll down
> to see it.  With SuSE it slaps me right upside the head by sitting
> right in the middle of the page when it comes up.

That explains it - I've been looking mianly at the redhat page to view things :)

>> Maybe make the "Note" part italic, and just leave the rest as
>> normal font could work?
>
> That might be about right.

Ok, I've tried that and pushed it.

>>> I think we should provide some guidance on the reasons one would
>>> want to pick one or the other.
>>
>> Such as "This repository will integrate with your normal systems
>> and patch management, and provide automatic updates for all
>> supported versions of PostgreSQL throughout the support lifetime of
>> PostgreSQL.", which is there? ;)
>
> Only on the RedHat page.  There is different language, perhaps even
> stronger, on the "Other Linux" page.  But the other pages don't have
> anything similar, and they probably should.

Yeah I'll add it to my list to get something like that in.

>> Any suggestions for a wording that would be better?
>
> I'm afraid I don't know enough about the one-click installer and the
> various options (GUI and otherwise) on other OS's.  I pretty much
> know my way around the Synaptic Package Manager and apt-get on
> Ubuntu, and yast and zypper on SuSE.  And, of course, I rarely use
> any of those for PostgreSQL because I'm generally building from
> source.  The one time I remember choosing the postgresql-8.4 package
> in Ubuntu, I had a running server cluster on my workstation in about
> 30 seconds without doing anything further.

Yeah, that is one of the many advantages :)

>>> One other minor point, I don't think we should use initials like
>>> PPA without defining them somewhere. How is someone not versed in
>>> Linux installer jargon supposed to know what a PPA is and whether
>>> they should consider using one?
>>
>> Well, I'd rather avoid using "Personal Package Archive", because it
>> sounds scary ;) As in it sounds like something that's not
>> supported, to those who don't know what it is. (And frankly, I
>> think that's a big mistake on Ubuntu's part - that it's still
>> Personal Package Archive even if it's stuff that comes from a team,
>> for example. But there's nothing *we* can do about that.)
>
> Yeah, that's a fair point, but I think that people who would be
> scared by that would be even more scared by initials which aren't
> defined, would do a web search to find out what it means, and still
> get to the  "Personal Package Archive" phrase.  Having had to search
> for the phrase might not boost confidence at that point.

Hmm. True. Ok, I've added it for now in parenthesis.

>> But I guess we could add a simple "(Personal Package Archive)"
>> after the term the first time, would that satisfy as a definition?
>
> I'm not sure what makes the most sense -- it should not be repeated a
> lot or stressed, but neither should it be too hard to find if someone
> wants to do so.  Is a footnote an option?  Maybe a short note with it
> to describe what that really means, so as to boost confidence?

Yeah - I tried something like that - hopefully it looks ok?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/